Adoption through gay marriage

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:11 pm
What do you really think about such a topic? It is being slowly legalized around the world but is still a mysterious kind of issue...
Is anyone of you involved in adopting children by gay marriages? What are your views/comments/objections .. and can anyone of you link me to a website or an organization or article that would argue on such a debate?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 901 • Replies: 13
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:23 pm
I am not gay, but I have adopted a child and there are
many many unfortunate children out there who need loving
parents. It should not make a difference if the potential
adoptive parents are gay or not. If they are willing to give
a child a home and lots of love, they've got my respect.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 03:53 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
It should not make a difference if the potential
adoptive parents are gay or not. If they are willing to give
a child a home and lots of love, they've got my respect.

I agree 100%! We also have an adopted daughter, by the way.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:20 pm
Good for you Reyn.
To adopt, was the best decision I ever made. Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:23 pm
Well, this should be for another thread, really:

We had a lot of problems with our adopted daughter. My wife and I love her, but the experience put us through a ton of grief. It wasn't because she was mentally-challenged, but the fact that the whole adoption was botched from start to finish. She was 5 1/2 at the time (now 23), and should have been adopted out at least 3 years earlier.

More another day, and another thread.....
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:15 pm
I think in the day and age of 63% of hetro marriages ending in divorce and plenty of the ones staying together beating thier kids.

Let the homosexuals have a go - they can't do any worse than hetero's.

On a more serious note though. Kids need love. Thats it - Love and attention. If there is pair of partners willing to give that to them - more power to them.

If thier is a God - I have a feeling he has much better things to do than keep loving, homosexuals, who live a good life and love thier children out of heaven.

Besides, the fundi's should realize that 'thou shalt not judge' is a commandment from Christ - and homosexual relations were Moses law (overridden by Christ - in thier own religion) and Paul (who last time I checked - was not Jesus).

By the Christian Rights own religion Homosexuality is no greater sin than the original sin they believe we all are born with. What is thier claim? That Jesus's love can cover all other sin but that? Stupid, backwards, and assinine.

Sorry about the soapbox - this one just lights me up. I just want to shout 'Love your brother - you assholes!'

Can you tell I live in Texas and can't stand it.

TTF
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:50 am
As a social worker, my mother has dealt with adoptive placements to gay couples, and I am informed that the procedure in the UK is to only place a child with a gay couple if there is a very close family friend of the unrepresented sex. They feel the child should have strong male and female influences on their upbringing.

I tend to agree with the way of thinking. In fact, I generally think that more than two parental influences on a child might be a good thing - it could lead to greater open-mindedness, and a greater range of interests.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:44 am
Calamity, Reyn,

It's so great to see adoptive parents, though I'm sorry all the trouble you had to go through with the program Reyn.

I too will adopt once I am older. I see no logical reasoning behind popping out more kids when there are so, so many who are already suffering or in need of a stable home.

ThinkFactory,

I agree completely - and wonderfully said!

I wish there were more people who had this open-minded view on the issue, I appreciate seeing it somewhere.

Djbt,

I can get a feel for why you would want influences of both sexes. However, I also think that can be attributed (somewhat) to mere normality. We're used to seeing a man and a woman raise a child. No one ever said that's the best way - we know damn well it's not foolproof. Besides, there are millions of single-parents out there now that provide influence from only one gender...and you don't find the government stepping in to say "nope, sorry, you're not worthy enough to have a child since you aren't identical to my way of living, and so we're going to take it away from you now," as soon as the mother/father becomes single.

I am all for homosexuals having adopted children - I say more power to them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:25 am
I'm sorry to hear that Reyn. We have to realize that
every child (own or adopted) has its own personality, character trades and problems. They come that way, all we can do
is love them, teach them values and hope they turn out exactly
the way we hoped for. It not always happens the way we
planned it, even with birth children.

Thank you sanctuary, I think so too! Children need love,
love and more love. Whoever is willing to provide that, cannot
go wrong. It doesn't matter who the caregiver ist, as long
as the child's needs are met. We're all a match box society
with single parents, second/third marriage families and
now gay parents. And I am certain that children growing
up in a gay household will do just as well as others.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:04 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
Let the homosexuals have a go - they can't do any worse than hetero's.

Again, I can only say that I totally agree with this statement. Especially in this day and age where there is a shortage (at least in our province) of adoptive homes for certain types of children.

Of course, like any other potential adoptive parents, they are thoroughly checked out, like it should be. I never had a problem with that.

djbt wrote:
They feel the child should have strong male and female influences on their upbringing.

I tend to agree with the way of thinking. In fact, I generally think that more than two parental influences on a child might be a good thing - it could lead to greater open-mindedness, and a greater range of interests.

Again, this may, or may not, be ideal. What about if there are no available "hetro" couples? Older children, or those with "special needs" are much harder to place. I say if same sex couples are available and want to do it, check them out, and let them do it, if all is okay.

Sanctuary wrote:
Calamity, Reyn,

It's so great to see adoptive parents, though I'm sorry all the trouble you had to go through with the program Reyn.

We were not given the whole truth about the child we adopted, and she was left too long in foster care.

One day, I will tell the whole story in the Parenting forum.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:03 am
Quote:
We were not given the whole truth about the child we adopted, and she was left too long in foster care.

One day, I will tell the whole story in the Parenting forum.

This seems to be common practice at Social SErvices. They
want the children to be adopted and often times omit vital
information from their past.

I hope you'll tell your story one day....
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:44 am
You've got to admit it's efficient. Heterosexual couples (or not couples) have children they don't want. Homosexual couples want children they can't create. Children want a home to live in, when there aren't enough to go around. Kill three birds with one stone, allow gay adoption.

A solution that elegant has to be the right one.

If our society was a little less isolationist then perhaps we wouldn't have to worry about absent role-models. But that's a rant for another day.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
WG:

What did Einstien say; When the answer is clear - God is talking.

Tell the funi's that about Gay adoption and watch thier head implode. Not that it would be a bad thing....

TF
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:15 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
What did Einstien say; When the answer is clear - God is talking.

I've always liked Einstein. He's not as much fun as Da Vinci sometimes, but he's got a lot of good things to say.
0 Replies