Does everyone have "untapped" potential?

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:17 pm
you know, every young person will grow up, and wonder, what they are worth. what am I good at? what should I do for a living? do something that i am good at? do something that makes the most money?

What is your talent? do you think everyone has some kind of unique talent, that with the right education, can show the unchallenged expertise in that area?

I was just thinking, you know, being in this world for this long, and having seen a lot of things already, sometimes I wonder, what is my talent? It seems that I have the basic concepts in a little bit of everything. science, computers, math, english, music instruments, communication, retail, etc etc.

Unfortunately, I know about all those subjects, but i dont see myself being very very good(expert level, prodigy) in any of those areas. I guess my education is not focused in any one area, but generally, just spread all across the board.

I mean, just the way that our brains are all unique and different, Our our mind built in a way, where we all have a knack for something, but we just haven't unlocked that secret yet?

Ofcourse, some might say why strive for the best? why want to be a prodigy in something? I dont know, to me, I feel that I like almost everything; all sorts of science, math, english, music, history.....bu it kind of sucks when you try to advance yourself in an area, but just can't seem to pass that line to be "He is really good at _____"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,571 • Replies: 22
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:30 am
you're a dilettante, basically. welcome to the club. i've felt that i haven't amounted to much, but perhaps it's not in the cards. i've tried from time to time to help others reach their potential. for instance, i took a stab at teaching a few years back, at considerable expense, but it didn't pan out. right now i'm going for a library science degree, but i'm keeping my day job.

a nice thing somebody once told me was--i'm paraphrasing--that the world is a better place with me in it. that's the most one can expect, i think, so i hope it's true of you & me.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 12:21 pm
Re: Does everyone have "untapped" potential?
semidevil wrote:
Do you think everyone has some kind of unique talent, that with the right education, can show the unchallenged expertise in that area?

Yes. Finding where you're talented, coupled with the proper levels of devotion and rigor: this is what produces greatness.

You're basically talking about the process of identifying your true passion. What are you passionate about? What until now have you loved more than anything? The problem is, like everything it seems, is that even if you find it (personally, I'd say either Nietzsche scholarship or music), it costs $$$ to persue. I can't afford to spend ten hours a day studying Nietzsche; I can't afford to build a recording studio in my basement.

So we're left to tread water, going to school, working a stupid job, in efforts to make money so that we may persue our dreams. Most people never make enough money to do it.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:36 pm
Every single one of us has untapped potential. All of us.

No one has used all of their potential.

It is kind of a bit humbling actually, when you think about all the potential we have, and how little we tap it.

How many of us honestly try our very best to tap our deepest potentialities on a regular basis?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:47 pm
Re: Does everyone have "untapped" potential?
Nietzsche wrote:

So we're left to tread water, going to school, working a stupid job, in efforts to make money so that we may persue our dreams. Most people never make enough money to do it.

Thats the catch.

And sometimes you really have to be ready to throw yourself out there and fail, if you want to hit it big. The Beatles played in dunghole clubs for years before they got famous. I don't think any of them necessarily had side jobs, they were just willing to be broke doing what they actually wanted to do.

Jay Leno had a line about this. Be careful about getting a great paying waiter job to support your pursuit of an acting career. Because at some point, after a few years, if that job is too cushy, you become: a waiter.

Easier said than done, I know.

Its hard. Working some stupid job that uses up all your time and energy and detracts from what you really want to do.

One thing is though: people usually don't make tons of money then go do what they want like start a music career or something. You'll never make enough money in time to do that. The thing that usually must be done is one figures out how to make $$$ doing what they want. Even if it is a pittance. ie What about financial aid, grants, etc. to get degrees in Philosophy, Master's in Philosophy, heck Ph.D in philosophy with an emphasis in Nietzsche, then teach the subject?

I know several professor types who did this. Took their passion, and now they study it and discuss it to death, and they get paid for it. You gotta be good though. Very good.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:08 pm
extra, I can't disagree with a single word.

Sort of takes me back to one of my earliest personal philosopical observations: it's not that we don't know what to do, or don't know how to do it, but that we just don't do it.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:10 pm
We can't all do that though. Where would we eat?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:20 am
I think it was Thomas Edison who said: Genious is 10 % inspiration and 90 % hard work.

My talent is "listening". I have the ability to empty my mind and soak up my surroundings like a sponge.

My passion is music and poetry. I cannot afford to build a studio at home either, but I did anyway. I'm paying my ass off, but it's worth it.

There is a difference between being good at something and actually doing it. If the dream is true the problem will not be to take the first step in following it. The problem will be trying to stay away from it.

As I said, my talent is "listening". I am not really sure it's a talent though. Maybe it is just the fruits of the realization that to learn is not to ask questions. It is to listen to the answers given.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:14 pm
I like your style, Cyracuz. You've got a good attitude.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:43 am
Thanks Nietzche. I try. Smile
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 04:48 am
Cyracuz

Quote:
As I said, my talent is "listening". I am not really sure it's a talent though. Maybe it is just the fruits of the realization that to learn is not to ask questions. It is to listen to the answers given.
[/QUOTE]

So, you are a sponge. You absorb all information around you. But don't forget that, even sponges, must select information: some information becomes nutrient, some is expelled. How do you do that?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 05:18 am
Recently I have noticed I need some sort of creative outlet in my life.I love designing clothes and started to make greetings cards.
Im more of a visual/arty person than an academic type.
Retaining information is not my strong point.
I dont have any what would be considered 'talent' at the moment to get myself a well paid job, therefore i dont really have the kind of money to spend to get into a creative type job.
I reckon given the time, money and encouragement I could get really good at it.I can also see myself being bossy.A true Leo.

Wouldnt it be great if we could realise our talents and do a job that we enjoy.Imagine the extra output we'd generate just because we loved our jobs!!

What if people had a talent but didnt enjoy it.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 05:50 am
Material girl, the general rule when you want to do start up a new business, be it a record label or a seven eleven franchise, is that you should get yourself in a financial position that enables you to work for free for some time.

And you don't need money to be creative.

Val, same way everyone does I guess. Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
I have a full time job now and its so quite(90% of the day) that I could make them whilst at work.Earn money whilst earning money.Hoorah!!

Sadly I need a loada money be be as creative as id like to be.I have the money, its just parting with it that I have trouble with, knowing that it could go towards something more valid eg buying a house, or buying loads of equipment then going off the idea which I have been known to do .But I know I need to create so Im part of the way to realising my potential.

Whats with this sponge thing!!Is that why I get water retension in my tummy?!!
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
Cyracuz

Yes, yes. But what I asked was different: you absorb information then process it (interpretation of the information, selecting the useful one and rejecting the rest). Now, how do you do that?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:04 am
What I mean is that many people have a tendency to block themselves simply by appying too much concious effort. The mind is a tool that can work on it's own, and in fact, works better on its own.

Try this: The next time you stop in mid sentence, fumbling for a word or a name that was on the tip of your tounge but vanished, don't beat yourself up about it. Don't try to remember, you'll only cloud your mind further. Instead, just change the subject, forget about it. Your subconciousness will not forget, and in about half an hour the missing word should come flying into your head. Delivered by the mental postalservis.

This is not entirely to the point, but it goes to show that the mind has many functions that we are unaware of. But we don't have to be aware of them to utilize them. We just have to trust them. The sky is the limit, the limit is not the sky.
0 Replies

rushjedi

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:34 pm
potential
well according to science we don't have access too much of our brain so in theory every human being has a lot of potential that is never tapped into. I sometimes wonder if prodigies or geniuses are simply individuals who have managed to access more of the brain than others or p[erhaps are able to expand certain areas of the brain. I doubt this theory holds up to science but its just my opinion. I think that every human being has a talent or ability that makes he or she stand out. Somtimes that talent is not as noticeable as others but it is there nonetheless. while many people feel as though they have not truly reached their potential because they seem to be skilled in everything but never truly spectacular in one area that in of itself is a talent. The ability to be a person who can do well in several areas is an excellent talent one i wish i have. Im one of those people who has a singular talent and while its nice to know that i am truly skilled at one thing it limits me severely. I think that we as humans strive to find our own little niche that thing that we can do that no one else can. While we may not be consiously aware of it I think we all find it eventually.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:37 am
Re: potential
rushjedi wrote:
I sometimes wonder if prodigies or geniuses are simply individuals who have managed to access more of the brain than others or perhaps are able to expand certain areas of the brain.

I don't buy it. I think they're the ones who have found what they love to do, and that love has been accompanied (somewhat coincidentally) by above-average skill. That, as I said earlier, coupled with the proper levels of devotion, integrity and rigor.

Quote:
Im one of those people who has a singular talent and while its nice to know that i am truly skilled at one thing it limits me severely.

It's not a limitation - it's an avenue! Look at the world, your life, as a maze: assuming you're not exaggerating the above, you've found the path upon which your greatness might be achieved.

I get the feeling you might not "enjoy" this skill of yours; but always keep in mind: knowledge is what creates interest. The further your skill advances this path, the more you'll come to see it as your true "calling" in life.

... at least in theory.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:28 am
I am of the mind that all people have near unlimited potential. The problem is that our way of integrating people into our societies involves limitation.
In most cases where people fail they do so because they had expected to fail. Self righteousness works in mysterious ways.

Another quote comes to mind. Thomas Edison said it after trying and failing 2000 times and succeding once in making a lightbulb.

"I didn't fail", he said. "I just discovered 2000 ways how not to make a lightbulb."
0 Replies

rushjedi

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:18 am
nietzche
you have a fair point a suppose i just am often marveled by geniuses and th elike it seems as though they approach the superhuman its tough to realize that it is possible to achieve that level of intelligience with enough work and ability. I suppose thats a defense mehcanism of mine it makes it easier to accept losses in life because i can believe that those who are truly gifted are simply biologically wired to do so.
0 Replies