Austria: Haider founds new right wing party

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 03:12 pm
Quote:
Haider bolts Freedom Party
Source

According to latest news, it might be possible that there will be new elections in Austria.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,643 • Replies: 20
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:02 am
Haider represents the moderate wing of the party? How did that happen?

If Haider is a moderate, I'd hate to see what the extremists look like.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
According to latest news, it might be possible that there will be new elections in Austria.

The new Black-Orange coalition -- OeVP and BZOe (the Haider faction) -- will still have a working majority in the lower house of parliament. It will, however, lack a majority in the upper house. That may require new elections, but then that's the situation in Germany too, isn't it?

http://images.derstandard.at/20050405/a(13).jpg
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:17 am

Right now it doesn't look like it. Evil or Very Mad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:11 am
Quote:
Sunday, 17 April, 2005,
Haider party launched in Austria

Far-right politician Joerg Haider has launched a new party in Austria after a split in the Freedom Party he once led which threatened the ruling coalition.
The new Alliance for Austria's Future elected Mr Haider as its leader in Salzburg, and it looks set to remain in office with the majority conservatives.

All Freedom Party cabinet ministers have defected to the new party.

The split came after the party, whose extreme views prompted EU sanctions on Austria, lost much of its support.

A recent opinion poll gave the Alliance 5% support and just 3% to the rump Freedom Party. Under Mr Haider, the Freedom Party had taken nearly 27% in the 1999 general election.

The BBC's Bethany Bell notes that while Mr Haider showed he still has considerable personal appeal with voters when he was re-elected as governor of the southern province of Corinthia last year, surveys nationwide suggest many Austrians mistrust him.

Election call

Of the Freedom party's 18 members in parliament, nine have reportedly joined the Alliance while seven remain with the old party and two are undecided.

Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel, leader of the conservative People's Party, said he had received sufficient guarantees to work with the new Alliance.

However, opposition parties are demanding a new election, with the Social Democrats arguing that Austria, which is due to assume leadership of the European Union for six months on 1 January 2006, cannot afford an unstable government.

"Imagine what would happen if the government imploded just before or, worse, during Austria's presidency," Social Democrat leader Alfred Gusenbauer said at a party conference in Vienna.

Austria is not due to hold its next general election until next year.

In a two-hour speech in Salzburg, Mr Haider justified the creation of the new party, saying that "internal criticism" had hindered the success of the Freedom Party, AFP news agency reports.

The 564 delegates present also elected Vice-Chancellor Hubert Gorbach to a party leadership post.

Mr Haider, who won notoriety for his comments on Austria's Nazi past, is not a member of the coalition government himself.
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:39 am
Sunday elections in the Austrian state of Carinthia are likely to leave Hitler-admiring Haider as local anomaly ... says at least the Guardian:

End of an era looms for far right populist Haider
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 09:21 am
24 hours from now we will know more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 09:37 am
Walter's Source wrote:
. . . to form a new movement meant to reflect the former rightist's turn toward relative moderation.

I go along with Joe on this one, "relative moderation?" I suppose that, relatively speaking, the Mamluks were not as savagely violent as the Mongols. I suspect, though, that one wouldn't have wished to have offended either one. I'd be interested to know if Walter and Ul think that Austrians tend to hold "right-wing" opinions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:56 am
Personally I think that Austrians are more to the right than e.g. the Germans.

Stop! No wrong conclusions: this is only due to the fact that's an obeservation of my wife's and my Austrian mischpoke (some handful of the closest relatives from both of us are [now] Austrians) :wink:

They are more rightish ... up to Haider-likers.

I really don't know about the general Austrian trend by own experience and knowledge.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:43 am
I think that many Austrians are more conservative.

From my experience you see a difference between rural parts ( especially Upper Austria, Styria, Tyrol) and cities.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:47 am
My experiences are only from Lower Austria (just acroos the border to Vienna :wink: ) and Styria.

Well, let's wait who joins whom in a coalition ....
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:18 am
At 5 pm the first extrapolation will be announced.

There are already rumors that Blue is strong- Lower Austria.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:19 am
Yeap, heard that in the news (they've got 15% in Vienna in state elections previously, right?).
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:41 am
14.8% - that was a minus of 5.3%.

This might interest you-
Link

Sorry, this link is in German, couldn't find a translation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:15 am
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:26 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:06 am
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:23 am