Camping and Yurts

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 07:48 am
Julia Roberts, huh? I missed that one, Im sure it was very interesting though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
actually, it was pretty good. The filmography was great. And, she had to poop out in the open like everyone else.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 10:30 am
giggles...aint that just roughin it

Smile
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 10:49 am
I actually went to the library a couple of weekends ago to get out some books on Genghis Khan. I saw a Discovery Cannel show about him and thought 'well, I don't know diddley about him or Mongolia". I'll open a question about Mongolia for discussion when I'm done with my reading, if anyone is interested.

A yurt looks like a good idea if I was going to be outside for more than a few days. I sleep in a tent when I camp. Lightweight, minutes to set up, keeps the rain off and the bugs out. I hate stooopid bugs.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 10:55 am
yeah..stoopid bugs!!!

I would be interested in Ghengis..dang missed the special, argh
0 Replies

yurtinnkeeper

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:31 pm
Yurt bed and breakfast inn
My wife and I loved staying in yurts and bought a couple for our bed and breakfast inn. Guests have loved the experience. Especially couples with one enjoying the outdoors but the other wanting the comforts of home.

The yurt is a simple structure and we were amazed about how well it takes the wind since its round. Also its great in rain to hear the rain drops hit the canvas and still stay dry.

We outfitted ours on a round deck and added composting toilets, electricity, heat, microwave, minifridge and coffees maker. Also added furniture that includes a queen size bed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:36 pm
Yurt is one cool contraption, and one very cool word.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:40 pm
Welcome to A2K yurtinnkeeper. Did this thread inspire you to join?
0 Replies

yurtinnkeeper

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:12 pm
I was inspired to check the thread out because people were talking about yurts. I think they are great and hope that others share my enthusiasm.

My wife and I have thought about getting a 30 footer for full time living and rent out our master bedroom in the main house to guests.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
welcome yurtinnkeeper! So glad the discussion now includes someone of your familiarity with our discussion.

Ive thought myself that a wee bit of land and a larger yurt could be useful for a 'second/vacation home' and much more attractive, IMO, than say an RV.
Do you have information about how living in one full time is you could share with us? Or other thoughts, inspirations, ideas?

Insteresting that you have couples that have enjoyed them, that gives another boost for them I think really.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 06:15 pm
Dangit! Now why didn't I find this yurt inn before I left GA?
0 Replies

yurtinnkeeper

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:22 am
quinn1

I have heard that many full time yurt dwellers live in the pacific northwest and even in Alaska. Your idea for a second home is also what my wife and I thought about before we did the bed and breakfast. In our area you cannot find an affordable weekend cottage in the mountains. We thought of a yurt.

Only caution is the local building officials that may not understand what you want to do or what a yurt is. You would probably want a well for water. Could bring your own however or use a cistern to catch runoff rainwater from your yurt roof. Also need a greywater system for shower/sink water (can make your own or buy one) and a composting toilet or privy. Greywater systems are illegal in Georgia at this time so you have to have a septic tank or holding tank for the greywater.

Some yurts are off the grid and use solar, wind power or use kerosene lamps.

Also recommend insulating walls, ceilings and deck floor. I used astrofoil for walls and ceilings. Developed by NASA and easy to install. Its basically 2 layers of bubble wrap with foil on both sides. By the way we have yurt pictures on our web site.

In terms of the couples having interest the men think its great to have the outdoors and the women think its romantic. We also have had women that like the outdoors and the men want the comforts of home.

For the cost of a yurt versus a stick built cabin you save a bunch of money with a yurt and have a unique getaway that is comfortable.

On a different note check out the latest National Geographic that features Mongolia. Great yurt pictures of Mongolian Yurts or Gers. One has wall to wall carpet on the inside, color tv, etc.

Happy yurting...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:44 am
yurtinnkeeper..thanks for all the information!

Will have to check out your website, as if this ever becomes any possibility I think I would have to stay in one for a while to make the decision a reality Smile

I actually like the idea of solar power and a cistern but, you know..Im nuts.

Oh..TV and carpet...have to go find that also.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:49 am
If ever in Georgia...Ill have to get in touch with you....what a lovely homey feeling your yurts have! And, being of the female persusion I must applaude the bath house....excellent!
Thanks for sharing it all with us, and doing such a lovely job with your own place....keep up the fine work.
0 Replies

yurtinnkeeper

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:06 am
quinn1

You are welcome and thanks for your comments.

I forgot to mention that Mother Earth News Magazine was where I first heard about yurts. They have articles on the topic often.

If you are in Georgia come by and visit.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:33 am
Mother Earth News...interesting..I hadnt heard of that before but, Ive down the whole downsizing to nothing in the way of periodicals so, its not surprising.

Will certainly keep you in mind if ever in the area!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 03:04 pm
Kidding? I was reading Mother decades ago. Their projects moved from building a solar cigarette lighter to $100,000.00 homes built of bales of straw and I had to let them go.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:35 pm
Yeah, well..Ive never been all that big on mags in the first place. eh...sounds like td be good to pick up once in a while.
I actually like the straw house ideas...however..at a much lower price.
0 Replies