best quentin tarantino movie.

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
what do you guys think was the best quentin tarantino movie? im going with Pulp Fiction. i love how all the stories mix together and stuff.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 993 • Replies: 11
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:17 pm
Yeah, I like the way Tarantino focused on three characters in Pulp Fiction, Butch, Vincent, and Jules, and he developed these characters pretty thoroughly, with Jules' story being the crux of the movie.

I really like Reservoir Dogs, though, because of the the profoundly tragic ending. In this movie he really only develops the story of Mr. Orange/Freddie, though.

For me, it's a toss up between the two.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 05:13 pm
Evenly divided between "Pulp Fiction" and its modernization of film noir themes, and "Kill Bill Vol. l & 2" (as I would consider the two parts as one long film even though they both can stand alone).
0 Replies

Funkystu

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:02 pm
yeah i always saw Kill bill as one movie as well. however, i thought part 2 was much better. i would call it his weakest movie but its still great. but i dont know jackie browne is close for his weakest.
0 Replies

cesca

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:17 pm
Yeah, I agree. But you shouild see the master, Robert Altman from whom Tarenntino nicked this narrative structure. With Atman and several others Tarentino is nothing.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:05 am
Kill Bill 2

I dislike Kill Bill 1 indeed
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
Hmm, didnt particularly buy into the 'cult' status of Pulp Fiction when it first came out.

I love True Romance.Patricia Arquette is gorgeous(In a 'straight girl appreciating a beautiful woman' kinda way)and I thought Gary Oldmans Drexl is a classic character.

Can you list all Tarantinos movies?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
Altman did not invent the structure of several stories linked together (in "Short Cuts," specifically) but he did bring it almost to perfection. "Pulp Fiction" also articulately handles the storyline of the character's fates weaving together. That someone uses such a narrative device, also used by Woody Allen, doesn't mean they own it. The comparisons begin with the decision to make a movie telling individual stories but the similarity ends there. "Pulp Fiction" is just a better movie than "Short Cuts" in many other ways and, in fact, I liked "Magnolia" just slightly better than the Altman film. Altman is up there with the ten best directors of all time but he's managed to also make his clunkers. "Quintet" is a self-conscious melange of sci-fi satire that just doesn't work. "Popeye" is eccentric and that's about it -- there's a distinct choppiness in the cinematic flow that derails the movie.

Tatrentino's impact lays with the script -- the play on everyday conversation which all of a sudden sounds bigger than life. For those who don't appreciate his work, I'm not going to try and convince you you're wrong.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:01 am
Tarentino's filmography as a Director, lifted from IMDb:

Inglorious Bastards (2006) (announced)

Untitled Quentin Tarantino Project (2005) (announced)

Sin City (2005) (special guest director)
... aka Frank Miller's Sin City (USA: complete title)

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)
... aka Kill Bill (USA: closing credits title)
... aka Kill Bill 2 (USA: informal title)
... aka Vol. 2 (USA: opening credits title)

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
... aka Kill Bill 1 (USA: informal title)
... aka Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Volume One (USA: promotional title)

Jackie Brown (1997)
Four Rooms (1995) (segment "The Man from Hollywood")

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

My Best Friend's Birthday (1987)

He's also directed episodes of CSI and ER on TV.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:03 am
...and "Pulp Fiction" is really not a cult film in the usual definition.
0 Replies

Funkystu

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:04 pm
yeah i agree pulp fiction reallty is not a cult film. Quentin's previous film Resovoir dogs i would call "cult" but not pulp fiction.

and True romance was orginally written by quentin tarantino back in the late 80's. however, it was sold to a director i cant recall his name, and was changed dramatically. therefore, he got very little writing credit for the movie. and the same thing with natural born killers.
0 Replies

FunkyHoward123

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 03:49 pm
The Best Quentin Tarintino Movie is a tie between Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, although people might say Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2 were his best, they obviously havent seen these two movies.
0 Replies