Supreme Court's Ruling Upholding 'three-Strikes' sentencing

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:43 pm
Excerpts From the Supreme Court's Ruling Upholding 'three-Strikes' Sentencing
The Associated Press
Published: Mar 5, 2003

The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld California's tough "three-strikes" law aimed at keeping repeat criminals behind bars. Here are some excerpts from the 5-4 judgment, and the dissent.
--------------------

From the main opinion, written by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and joined by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justice Anthony Kennedy:

"Between 1993 and 1995, three strikes laws effected a sea change in criminal sentencing throughout the nation. These laws responded to widespread public concerns about crime by targeting the class of offenders who pose the greatest threat to public safety: career criminals."

"When the California legislature enacted the three strikes law, it made a judgment that protecting the public safety requires incapacitating criminals who have already been convicted of at least one serious or violent crime. Nothing in the Eighth Amendment prohibits California from making that choice."

"Ewing was convicted of felony grand theft for stealing nearly $1,200 worth of merchandise after previously having been convicted of at least two 'violent' or 'serious' felonies. Even standing alone, Ewing's theft should not be taken lightly."

"In weighing the gravity of Ewing's offense, we must place on the scales not only his current felony, but also his long history of felony recidivism."

"Ewing's sentence is justified by the state's public-safety interest in incapacitating and deterring recidivist felons, and amply supported by his own long, serious criminal record."

---

From Justice Antonin Scalia's separate opinion concurring in the judgment:

"The plurality is not applying law but evaluating policy. Because I agree that (Ewing's) sentence does not violate the Eighth Amendment's prohibition against cruel and unusual punishments, I concur in the judgment."

---

From a dissenting opinion written by Justice Stephen Breyer and joined by Justices John Paul Stevens, David Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

"The Eighth Amendment forbids, as 'cruel and unusual punishment,' prison terms ... that are grossly disproportionate," to the crime, as the high court has interpreted that principle.

"I believe that the case before us is a rare case - one in which a court can say with reasonable confidence that the punishment is grossly disproportionate to the crime."

"Well-publicized instances of shoplifting suggest that the offense is often punished without any prison sentence at all."

Apart from sentences under the three strikes law, California "reserves the sentence that it here imposes upon former-burglar-now-golf-club-thief Ewing, for nonrecidivist, first-degree murderers."

"As to other jurisdictions, we know the following: The United States, bound by the federal sentencing guidelines, would impose upon a recidivist such as Ewing a sentence that, in any ordinary case, would not exceed 18 months in prison."

"Outside the California three strikes context, Ewing's recidivist sentence is virtually unique in its harshness for his offense of conviction, and by a considerable degree."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,896 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:13 pm
Eek, this is the first I've seen of this. Do you have the cite for the case itself?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:21 pm
EWING v. CALIFORNIA
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=01-6978

LOCKYER, ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CALIFORNIA v. ANDRADE
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=01-1127
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:23 pm
ACLU/SC Urges U.S. Supreme Court to Reject California's Use of Three Strikes Law for Petty Criminals

http://www.aclu-sc.org/News/Releases/2002/100052/
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:47 pm
Over the past 30years the courts of this nation, both state and Federal have ceased to be venues of adjudication and have become vindictive instruments of punishment. This, in my opinion, reflects a rising level of hysteria in this country that I would attribute to the rapid and undirected rate of social/cultural change. No one knows the "rules" any more because it seems there are no predictable rules. The courts and legislature now flail at what is conceived to be a growing disorder and attempts to impose an order on what is feared to be an approaching chaos. At one time people like Ewing would have been considered a local character, small time menace and have been handled accordingly. Now each of these cases is presented of as an example of a growing national disorder and use to set an "example" for an audience that is not there.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:57 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Over the past 30years the courts of this nation, both state and Federal have ceased to be venues of adjudication and have become vindictive instruments of punishment. This, in my opinion, reflects a rising level of hysteria in this country that I would attribute to the rapid and undirected rate of social/cultural change. No one knows the "rules" any more because it seems there are no predictable rules.

An excellent observation/statement. I'd expand the 30 years to something closer to 60 or 70 but otherwise.. Right on the button.
0 Replies