My daugters cell phone

KennyE

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:40 pm
EDIT (Moderator): Moved to Legal from Forum Help

Hello everyone,

From what I've been reading, this subject has been talked about before on this site, but here it goes.

My step-daughter is 14. She has had several calls to her cell phone from a private number. They started in mid-March and come at night, mostly at late hours. One message she got afew days ago did everything but threaten her life. It was so disgusting, I was filled with rage when I heard it! I will get to the bottom of this, but can anyone tell me how to trace, or find out a private number?

Thank you for reading this post,

Kenny E
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 690 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:32 am
Report it to the police - it's a form of assault - they should be able to trace it.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:54 am
Good advice. Depending on your jurisdiction it sounds very much like it's a criminal offence and the police should handle it. Don't try and handle it yourself even though you might be sorely tempted, it can lead to all sorts of problems for you.
0 Replies

KennyE

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:31 am
hingehead wrote:
Report it to the police - it's a form of assault - they should be able to trace it.

Thank you, have taken that first step!

Kenny E
0 Replies

KennyE

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:39 am
goodfielder wrote:
Good advice. Depending on your jurisdiction it sounds very much like it's a criminal offence and the police should handle it. Don't try and handle it yourself even though you might be sorely tempted, it can lead to all sorts of problems for you.

Very good advice...since my first instict is to put my fist through his f..... head when I see him!!!! My cell phone provider has told me to change her cell phone number. This, however, is not exceptable!!! I will not relent. I will find this punk and will confront him, with a PD present!

Thank you for your reply,

Kenny E
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:59 am
KennyE wrote:
my first instict is to put my fist through his f..... head

This is almost my first instinct in every situation, and let me tell you, acting on it has gotten me in a lot of trouble many different times. Don't confront him. Don't try to track him down on your own. Don't threaten him back. Don't do anything that could be seen as illegal or inflammatory. Let the police handle him.

Next time this guy calls your daughter, contact the police right away, just in case there is some issue with time and tracing the call. Unless they've already been able to trace it. And you're right, being forced to change the number is very hard to accept as the best option. But if it really comes down to it, keeping this guy and other guys he knows from calling your daughter in the future should also be a priority. I'd say contact the police, change the number, and hope he's dealt with swiftly. Of course, the final decision is up to you and how you feel about the situation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:40 am
I am very surprised the police did anything but take down your report. Normally they are unable to do anything unless the perpetrator acts. Which is scary in a lot of situations. Did they take the report for harrassment?

Good luck with this. It is probably nothing but a nasty minded teenager who has terrible parents and nothing to do at night but call your daughters cell phone and harrass her.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:10 am
So what is the big deal about changing her number? I think that is the cleanest way of dealing with the situation, safely. The only problem is, that if she starts to get call from the same person under a new number, you will know that the calls were made by one of her "friends".

Also, doesn't your daughter's phone have caller ID? If it does, you can check back, and you will know the number from which the call was made.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:17 am
You could also set up the phone service to simply refuse calls that have private numbers. If anyone wants to call your daughter, they would be forced to give up their identity.

I think thats the way it should be anyway.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:37 am
I don't know where you live, KennyE, but this was the process I had to go through when I was getting nuisance calls here (Australia) a couple of years ago. For Telecom (phone service provider) to have the authority to trace & identify the caller I had to report the calls to the police. Action (by the police) would be taken only after a certain number of calls, all of which were reported to Telecom. Perhaps you could enquire about what you need to do, where you live?
Surely the main concern here is your daughter? Why not simply change the number & hope the nuisance caller disappears & stops harassing her?
0 Replies