SIKH TURBANS`

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:01 am
hingehead wrote:
And finally, the dog, are you a Richard Dawkins fan?

Got it in one. Glad to see the reference wasn't lost on you.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:20 am
hingehead wrote:
And finally, the dog, are you a Richard Dawkins fan?

There is like... three dog-themed players here!! I didn't know who you were referring to!

Okely, dokely Cheeki-Grrrrrl! You are forgiven!

Yes, I am also a bit of a Dawkins fan! Ahemm!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:31 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
So little time, so many butts to sniff.

Lol!!!!!!

And Rabbit butts, too - and cat butts - man, there is no end.....er...as it were...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:34 am
It's butts all the way down.......
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 04:50 pm
No butts about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:00 pm
butt whatt were we talking aboutt?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:02 pm
stop butting in betth
0 Replies

Mr James

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:09 pm
Turbans and Hair
Yes it is true there is hair underneath a truban. Especailly in the case of Sikhs that is the reaason why they wear a turban because of their long hair. It is unfair to say that Relegious people have an obbsession with their hair. What i mean to say to tell a sikh person he has an obssesion with his hair is incorrect in my view. Sikhs do not cut their hair because Sikhism is the only relegion that upholds a visible identity. Sikhism is the 5th largest relegion yet many people around the world do not reognize sikhs and do not know what a sikhism is. Many people do not know if a turbaned person is a sikh or an arab. Sikhism is a beutiful peaceful relegion which is misunderstood by society. This however is the downfall of the sikhs, sikhs to say have not educated society on their relegion and thus this is the downfall of all Sikhs. However to go back to the obsession of hair. look at it this way... if your mom gave you a gift, would you question why she gave you a git? ... out of love you would exept it. thus using the same concept.. god gave the gift of hair to people sikhs choose to ecept it with devotion and love. That is the way i see it and that is why it is unfair to call hair an obsession with pious or holy people.
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:00 pm
dlowan you really annoy me.. i dont know why you just do
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:08 am
the islamic turban ???

i thought they just wore a skull cap, called the ''mundu".

and yes its a rip off from the Jewish "Yarmulka", but then whats new. Arnt most things islamic, a subset of jewish thought and custom ?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:11 am
their (sikh's) religion tells them never to cut their hair.

they wear te turban to give all that unkempt hair a presentable appearence. the turban is purely a culural thing, and they would be violating the tenets of their religion one bit if they didnt wear a turban and adopted the hairstyle of rockstars and long hairs.

they are religion bound NEVER to cut their hair though.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:31 pm
brahmin wrote:

they wear te turban to give all that unkempt hair a presentable appearence. the turban is purely a culural thing, and they would be violating the tenets of their religion one bit if they didnt wear a turban and adopted the hairstyle of rockstars and long hairs.

They'd end up with the dreaddies of Rastafarians if that was the case. Saddhus will end up with a great mat of hair - so it is not uncommon in the practice of Hinduiism.

The hair and turban are VERY practical. To have a mass of hair on top of your skull and metres of cloth around your temples will act as effectively as a metal helmet in absorbing a blow to the head in battle. The origins of Sikhism is in the martial resistance to Islam, they weren't just taking on the symbols of religion they were part of their lives as warriors.

One other fact. Every Sikh has the surname 'Singh', this means 'lion'.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:06 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
brahmin wrote:

They'd end up with the dreaddies of Rastafarians if that was the case. Saddhus will end up with a great mat of hair - so it is not uncommon in the practice of Hinduiism.

The hair and turban are VERY practical. To have a mass of hair on top of your skull and metres of cloth around your temples will act as effectively as a metal helmet in absorbing a blow to the head in battle. The origins of Sikhism is in the martial resistance to Islam, they weren't just taking on the symbols of religion they were part of their lives as warriors.

One other fact. Every Sikh has the surname 'Singh', this means 'lion'.

wow thanks for the "facts", especially the last one !!

like i didnt know !!

not every sikh, though 90% yes. and its not a surname that means lion, its a title.

you said that sikhs have a good chance of ending up as rastafarians "had that been the case". had WHAT been the case ?

yes i know where the origins of sikhism lie. i also know that their religion tells them something like THOU SHALL NOT CUT YOUR HAIR, but doesnt follow it up with THOU SHALL WEAR A TURBAN, but that is something they did and still do all the same, not the least for the reason you mentioned.

now a days, despite the threats of getting clubbed by a muslim on the cranium being considerably lower than what it was back in the hey days of islamic barbarism in india, they still continue with the practice, precisely because, the turban is identified with a sikh's cultural identity.

and the sadhus who end up with a great mat of hair - a not uncommon practise in "hinduism" as you so astutely observed, after multiple visits to this part of the planet, i presume, and not just from tit-bits doing the rounds in local grape vines, do so, because they dont comb their hair.

most rock stars, on the average have longer hair than most sadhus worth their salt, but never quite manage to take that important step towards hinduism by (virtue of) rendering their hair all matty, because they comb it or in other ways prevent it from forming one single lump.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 01:28 pm
How abut sex? They have their Hat on even when they have sex? I donno, both ways seems to me wierd: To have a mile long hair all over ur shoulders or a hat during the sex is so wierd Shocked
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 05:41 pm
lmao i wouldn't know about that.

but let me hazard a few points.

its not a hat its a turban.

supposing they dont wear their turban all the time, i suppose wont be any different in bed than rock stars and hippies who have long hair.
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:39 pm
ok guys... cool off a little... i got the answers that i needed so thanks but please dont start hyper ventolating.. chill
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:45 am
brahmin wrote:
lmao i wouldn't know about that.

but let me hazard a few points.

its not a hat its a turban.

supposing they dont wear their turban all the time, i suppose wont be any different in bed than rock stars and hippies who have long hair.

Sorry, but it came to my mind spontaniously Embarrassed

Ok, Hare Krishna Very Happy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:58 am
"You can keep your hat on"

I am in, like, major Indian-territory in my new home, but I am NOT going to stop big, Sikh fellows in the street and ask them whether they keep their headgear on when (ahem) they are intimate......

I think we may need to draw the curtain of decency over this one....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:10 am
The fella in The English Patient took his off......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......long silky black hair....mmmmm......
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:27 am
dlowan wrote:
The fella in The English Patient took his off......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......long silky black hair....mmmmm......

Just bring the tone down, Deb! A serious discussion, and look what happens... (hmmpphhh)*
0 Replies