Can combining horror and comedy in a film Work?

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:36 pm
I think for the ultimate film, make one that dares to break your gut with laughter then tightens your spinkter with horror. For example Marlon B. is saying" the horror , the horror" when the duracell bunny comes marching in on his scene. Marlon barks get that blasted pink bunny outta my sight and smashes it with his fist. you appauld as the bunny falls apart with springs bouncing everywhere, the eyes popping out etc. At that point Marlon looks at his hand , a small electrode is stuck in his skin when he goes to pull it out you see it fry the flesh off his fist like the imagined scene from Dune when Paul puts his hand in the gom jabbar. he goes racing out of the room because Elizabeth Taylor is in a tizzy and wants to use the lue. As Marlon departs some of his desolving flesh splashes on Elizabeths dress and burns a big whole in the fabric. Elizabeth snaps back at a distressed Marlon who's writhing in pain and says thats the holiest thing you've ever done but how am I going to go to my botox party looking like this....... Ok maybe thats not the best example, but do you see what I mean? Any more examples out there??? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,466 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:47 am
It has been done, although the example of which i'm thinking is mostly comic, and not really very much in the way of horror. Check out Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Hunters. I always rather liked the scene in Jurassic Park which shows the corporate geek caught in the outhouse by the T Rex . . .

interesting idea . . .

okbye
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 01:08 pm
Wasn't it "The Shinning" with the "Heeeere's Johhny!" line from the knife weilding nutcase while he's chasing people down?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 01:22 pm
Algis, hmm, strange example. I guess the Scream movies were meant to be like that. But I think the comedy has to come first, as after some horror stuff I think most people don't feel like laughing. Then again, it might be used as a tension release. I dunno.

PS It might be the angle but your avatar resembles James Spader.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 01:59 pm
"Paranha" is my favorite horror/comedy. The classic line, "Ah, sir, the paranha are eating the guest," after everyone had discounted the threat left me helpless with laughter the first time I saw the film.
"Alligator" was also played up for humor with references to "Jaws." "Gremlins" is also a hoot -- the gremlin in the microwave -- oh, my gawd! I think it works quite well and "Ghostbusters" is probably the most popular of what should be a seperate genre. In college and when I was a member of the Los Angeles Science Fanasy Society, several of us got together to produce a short spoof to be called "Attack of the Giant Ladybug." We almost went into production when the financing fell through. It was basically a shaggy dog story with a giant ladybug landing aside the Griffith Park Observatory and just lying there inert. Of course, the scientist, his girlfriend, the dumb army general (the usual cast) shows up and although the ladybug isn't bothering anyone, they decide it is a threat to humanity and start bombing it, electricuting it, gassing it and nothing happens. Finally at the end, the girlfriend recites "Ladybug, ladybug...."
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:02 pm
How about Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. As a kid this one both scared me and made me laugh. As an adult, it just makes me laugh.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:41 pm
Hazlitt ~ you just mentioned one of the few older movies that I own.

I agree with you completely! I was scared as a kid watching that movie, but it's a hoot to see now!

Abbott and Costello ~ wow ~ what a great, great team. Thanks for reminding me! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:29 am
Carry On Screaming is another one of those scary movies as a child but it does quickly become atrocious and far from funny as was intended.

Braindead -while not "horror" is hysterical and the completely over the top gore helps make it so.
"I kick ass for the Lord" is my favourite quote and the action to follow is side splitting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:04 am
I just mentioned a film on another thread that fits this perfectly.
Peter Jackson's "The Frighteners," which combined sardonic humor with truly scary effects and storyline.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:17 am
How 'bout "Innocent Blood",..the one with Anthony LaPaglia as the detective under cover in the mob, who falls in love with the female vampire who feeds on criminals?
I loved that movie, good people in it too,..Angela Basset, Don Rickles, Robert Loggia.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:52 pm
Young Frankinstein?

That movie where Glenn Close boils the bunny? There were some funny parts.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 04:24 pm
I'll have to see that JD. Thanks
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 04:42 pm
Fargo, Catch 22?

Not horror, really, but elements of it - and very funny.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:02 pm
How about the Evil Dead movies? Thought those were hilarious, and lots of gore...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:20 pm
There were scenes in Hannibal that were rather funny -- particularly some of the stuff that went on in Italy -- and that certainly was a screamer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:07 pm
try watching Dead Alive... or Army of Darkness.
0 Replies