When did Mitch McConnell abandon America

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 03:06 pm
@georgeob1,
George has obviously drunk the kool-aid. With 90 votes in the Senate in favor of the original spending bill, that weasel Ryan blocked it even coming to the floor for debate in the House. Now that His Plumptitude has made a phony issue of it, the conservatives are out in force to whine about it. I'm glad the Democratic leadership has dug in their heels to oppose Plump's phony national security bullsh*t. People come here from Norway (one of Plump's memes) and commit crimes, too. This is all typical Plump smoke and mirrors as he continues to behave like a petulant child.
oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 03:52 pm
@Setanta,
Enjoy your government shutdown then.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 03:55 pm
@Setanta,
No argument from me about Ryan or the last Congress.

I doubt very much that Canada would accept thousands marching across the borders in Maine or out west. Indeed Canadian enforcement has been fairly rigorous - as is their right. We have a situation on our southern border that is out of control, and getting worse. Moreover it may be contributing to the ongoing disintegration in the societies and governance of the Central American countries.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 04:00 pm
@georgeob1,
If we used our government constructively in the south of us countries instead of destabilizing and bullying, they wouldn't be desperate enough to come here.
oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 04:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
We are not responsible for mismanagement imposed by leftist governments of other countries.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 05:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Canada had to toughen up the border after 9/11. We all know why. And it wasn't because desperate Americans were escaping over the border from a murderous government.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 05:34 pm
@glitterbag,
That argument applies to us as well.

My experience has been of fairly rigorous (not onerous) border controls in Canada for a long time preceding 9/11.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 06:03 pm
I wonder where you crossed the border. The only experience I had of tight border controls after September 11th was after a tough new firearms law was passed, and then it was only at night, when idiot Americans thought they could load up the back of the pick-up and cruise across to sell shotguns and handguns illegally. I never had any problem crossing the border, before or after September 11th, except for that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 06:12 pm
By the way, there are old and huge criminal organizations in Italy, and massive amounts of heroine reach our shores through Italy. Plump doesn't seem to be very worried about that.

Oh . . . oh wait--they're white. My bad.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 06:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

By the way, there are old and huge criminal organizations in Italy, and massive amounts of heroine reach our shores through Italy. Plump doesn't seem to be very worried about that.

Oh . . . oh wait--they're white. My bad.

They weren't always White... but that is another story.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 06:48 pm
@Setanta,
Most of the Heroin that illegally enters the US comes via Mexico. U.S law enforcement woke up to the Mafia a few decades ago: It is now a very small shadow of its former self.

Most of my early trips to Canada were through Windsor Ontario to and from a summer place we had in Colchester. I do recall being made to reassemble a partly torn down small outboard motor which we had fruitlessly tried to repair. The customs guy wanted to be sure we weren't smuggling parts or something like that.

Since then I have made numerous trips to Calgary. The border controls have been rigorous but not onerous … polite Canadians.

The issues we face on our Mexican Border are real. Racism is not the motive, though it is now a fashionable cop out for critics.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 09:58 pm
@georgeob1,
Racism certainly is the issue with Plump. From his neglect of Puerto Rico, to his shithole countries remark, calling for more immigration from Norway, he has consistently demonstrated his racist attitudes.

You're making it up as you go along. Heroin comes from southeast Asia, via the middle east and central and western Europe. The largest seizures of heroin in recent years have been in Iran and Turkey. But that doesn't fit the dimwitted conservative narrative, does it? Even the heroin that does come across the Mexican border came from European sources. Additionally, it comes across secreted in vehicles at legal crossing points. That boneheaded wall project wouldn't stop the drugs.

Plump's border wall bullshit is about his enforcing his will. You can bet he doesn't give a rat's ass about heroin addicts. He shold just go over to the capitol and lay down in the rotunda and drum his heels and scream until he gets his way--it would be perfectly in character.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 10:02 pm
I think he figures he has to show his base how tough he is or lose their slavish loyalty.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 01:21 am
@maxdancona,
The only time I've heard anyone say "they weren't always White" was from the racist that lived next door to us when I was a child. I was a born in Baltimore and my parents grew up in the city, almost all the kids my age had at least one grand parent who spoke broken English or English with a brogue like my great aunt and one grandfather. So, it wasn't abnormal to socialize with Polish, Greek, Italian, Jewish, German and folks from Eastern Europe....we simply enjoyed the wonderful food, the weddings and all the other celebrations we were able to attend.

When I was about 9 my mother was taking to the neighbor next door over the fence and he made a rather startling remark about a new neighbor and referred to the family as (pick your racial slur) which startled me....I was confused and said "They're Italian" (I didn't recognize the hateful intent) and he said to me "Italians ain't nothing but a (hateful slur) turned inside out. It was at that point I was introduced to mindless hate, and also learned that some adults are assholes.

To this day I don't understand what anyone hopes to prove by splitting hairs over 'genetics', DNA or other piffle in hopes of making themselves sound superior. It's sad Max, don't do it.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 06:37 am
@glitterbag,
Calm down there Glitterbag. Italians faced racism and were the target or racists anti-imigrant groups including the KKK.

My point is that what the modern Nativists are saying about people from Latin American, earlier Nativists said about Italians. Italians werent considered "white" in the sense that they were portrayed as foreign, inferior, dangerous to Americans and unable to assimilate.

There is no need to be nasty to someone on the same side.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 06:12 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

We are not responsible for mismanagement imposed by leftist governments of other countries.

Weirdly how complacent you are with the mismanagement of our country by the extreme right government that calls itself Russia and the influence of it's president, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, over the Republican Party and our current president.

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 07:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
I do not perceive any such mismanagement.

Trump is protecting us from the liberals. This is a good thing.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:01 pm
I hope Pelosi holds out for citizenship for DACA kids.

With the courts ruling against Trump on DACA he basically tried to give Democrats something they are already winning.

Citizenship for those kids would be a win.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:06 pm
I hope they don't give him a wall.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12:30 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't trust Trump to actually construct something useful....he talks out of his butt....he ignores the experts because he thinks they should have signed a non-disclosure agreement and maybe, just ,maybe they are more loyal to the US than they are to one man.

The founders are rolling in their graves. We are in a terrible situation, and it will take generations to restore a semblance of any former respectability.
0 Replies