The no lerve, no-flirting, no sexual innuendo thread.

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
For a "no sexual innuendo thread," this thread has gotten somewhat unraveled, what? Think you should retitle it, Deb, pick some udder headline, maybe?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
great. muu-muu. anyone care to explain that to us foreigners?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:44 pm
http://www.hilohattie.com/items.cfm?catid=18&objectgroup_id=127
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:46 pm
Damn! I didn't even know that Hilo Hattie had a website.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:53 pm
Guys, those links don't work.

Dag, a muu-muu is an Hawaiian dress, which is voluminous, to say the least. Prior to the introduction of Christianity to paradise, people there walked about naked. Christian missionaries were horrified (and probably obsessively fascinated, as well), and insisted that the women put dresses on--especially the fat ones, which were quite a few, as the culture considered hugely obese women to be sexy, and a sign of the affluence and success of the family. So the muu-muu is a shapeless dress, of tent-like proportions, with a close collar, short sleaves, reaching to the ankles.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:59 pm
Yer right, Set. Link didn't work for me either. I posted that rejoinder to Soz without trying to go to the site 'cuz I know the exact location of Hilo Hattie's in Hilo on the Big Island. Right on Route 11, heading out of Hilo toward Kea'au.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:08 pm
ah yes, that makes more sense than everything i imagined.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:22 pm
Muu-muus:

http://www.nursinghomeapparel.com/shop/media/F138_big.jpg

The modern muu-muu does not reach to the ankles, nor have the close collar, but is otherwise basically what the missionaries had in mind, to cool their own fevered libidos.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:35 pm
Muu-muus are suddenly abhorrent to me -- which means that my fond memories of Mrs. Roper are forever tainted.

Maybe this explains why:

my heroin-loving Croatian pharmacology guy wrote:
...activation of NMDA receptors requires not only binding of synaptically released glutamate but simultaneous depolarization of the postsynaptic membrane. This is achieved by activation of AMPA/kainate receptors at nearby synapses with inputs from different neurons. Thus, NMDA receptors may function as 'coincidence detectors,' being activated only when there is simultaneous firing of two or more neurons.

Damn it, it's springtime here in the properly oriented horizontal hemisphere. Can't I be required to read anything more to do with the verboten subjects in this thread?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:40 pm
Don't get yer tail in a twist, doggie. Our Dear Wabbit lives in the Antipodes, on the other side of the planet. As this means that she walks around upside down all the time, the pooling of blood in her brain frequently leads her into unwise strictures in her threads.

In short, just ignore her.

Instead, focus on the image of nubile young Hawaiian girls, before they've had a chance to chow down and fatten up, surfing in the nude.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . nude surfing . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:45 pm
Odd. In my mind they are surfing in the ocean, buck nekkid.*

"Naked," as my grandfather instructed me, refers to the state of clotheslessness. "Nekkid" describes a similar state, but suggests that "yer fixin' to do something about it."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:46 pm
Heh! Your grandfather sounds way cooler than my grandpa.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:46 pm
Your grandfather was very, very wise.

You know, i've always wondered why people have focused on the nekkidity of bucks--by the same standard, any other animal is nekkid.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:52 pm
made me wonder, so i went the way of the unimaginative nincompoop in a digression thread: i googled it.

Quote:
Buck naked, slang for 'completely naked' came on the scene in the late 1920's, and the qualified buck-ass naked a bit later. It's one of those terms which is most often accompanied by the irritating phrase "of obscure orig." or "origin unk." Given the preceding array of choices, one might hazard (as only one of my sources did) that the buck in buck naked refers to the color of buckskin, along the lines of "buff," as in "in the buff." But, while we're conjecturing, I might propose another possible etymology. Around the same time that buck naked was making its debut, so was another slang term, bucket, for 'buttocks, rump.' Shorten bucket to buck, and you've got a term for 'ass-naked,' which makes sense in a very, erm, transparent way.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20001005

must say, though -- it is an answer almost worthy of the digressive...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
You lot are in such trouble when I get home.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
Then there is bare naked. Is it possible to be naked, and not be bare?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:55 pm
dlowan wrote:
You lot are in such trouble when I get home.

Dinner's in the oven, dear. I've gone walkabout.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:00 pm
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned . . .

Obviously, Congreve was not familiar with Antipodean Wabbits . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:11 pm
Ay, but the sheeps was noivuss.

(dial-a-dialect)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:12 pm
In days of old
When men were bold
And sheep made themselves scarce . . .
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 08:32:52