We are legion - The gig life

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 06:57 pm
@chai2,
What is making LD sucessful is the fact they only do businesses, and for groups 95 % of the time.

A business signs up for LD.
Every morning early all the employees get the chosen restaurants for the day.
Although lots of restaurants are used every day, I think indivual places are given a choice of 2 places.
The employees must submit their meal choice by 10:30 a.m.
At 10:45 a.m. the driver assignments go out, and the restaurants get all the orders.
So while picking up food, it's common to run into other drivers going to a place in the opposite direction, or even to the same place as you're going, because the business ordered like 50 lunches from the restaurant. That happens a lot for Chik Filet. Sometimes there's like 4 of us waiting in our "lunchdrop corral" Very Happy and 2 of us are going to Go Daddy or something.
I know for a fact you can't fit more than 10 boxes in the insulated bag, and we all carry 3 bags. I have picked up the max a few times. That's mostly on Fridays.
People love their Chik Filet Friday.

I'm going to have to ask them how many drivers they have.

What's really nice is they will use you every day. Even if it's for just a small order. I've never had them say "no work today"

Re the pay, you get $33 a day if you work all 10 days of a 2 week period.
If you sign off for 1 day, you get $31 for 9 days.
If you can't work 2 days, it drops to $28 (I think) for 8 days.
If you signed off more more than that, you'll just get $25 for whatever you do work.

No tipping. One time I was dropping off lunches and the receptionist said "here, Susie said to give you this" and handed me 5 bucks.

I refused it, and told her it was part of the service.
It's the restaurants who foot the bill for the delieveries, and the employees just pay the menu rate for the lunch.
Sometimes people order a couple meals. I guess either for a coworker who didn't have time to order, or to take home for dinner.
0 Replies