Is suicide immoral?

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:09 pm
I have been thinking about this today -

Is suicide immoral.

I know it is common to think that it is - but I am not sure how to make something immoral where you are destroying a peice of your own property.

I know suicide effects others (my step brother killed himself a few years back) but I am having trouble seeing it as immoral. It causes pain in others lives - but not the same type of pain as when I steal, or maim.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:20 pm
I'm sorry about your step brother, think.

While I don't consider it immoral, I do think it's sad. I feel bad for people who felt there was no other option and I feel terrible for those who loved them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:24 pm
I don't believe it is immoral. I think it is immoral to go about saying these people will go to hell, or to judge them when you (the collective you, not you) have no idea what their life has been like.

I think each person has the right to make that choice. But, I do hope they consider who they are leaving behind, who will find them, and how children would get along.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:39 pm
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
albert camus
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:11 pm
The ready availability of suicide, like sex and alcohol, is one of life's basic consolations.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:51 pm
I don't think it's immoral in the sense that we're discussing here, but I do think it's a mistake. Then again, I'm not in such a situation.

I don't think it's equal to destroying one's property; the person is destroying his or her existence, at least the existence in this world if you believe in an afterlife. I think it is sad that it happens and we should prevent it if we can...

What do you think TTF?

Quote:
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
albert camus

Albert Camus was against suicide wasn't he?
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 02:13 am
Re: Is suicide immoral?
ttf

Yes, I see it as immoral, since we have duties toward those who love us and with society in general. Suicide is a desertion.
But in certain conditions - terminal illness, complete despair with no possible hope - I think suicide is not moral or immoral. It is a matter of individual choice.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 02:30 am
I agree with val

The best outcome for me in life can be acheived by striving to do the best I can for myself, and the best I can for everybody else.

Therefore: depriving the race of the potential "good" I may do is bad for me and bad for us.

Nevertheless I see it as a personal individual decision, but one that should not be taken lightly, nor without plenty of consultation.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 02:39 am
I dont see it as immoral.

I find it slightly confusing when in some countries the punishment for an unsuccesful suicide attempt is death.

I also find it rude for somebody else to say if someone cannot take their own life.
There are few things in this world that we own/can control.If somebody wants to end their life they should be able to do it.

I agree with others it is sad and id hate for anyone i care about to do it but we should not be selfish.Its their life,if they want to end it, let them.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 03:28 am
I agree with you too material girl.

Although I think every effort should be made to discourage people from suicide since it's so often a wasteful and stupid thing that comes about through an inabilty to see alternatives or a lack of courage to face responsibilities or a number of other issues that might seem unimportant when viewed retrospectivley at the end of a long life.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:07 am
I see it as a personal choice. If life is so unbearable that a person doesn't wish to continue with it, then it's their choice to end it. Of course, it's terrible for people close to them when such a course is chosen. But really, you go through life alone. What you make of it is up to you. If you find it too hard, too confronting, too painful & no longer wish to continue, well that's sad, but it's your life to do as you want with.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:30 am
That kind of pre-supposes that the situation can't change later doesn't it?

How many suicides that fail are later pleased that they failed. If you had been there, would you have helped them succeed, because you respect their wish?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:34 am
I doubt that most people would take this step without a lot of weighing up of the pros & cons.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:44 am
Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people ages 15 to 24.

The majority of these are healthy young men.

How qualified are they to know how their lives are going to turn out?

I would argue that these people should be prevented at least for a time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:50 am
Yes, I would agree with that.

My point was about adult people making that decision.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:05 am
Quote:
Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people ages 15 to 24.

And that is a damn shame. At such a young age, people usually have not developed a strong, consistent repitoire of coping skills. As a result, when an adolescent hits a "bump" in life, it often is magnified way out of proportion. Something that might be simply a problem for an older person, becomes a tragedy to the youngster, and death seems to be the only way out.

With young people, and people who are depressed, I would say that the people around them need to take steps to help those folks regain their zest for life. Teachers, parents, and firends need to watch for signs of depression, and help the depressed to find assistance in dealing with their problem. On the other hand, if the depression is severe and chronic, and the person has tried to control it, either by medical or alternative methods, and it hasn't worked, I see no reason for that person to have to go on with what is, for them, a miserable life. If they choose to end it, IMO, that IS their choice.

In a mentally healthy adult, I think that suicide IS an option, and certainly not immoral. I think that there are many reasons why a person does not desire to go on living, and that is THEIR choice.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:07 am
I agree Phoenix but how do you do it?

How do you say "OK, you qualify for suicide..but you don't"

I guess that's the whole reason it's just plain illegal almopst everywhere.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:19 am
Do 80 year olds ever look back at how they were thinking at the age of 40 and think...ahh..I had no idea how good things were going to get..I knew nothing back then! I imagine they do. So at what age can you know?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:31 am
I think alot of suicides or suicide attempts are a cry for help.
If you wanted to kill yourself youd just do it.
How many times have we seen (ok, in films)people standing on the edge of a tall building where they get discovered and the police try to talk them down.If they wanted to die they would just jump.
If it is noticed that somebody wants to kill themsleves something in their life is obviously distressing and they need help.Hopefully the right people will be called in before any suicide is attempted.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
I knew someone once who used to tell us that he would kill himself. I knew people that opened their veins several times too. Time and life has perted our ways, but they are still alive, and I see them from time to time.

Others I have met and briefly known are no longer here. They killed themselves, and when they did it came as a shock to us. There was no warning. We thought they were happy and carefree, and suddenly they were found dead by their own hands.

Anyway, I am of the opinion that it is my life, and if I want to end it I should be allowed to do so. After all, who can stop me?

Another thing is this: Is it not immoral to allow smoking, but to outlaw suicide? Smoking is, according to the message on the pack, slow suicide. It may take you thirty years to kill yourself using nicotine. If you switch to a more potent poison you die quicker, but that's not allowed?

I said that the individual should have the choice wether to live or die, but that does not mean that I think suicide is ok. I do not. I just think it is a better alternative to allow it than to start rambling out of misguided ethics.

I am excluding suicide attempts here, because they have more to do with the need for attention.
0 Replies