Camera at work

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:03 am
My bosses have decided to put a camera in the office so it can be seen from our potential web site.
Are they allowed to do this without asking evrybody in the company.Iits usually only me in the office.I dont particularly want it pointed at me and apparently its gona have sound too!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,864 • Replies: 23
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:07 am
Oho, in the US this would be considered invasion of privacy
and illegal. If I were you, I'd look into this matter.
If your office is visible on the internet for millions of people
to see, than your company would need to get your written
approval prior to showing your face on the internet.

Better yet, look for another employment opportunity.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:07 am
That is weird...why?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:11 am
They are computer people and I think they are only into it coz they are into gadgets.
Cant believe its freaking me out so much.Camera is one thing but sound as well!!!This whole office is a sh*thole, an absolute mess with walls half painted, bare floors!!

Calam-a new job has been long overdue, I can hear the tolls of resignation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:21 am
I know that some companies wire their offices and outlets with cameras so that managers can watch over everyone without actually being there.

That's legal.

I don't know about broadcasting such images over the internet for anyone to look at, though.

Of couse if it is legal and they do it you could always wear offensive T-shirts, play Abba loud on your CD player, wear Groucho glasses.....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:45 am
boomerang wrote:
I know that some companies wire their offices and outlets with cameras so that managers can watch over everyone without actually being there.

That's legal.

I don't know about broadcasting such images over the internet for anyone to look at, though.

Of couse if it is legal and they do it you could always wear offensive T-shirts, play Abba loud on your CD player, wear Groucho glasses.....

Then the resignation would probably not be necessary Laughing
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:52 am
Tell them you want to be paid extra (lots) if they want to use sound and picture of you to promote their company via their website.

By the way is it legal for an employer to record sound of their employees? I know they can have cameras but I thought it was illegal to record sound. I am sure they would have to obtain your permission for that, and what about anyone visiting the office? Wouldn't they have to be informed, sign something to say they agree to being videotaped, recorded, webcammed, whatever?

It's one thing to be viewable when walking down the street in public (public area, you know anyone can see you) but when you are indoors and at home/work/school you would hope that you could have some seblance of being viewed and heard only by those in your direct vicinity.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:10 am
Thanks for your support.I dont think they will be recoridng it but it will still be out there for everybody to see!
I know Im probably being silly about it would be like Im being watched all the time.Like Big Brother(which I hate)
If there is sound I will no longer be able to have conversations that I have with certain colleagues(having a laugh about something,discussing non related work topics)It would be like a total worklife change.
This place is a pigsty,I hope they are not expecting me to dress up,right now im sat here, nobody is in, if anybody phones I have to say 'no sorry they are not in yet, that usually goes on till 11am.
If there is sound my bosses wont be able to discuss certain things as customers may be listening.
I just feel yucky about it.It would have been nice to have been asked.I know its probably gona happen anyway (as my bosses usually ignore my opinion)but Im not letting this go without a fight.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:09 am
If its their shop, its pretty much their show. They do hafta post conspicuous notice of the use of recordin' devices, but if they in fact have done that, your choices are clear; go with it or go away,
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:53 am
Its an office not a shop, does that make a difference?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:15 am
But Timberlanko, if it is pretty much their show, and I think you are right about that, why would they have to post any notices? The fact that you think they do implies that there must be some limits. If their purpose is merely to showcase the (filthy) office that would be one thing, but if they are making the claim that's the cameras are for security, that's entirely another. Notices would defeat the purpose.

What is your expectation of privacy in an office space and how much are you entitled to as an employee or as a business visitor? I saw a webcam a few weeks ago from an office in Germany or Demark. A single secretary was laboring over stacks of paper. Riveting, watched it all through lunch, she spent the entire time reading and making little notes on the edges of the paper.

If my employer wanted to take a picture of the office in action, could I refuse to be in it?

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm going to go make a big pot of coffee and think about all this rather than work on the financials like I'm supposed to be doing.

Joe(Who owns my image?)Nation
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:47 am
Covert surveilance - video or audio, absent a court order, generally is a no-no. Open surveilance - notice posted - all is cool. You ever notice the signs in a retail shop which say "For your protection, these premises are monitored by video" or some such? Thats the deal. Nothin' sneaky there, they say they're monitorin' and its up to you to come in and get monitored, or walk away. Pretty much the same deal. As long as those bein' monitored are aware the location they are in is subject to monitorin' thats that. They can choose to stay, or they can choose to go. Its a free country.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:02 am
Take a peek:

Office Space
You may have to refresh to get the image.

Desk Worker.

Today there is a guy working the desk.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:19 am
Are you a phone sex operator who works wearing naughy lingere?

That would be sweet.

If not, tell your bosses they stink.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
That is so in your face!!Why put a camera in for the public to watch!!!???
Imagine if I needed to scratch a butt check, Id have to leave the room!!
Grrrr.Im getting used to the idea but Im still not happy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:22 am
Slappy-no Im not but I may be if I have to leave.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
That's the fun part. If you have to scratch your butt, you bend over in front of the camera and dig in. Pick your nose, stuff like that. Your bosses would love it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:05 am
Damn, Slappy, you made me laugh so loud I scared the cats!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:05 am
Yeah,but I wouldnt.Im not keen on being on display to the world and his wife for 8 hours a day.
Maybe if I acted in a disgusting way infront of the camera they may get rid of it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:07 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Damn, Slappy, you made me laugh so loud I scared the cats!

Good, I like scaring cats.
0 Replies