Camping and Yurts

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:29 am
I camped a great deal when I was young, in tents. When I hiked Mt. Washington, I was hoping to rough it a bit but, since we planned on an October hike and it began to rain, we ended up in a small cabin.
I saw a show on Yurts and thought they were a great idea for a wilderness home, temporary shelter, etc. I was amazed to find so many sites on line regarding Yurt camping areas, not that its a bad idea, just hadnt realized it had become so popular, although I can understand why for the conveniences it offers while keeping it rustic feeling.

What do you think?

Are you a camper?

Have you seen Yurts?

Have you gone camping in Yurts?

Links:

Pacific Yurts

East Coast Camping Yurts

Natural Retreat- Yurts

Oregon Yurt Camping

Mt Hood Yurts

Trap Pond- Delaware

North Carolina

Washington

Ontario Yurt Camping

California-Cachuma Yurt Camping
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,697 • Replies: 57
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:46 am
I think yurt is a great word. I'm gonna use it in sentences today. "Think I'll go yurting today!" "Do you want yurts with your burger?" "Did you write to your Congressman about the plight of yurts?"

Seriously, though, I haven't camped in a long time although I did quite a bit when I was a teen (hiked some of the Appalachian Trail in Maine and New York). Usually, I would use lean-tos or cabins. Did a bit of tenting, but it was always uncomfortable and often leaky. But I know tents have changed and they're a lot better than they were back in the '70's.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:50 am
Yurt is a fabulous word Smile

Tents are only as good as those who pitch them.
My Dad once put ours up on the side of a mountain somewhere in the middle of nowhere during terrential rains...parental units had cots, I woke up floating...it wasnt pretty.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 08:26 am
Back when I was backpacking I used a Stephenson Warmlite. Double walled, two person (barely), mountain tent that weighed three pounds even.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:10 am
You know, Ive been thinking lately of dusting off the backpack...then, I keep thinking of the truck Id need to haul it around. Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:26 pm
You know..something silly is going on here

6 votes but, only 3 people actually speaking out?!

Thanks for your vote...but, really...I see the room service thing is might what be turning this....
its okay, I like room service myself, really.
It might be the Yurt thing as well...I mean, how many people even know what a Yurt is.

New marketing idea forming regarding 'outback yurts with cabana boys'

uh boy...here we go Laughing Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
What I know about yurts is the of pressed felt and yak dung fires. I assume these are a new kind of modern tent that you're talking about..... I'll check the links. The few times I've gone camping it was in tents. I slept in cabins, but that's not really camping, is it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:29 pm
Hmmmm, they say it's light weight.... that's an aweful lot of wood.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:48 pm
Well..compared to a house, its lightweight Wink

pressed felt and yak dung?
interesting. really.

I think it depends on the cabin actually...some cabins Ive been in..you'd feel much better in a tent...could just be my luck however.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:49 pm
Mmmmmm, I've had some baaaad tent experiences. I guess a scorpion could get into a cabin as well as it could get into a tent.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:52 pm
lots of nice little spiders livin it up in cabins
not to mention racoons, squirrels, and I dont even want to think of whatever else!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:55 pm
I have enough opportunities to sleep in the sleeping bag or in the tent while I am on active reserve service. If and when I travel, I want a hotel with room service.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:58 pm
steissd...I dont blame you one bit...Even I have those moments so, good for you for having the best of both worlds

I guess.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:59 pm
Ok Q, picture this. You're in a tent with a couple of people and some gear (crowded), you look up and see a scorpion on the ceiling right above you....... the mad dash for the flap didn't knock the scorpion onto me, but it could have. In a cabin it's easier to get away from the critters.

Streissd - maybe you should try it for fun sometime.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:00 pm
You have apoint k...on both.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:06 pm
mmmmm, was scawy. That scorpion was caught in a cup we'd been using as a wet ashtray (had water in the bottom and was mucky with cigg butts and ashes. it sat in the cup until we calmed down and then we wanted to show Doc (this was at the dig). We dumped it out and the thing started crawling around like nothing happened. It had been in that toxic soup for like 20 minutes.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:11 pm
Well, majority of the most disgusting bugs are very viable. Cockroaches, for example may survive radiation dose that is hundered times larger than the human lethal dose.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:18 pm
true
nasty critters, but many are pretty cool.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:21 pm
Can bugs be cool???
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
let's put it this way - they can be interesting. I don't think I can put into words the definition for that kind of cool.
0 Replies