The no lerve, no-flirting, no sexual innuendo thread.

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Those look like little bunny breast implants.

Well. They aren't.

Yes, Squinney - I do believe I have heard a whisper to that effect.

However, there is always another one.

Forever and forever and forever .....to the last syllable of recorded time......all those weird hats reaching forward and backward.....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:59 am
Uh.... dlowan, that was swimpy who posted that the pope was dead not squinney. Did you get lemon juice in your eye or somethin'
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:02 am
Gawd, how I love that wabbit!

Ooops! Sorry! Wrong thread!

<Runs from room>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:05 am
Shooting concentrated lemon juice after Squinney.

I beg your pardon Swimpy.

The Pope's death came as quite a shock.

He was a young man.

In Biblical terms.

Think of Methuselah.

And all the very long-lived begats.

We ar ebut pale shadows of our former mighty-thewed selves - a sadly diminished race...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:06 am
Pope John Paul II was "a very physical guy and very good at sports," California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger says, expressing admiration for the pontiff's devotion to physical fitness.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:08 am
<pinching the bunnyButt>

<running for safety in the love thread>
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:10 am
ehBeth wrote:
<pinching the bunnyButt>

<running for safety in the love thread>

Please post in a conspicuous place:

Before returning to the love thread, all posters are required by A2K law to wash their hands.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:11 am
Ha - I am wearing steel bun covers!

( Bunny armour:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~crossby/ECW/tech/armour.jpg

)

Indeed Dys - the most sensible thing ever uttered by our dear governator.

The Pope was a real hunk.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:14 am
Wearing those hats had to have thickened the Popes neck, I would think. Perhaps Arnie could promote this as a new exercise program in the schools.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:14 am
dlowan wrote:
The Pope's death came as quite a shock.

He was a young man.

In Biblical terms.

Think of Methuselah.

And all the very long-lived begats.

Yeah, why is that? Didn't Abraham live to be...like...a thousand years old or something? And in those days, they didn't even have managed healthcare!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:17 am
Indeed - they had to manage for themselves - and womanage too, I trow.

Lincoln's long lif ewas, as I understand it, sadly curtailed by the passage of a lead projectile through his august cranium.

An early, and deadly, form of leaden method acting.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:17 am
I wonder what Guido Sarducci is doing these days. With the Pope gone he might be out of a job.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:18 am
squinney wrote:
Wearing those hats had to have thickened the Popes neck, I would think. Perhaps Arnie could promote this as a new exercise program in the schools.

You interest me strangely Squinney - the neck developing Mightre?

Hmmmmmmmmm.......
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:19 am
dlowan wrote:

Lincoln's long lif ewas, as I understand it, sadly curtailed by the passage of a lead projectile through his august cranium.

He should have told the usher I'll pass on the booth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:21 am
Swimpy wrote:
I wonder what Guido Sarducci is doing these days. With the Pope gone he might be out of a job.

Heavens - I had to Google him. Never heard of him.

He looks like my sort of guy - sort of celibate...and cerebral...

http://home.earthlink.net/~sarasohn/images/guido1.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:25 am
The bunny didn't know Father Guido?

<thud>

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rjbarlow/bunny/bunny_butt2.jpg

<and one more pinch to go>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:25 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
dlowan wrote:

He should have told the usher I'll pass on the booth.

Ever heard of The Phantom Tollbooth?

The Phantom Tollbooth

And:

The road to Dictionopolis

Norton Juster, author of "The Phantom Tollbooth," talks about infinity, romantic triangles and just where that mysterious package came from.

By Laura Miller
- - - - - - - - - -

March 12, 2001 | When you're a kid, the authors of your favorite books seem superhuman and remote. They lived long ago, like Louisa May Alcott, or far away, like A.A. Milne. Either way, it was hard to believe that these Olympian beings, capable of inventing worlds and characters so immediately, so powerfully real, could possibly be regular people, just like your parents and teachers. Then one day, you find yourself walking past the Books of Wonder children's bookstore in Manhattan (worth a visit when you're in town) and you spot a sign in the window. Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer will be autographing copies of their books, including the immortal 1961 classic, "The Phantom Tollbooth."

Whoa. You mean Norton Juster -- creator of Milo, the boy who one day receives the mysterious gift of an assembly-required toy turnpike tollbooth and magically enters the Lands Beyond, where he embarks on a quest to rescue the maidens Rhyme and Reason from exile and thereby reconcile the estranged kingdoms of Dictionopolis and Digitopolis -- that Norton Juster, walks among us mortals? If you're lucky, you've become a literary journalist, and you can invite Juster, an architect and retired teacher who lives in Massachusetts, to come by your office for an interview. And if you are indeed that lucky, you'll find him to be a robust 72, definitely a regular guy, but nevertheless as warm and witty as you could ever hope.

How did you wind up writing "The Phantom Tollbooth"?

I submitted a grant to do a children's book about urban aesthetics, how you experience and use cities. In six months I was up to my neck in 3-by-5 cards and I realized I was not really enjoying myself. I took a break to visit some friends at the beach and to take my mind off of it, and I began doing what I thought was a little story, going nowhere, just to clear my head. It just kept going.

When I had about 50 pages a friend took it to Random House, and they liked it and offered me a contract to finish the book, which really depressed me because it was no longer a game.

That's funny because one of the scariest characters in "The Phantom Tollbooth" is the Terrible Trivium, a very elegant gentleman with no face at all. His motto is that "there's always something to do to keep you from what you really should be doing."
The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics
By Norton Juster

80 pages

Seastar Publishing

Fiction

Exactly. Someone I've known from childhood says that I can sit at my desk with something real to do and realize that I have to straighten out the paper clips, or there's something happening out the window, or a shopping list that has to be compiled. There's always something. Everyone has that kind of demon in their life; though, like all of the demons in "The Phantom Tollbooth," it's also very particular to me.

Yet it's ironic that something you started in order to avoid doing something else turned out to be such a remarkable achievement.

The secret, at least in my life, is that if you want to do something you have to do something else to get away from that and that's the thing that turns out to be worthwhile -- whatever you're doing to escape from doing what you're supposed to be doing.

One of the things that seems to really strike a chord with people in "The Phantom Tollbooth" is Milo's state of mind at the book's beginning: "When he was in school he longed to be out, and when he was out he longed to be in. On the way he thought about coming home, and coming home he thought about going. Wherever he was he wished he were somewhere else, and when he got there he wondered why he'd bothered. Nothing really interested him -- least of all the things that should have." I suspect that the first thing people today would say about Milo is that he's depressed.

That was a problem I had back then, too. Milo's not a dysfunctional kid. He's very typical. I kept having to rewrite those sections because I didn't want him to come across as someone who had these deep psychological problems. He just couldn't figure out why he was being oppressed by all these things. When you think about it, kids get an extraordinary number of facts thrown at them, and nothing connects with anything else. As you get older, all these threads begin to appear, and you realize that almost everything you come across connects to six other things that you know about.

Kids don't know this. You give them a date, or a historical figure, or some fact in math or science and that's it. They're just disembodied things that don't mean anything. Milo doesn't know where he fits in any of this and why he has to learn all of it.

When the book first came out in the early '60s, the revealed wisdom was that you could not give kids anything to read beyond what they knew already. There were vocabulary lists. Lord help you if you put words in a book for ages 6 to 8, or 8 to 10 that they felt a child of that age couldn't understand. They also thought that fantasy was very bad for children because it disoriented them. It's changed somewhat for the better. The publishers told me that they had great misgivings because they thought that the book was too far beyond children.

But I've found in my travels, talking with kids, that they like the story and if a story is compelling for them, they'll get by any difficulty. They'll get involved with something that interests them. I think that's the great secret; it's being interesting rather than sticking to those artificial standards that they set up.......

MORE

You stretched the freaking thread, Beth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
the bunny bum did it

Cool
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
MMM! Bunny Bum with marmalade!

DEEE-LICIOUS!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:11 am
dlowan wrote:
Nah - it's fun.

Anyone know if cats really do try to chase laser pointer lights?

Yup! Ours love it! :wink:

Nice thread, by the way.....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:34:56