Cup Stacking: A New International Sport

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
I'm not an athlete. I'm not an athletic supporter. Anything that I know about sports has been absorbed through osmosis with no conscious volition.

For more than a year now, I've been reading about the virtues of Cup Stacking, both as a children's activity for gym class and as a field of national and international competition.

http://www.speedstacks.com/company/welcome.htm

Cup stacking is supposed to improve stamina, coordination and brain development in children.

Couldn't this sort of development be furthered by old-fashioned craft activities? Has anyone here had hands-on experience with cup stacking?

Would you pay $56 for a cup stacking competition mat?

Am I completely out of tune with the mores of 2005?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 9
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:23 pm
LOL .... it didn't amount to anything with the status of organized international competition, but I recall similar shennanigans from back in my college days. I'm sure our impromptu - but frequently spectacular - assemblages provided no end of amusement for the campus cafeteria's janitorial crew. We never stuck around to watch.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:26 pm
Athletic supporter + cup had me thinking that this was about high school boys exaggerating their assets...

I'd never heard of it, don't have anything in particular against it. As you know, my overall take on what's good for kids is less about the merits of any given activity than the big picture. As in, baseball might be perfectly wonderful, but if a kid is practicing 6 hours a day and going to special camps and not doing anything else like ya know PLAYING with friends because who has the time and is getting repetitive motion injuries... that ain't good.

So I'm sure this can be overdone like anything else, but as one option among many, and especially within a sane larger context -- a variety of not-too-scripted activities -- seems kind of interesting.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:35 pm
Wow, I thought this was going to be about stacked babes with overflowing cups, but instead it looks like the deepest internet hoax in history or at least over the past three months.

Joe(could it be real?) Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
I seem to have written a thread in the running for Rorschach of the Week--if not of the month.

The glory of this achievement ranks slightly above Competitive Cup Stacking the the scheme of things.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:35 pm
Re: Cup Stacking: A New International Sport
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm not an athletic supporter.

Now let me preface this by saying I respect Noddy, and I mean no disrespect by this.

But did anyone else think, "This brings a whole new dimension to 'hold your dominion?'"
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:42 pm
Yes! I was thinking exactly the same thing, DrewDad! You beat me to it. <LOL>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:02 pm
I'm so old I pre-date that t-shirt.

Ignorance can be folly.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:30 pm
I don't think it is a hoax but it seems to originated is Southern California... nuf said
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:30 pm
I have to hold my dominion with both hands.

Joe( is pepperjack cheese a vegetable?)Nation
0 Replies