Should I attend Mass if I am not officially Catholic and haven't read the Bible yet?

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:49 pm
Hi,

I have since a half year ago attended Catholic Church services (Sunday meetings), because I believed more in God and Jesus Christ than what I have been growing up with.

I was raised to be a Buddhist by my parents, but I never really felt like one because we never went to a temple and I also never was interested in that lifestyle.

Since my cousin recommended me to go Church, I decided to give it a go. Had been wanting to go there with a fellow Christian friend for quite a while. I used to be a very naughty and sinful person.Over the half year, I started venturing more into this Protestant/Catholic community. Have heard stories from both sides and they sound great.

I do believe that Jesus Christ is my lord and savior who woke up from the dead. Every time I just pray and realize what Jesus has done for us so we could have eternal life I ask myself "What have we done in our lives to receive such a holy gift from the Lord? Why would someone as holy as Jesus sacrifice himself to die for us, for our sins for us unworthy sinful people?" That's truly what my heart told me as far as I can remember.

My question is, I have not been baptized yet, and sometimes cause of work I can't attend Mass. I am not officially a Roman Catholic yet, but I want to be baptized as soon as possible. I told this all to the pastor of the local church I am going to. He says it's okay, but to remember the Holy Sabbath in some sort of way if I can't go to church (praying, repenting for not going, saturday services).

I truly enjoy the church, but sometimes I just cannot come to my church and sometimes I don't understand what they are talking about because I haven't read the Catholic Bible fully yet. I have received communion though, but this was unexpectedly I didn't know, will I go to hell for this?

My question is: Should I attend mass if I haven't fully understood the Bible yet as I need to fully read it and am not officially baptized so not Catholic?

Please let me know
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,455 • Replies: 5
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:54 pm
@duodokkans,
Why not? If you enjoy the services, why wouldn't you go?

I don't understand your hesitation.
duodokkans

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:01 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't know, I really want to go but if I don't understand the Bible and so the teaching of Jesus and God yet, what point would there be?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:03 pm
@duodokkans,
Part of attending mass is learning about the bible and how a particular priest/parish believe its lessons should be applied in real life.

Go when you can, donate, don't take communion, start reading the bible.

Talk to the priest about taking classes to prepare you for conversion/baptism. Be prepared to study.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:04 pm
@duodokkans,
You'll learn about Jesus and the Bible through attending mass and various other church functions.

Another point of attending mass is to get to know the other congregants and form friendships with them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:23 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Go when you can, donate, don't take communion, start reading the bible.
I concur. I don't think they would want a non-Catholic taking communion. But I think participating in the rest of mass would be welcome.

Just kneel when everyone else kneels. Stand when everyone else stands. Sit when everyone else sits. And be prepared to switch on short notice.
0 Replies