State of Mass. Collecting Taxes for On Line Purchase of Cigs

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:42 pm
Interesting story on local news station last night regarding The State of Massachusetts collecting taxes on Cigarettes purchased via the internet.

Quote:
A federal law called the Jenkins Act states that online cigarette distributors are supposed to voluntarily report their sales to the states where the purchase originates, but none do. So last July, the Legislature increased the excise tax to $1.51 a pack and gave state officials the authority to get tough.

"Since that time, we have put together a plan to track who is selling the cigarettes and to get information from them about people from Massachusetts that are not paying $1.51 per pack," Department of Revenue Commissioner Alan LeBovidge said.

The state sent letters to more than 300 online distributors demanding their records. Only two responded, but they offered the names of several hundred consumers, meaning big money for the state.

"We sent over 300 bills to people for $44,000 tax, and we've already collected $39,000," LeBovidge said.

Some cigarette Web sites tout tax-free cigarettes and promise, "We do not share our mailing lists or sales records with anyone." The state acknowledges it doesn't have the resources to go after the companies which refuse to cooperate, but those which do are reporting information quarterly, meaning consumers like Bob will be getting bills they probably hadn't planned for.

Buyer Beware Complete Story

Since this is a federal law, shouldnt other states be imposing this type of action? Have we just not heard of it prior to this? Why is it only on cigarettes and not other items? Do you believe this is good or bad for the future of internet purchases?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,645 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:26 pm
You can buy cigarettes online without paying taxes?

Link, link link
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:43 pm
umm..yeah Roger, actually I did this for quite a while when they raised taxes so high around here that it was costing between 40-50.00/carton.
Most of the sellers that offer the best prices are on the reservations...dont you have that around there?

Lets see what I can find for you...
http://search.sify.com/Top/Shopping/Tobacco/Cigarettes/

Heres a huge list though:
http://www.discount-cigarette.org/index.shtml

interesting NM article same thoughts:
http://www.sfnewmexican.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=3215122&BRD=2144&PAG=461&dept_id=367954&rfi=6
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:43 pm
Hey, thanks. On my brand, I'm only saving 2.00/carton. Will have to check out the reservations someday, though. Yeah, we got lots.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:45 pm
Cheap cigs on the army bases for past and present soldiers.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:54 pm
rog..glad to have helped out, check out the res...definately

yeah, Ive umm..heard about that one NH
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:31 pm
Seneca tribe in NY has been pretty good on prices. i save 50% on mine. no online sales. wonder if that makes them exempt on the tax thing?

1-877-247-8969
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 08:29 pm
Roger we can get cigs on Indian reservations in Florida.
0 Replies