2

We are legion - The gig life

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 09:46 am
Odd jobs, gigs, contract work, temp work, whatever you want to call it, we're all over.

Who else here does/has done this form of invisible, off the grid (as in not a regular full time thing), and has stories to tell?
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 216 • Replies: 10

Region Philbis

2  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 10:04 am
@chai2,

my first ever paycheck was taking photos for a Games magazine article about ultimate frisbee.

at the time they were owned by Playboy, so my pay stub had the bunny logo...

2  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 10:10 am
@chai2,
The one I started about three weeks ago has got to be the best one I've had in my life.

It involves about an hour and a half of my time a day, brings in $165 to $175ish a week (responsible for own taxes and write offs) and really centers my day. It also affords me the opportunity to get a micro view of how the larger world chooses to function in their day to day work environment.

I deliver group lunches.

I can sleep in, which is basically priority #1.

I get up at 9:30.
10:45 Get a text that my schedule for the day is ready.
Go on lunch services companys app and look at my schedule.
11:00 walk out the door. This is when I consider my day to begin. My 3 large insulated bags are in the car, and I carry a sharpie pen and a spare, a roll of scotch tape (learned that lesson with a spinach salad) and my phone with the GPS enabled.

From there I go to one to three restaurants, picking up a dozen to 25ish meals, mark off all meals on the app, then deliver to 2 to 4 (sometimes 5) business, and mark as delivered on same app. The people getting lunch get a text/email from the app their food is there.

90% of the time by 12:30 I'm done for the day.
For this I make $33 to $41 each day.

So now, I'm already dressed, up and out of the house (my biggest challenges) and can continue on with my other life stuff.

I get to see the insides of all sorts of businesses and see how some people are happy, and others are so totally miserable. See how consumers are overcharged for products because the corp office has to be so over the top. People don't seem to be any happier there.
See other places that are ordinary, even shop worn, but the people have a ready smile. Of course the reverse is true for both.

I love that I don't have to stay at any of them. I love that I can drive around, learning new things about the city I've lived in for over 20 years.

I love that it's a good way for a retired person can so easily do this.

This is a success story. There are others that didn't turn out so well.

2  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 10:47 am
Another favorite temporary gig.

Working at the call center of a large local florist in the days before Mothers Day.

This florist is well known in Austin, Freytags. It's family owned for 3 generations, and prides itself on its attention to detail.

Non stop calls during the week before MD.

About 12 of us manned the phones taking orders in a separate room right at the florist.

Before starting, we were taken on a tour of the place. Very impressive. The cold storage for arrangements was huge. Like a warehouse. The florists, about oh, 10 of them were intent of their work. No delivery van went out without Mr. Freytag personally taking a look inside, and he would not hesitate to pull something not up to his standards. Every day, his mother, who started the business with her husband out of their garage, would toddle in on her cane, look around to make sure everything was up to snuff.

Best order story.....

An anglo man called in an order for his Japanese wife.

He ordered something really elegant for her. I can still remember what he wanted on the card...

Good Mama!
Great Mama!
Wonderful Mama!

Then, he ordered for his MIL, who lived with them, something even MORE elegant. Don't remember the words, but it was to the effect that he was so greatful and honored to be able to present the mother of the love of his life with this small token of his respect and admiration.

This man knew how to maintain a happy home.

Then, he ordered another arrangement to his little girl, about 4, as she was the reason for the day. He said as long as it was purple, and had lots of butterflys.

I loved this guy.

2  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 01:18 pm
I was hired from my last one, so it's probably my best -- getting paid to write.

2  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 02:06 pm
One of the bad ones I had was for a weekend. I know I talked about it in a thread of Linkats. The thread was about some kind of internet scam invitation she or her daughter got.

Me a a couple other people were assigned through a temp agency to "pre screen" potential contestants for some kind of beauty pageant.

It was so sad.

The "screening" consisted of asking each of the literally hundreds of girls that showed up a handful of questions about why they wanted to enter a pageant. I mean really super basic stuff.

I'd say a good 50% of these girls (I think like 13 to 18 years old) were completely thrown out of their element being asked even this rudimentary question...why are you here today. Another 45% gave these bland, meaningless answers, (if they even gave anything beyond "I don't know, I just wanna", again, because they hadn't even thought it out that they were going to be asked anything.

No idea what they or their parents expected. Also, the vast majority of these girls were just completely average looking, nothing to make them stand out, no particular talent, just kids. There was nothing wrong with them per se, but completely unaware of what this all would involve.

I was after awhile, actually internally annoyed/angry at these parents that either brought or drug their kids there, like seriously dude? Your kid, she's just a girl, an average girl. Why are you putting her through this? They weren't doing their daughters any kindness.

It was like they were guppies being thrown to the sharks.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 03:06 pm
In the Sixties, I often went to Manpower for temp jobs. My favorite was their office in Kansas City. I worked in the order department for Fuller Brush, among others. Once there was an empty building with all the twenty foot long three or four inch pipes cut loose, on two or three levels. We carried them out, about four of us. Most memorable was when I helped a man put together four twelve foot high rows of shelves in an empty warehouse. There were four or five of us and it took a few weeks to accomplish. I don't know why these metal shelves all fell down right after we completed the assembly. I was on top of the central row when they fell and I rode them down, without losing my balance. After all of these years not knowing why they collapsed, I now think those other guys only ran the screws up until they made contact. Must be they did not tighten any of them. The man in charge should have been checking, but I know he trusted us.

Sturgis

1  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 03:26 pm
Had a temp job when I was 17 through a government program for low income youths. Spent a few months as a church office assistant/gofer. It was an enjoyable experience and was to me at least, better than some of the temp (even perm) jobs a lot of others landed in.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 03:44 pm
One of my temp jobs was melting lead for the Kansas City Star.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Melting lead. Now there’s a gig!

That shelving collapse sounded scary.

Oh. For several weeks did a job a group of us assembled and boxed up the packages for people that bought Cochella tickets. There were the wrist and parking badges, color coded, and other stuff. Pleasant because you could talk as long as you kept working.

Thinking about it, I guess I have worked full time in a “professional” capacity for I guess about 30 years in total. Jobs I was at for more than a decade or 5 years at a time. You know, the typical thing. I worked because I had to. I was the provider of health insurance.

I worked in between some office temp work, which always had this underlying stress. Office politics, always knowing you could be replaced. I remember this one place in particular. I absolutely Had to work at that time, and would be physically sick trying to get myself to get out of the car to go into the building. Everyone there had an agenda against everyone else. I begged the agency to let me get off that assignment. I know I could have just quit, but I told the agency that if I did that I knew they wouldn’t use me again. When they finally relieved me with someone else. They didn’t give me any other work anyway, so looking back, I should have just walked.

None of they oh, let’s say 5 or so places I could call a “real” job ever gave me as much satisfaction as working at a plastic mold I injection factory outside Milwaukee, or delivering lunches in Central Texas.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 05:41 pm
Sometimes my temp jobs lead to full employment. I worked in the Manhattan Schrafts laundry for employees, and they hired me full time in the food service. I shredded huge blocks of Velveeta, bagged up corned beef briskets - I dropped one of those briskets on the floor and my supervisor sent it out anyway. "Because it would otherwise be fed to us in the cafeteria." Working there taught me the value of a union. Teamsters, it was. I took a day off and came in with a doctor's note, but I had already been fired. I mentioned the note to the union rep and was immediately rehired.