SIKH TURBANS`

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:37 pm
Hello peoples... do you know what sikh people wear under their turbans...hair/shaved????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,933 • Replies: 50
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
Hair - if they've got it, and long, well the guy I went to school with and played hockey with did.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:44 pm
Well, how-diddly-dee-do to you to Cheeki! Welcome to A2K.

Sikhs never cut their hair, it is combed and piled up in a top-knot. The comb is actually kept in place in the hair. A sort of 'hair-net is then used to hold the knot in place and 7 METRES of cloth wound around the head to form the turban.

It is never taken off except to wash the hair.
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
dude..
thanx for that.. i was looking for sumthin more meaningful... where do you live are you at school??? i am in australia
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:50 pm
If you want the reason they don't cut their hair and wear a turban goto:

faqs

It is part of the 5 Ks of their faith:
-the sword
-the turban
-the bracelet
-the headcloth
-the boxershorts
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
?
thx...how did u no that
do u lyk study indian hair or sumthing?
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:53 pm
u r a nerd
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:10 pm
Cheeki, y r 4 sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:13 pm
Geez, cheeki, you ask a question and then dis the guy who answers you? Next time just look it up on google yourself.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:42 pm
Religious people generally have a hair obsession. It's either shave this part, don't cut that part. (the word part wasn't intended as a pun). Then on top of hair they usually have rules about hats (okay, maybe these puns are a little deliberate).

The islamic turban is closely related to the jewish yamukah (sp), a concept which oddly never made the leap into christianity.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:44 pm
Welcome aboard, guidedog. I doubt it'll take long to get to know the other mutts in town.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:56 pm
So little time, so many butts to sniff.
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:11 pm
Sorry.. someone else hacked onto my account i asked the question but i didnt say ou were a nerd... i am at school someone probably did it.. sorry .. thanks for info
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:12 pm
tahnx
sorry... it wasnt me... I am at school and when I asked the question someone else hacked onto my account. You aint a nerd you helped me with my work,, Thanks... TALK SOON.... cheeki
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:17 pm
okiedokie
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
I think Christianity has had it's share of hats - just think of Easter bonnets, Pilgrim hats had religious significance, the Pope has a whole wardrobe of hats (just think of the big one he is being buried in) including what I think of as the "Cardinal yamauka"*, plus nuns always have had veils.

I can't spell it either.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:54 pm
Roger - how long have you had TANSTAAFL in your sig? Are you a Larry Niven fan?

Witchy - Dennis Leary had a line about catholicism and hats. Basically he surmised that the size of your hat determined how far up the hierarchy you were. Priests little hats, bishops bigger, cardinals huge, popey humungous.

And finally, the dog, are you a Richard Dawkins fan?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:01 pm
Couple of years - off and on, hingehead. Niven? Well, I like him when he's tempered with Pournelle, but by himself he's a bit over my head. The concepts in Ringworld and The Integer Trees was so beyond my grasp, I couldn't focus on the story. Heinlein used TANSTAAFL in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. If I had seen it in Niven's work sooner, I would have stolen it from him, instead.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:02 pm
Okay, I guess you are not all that cheeky, cheeki.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:25 pm
I hadn't realised Niven borrowed it from Heinlein used it and I've read 'The moon is a harsh mistress'

I liked a lot of Niven's ideas but I wouldn't call him a great writer - I liked most of the Known Space stuff. Oddly the Pournelle and Barnes stuff did quite grab me as much, except for 'Mote' of course.

But I found Niven in my mid teens, by my thirties it was a bit like reading old Mad magazines.
0 Replies