Excel Users...I need your help!

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:15 pm
I am trying to create a list of books in an Excel file. When typing the ISBN number in a column it doesn't like the zero at the front of the number. How do I get Excel to recognize the zero? I know there must be a way.

Thanks for your help in advence!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:16 pm
Try changing the cell format to text
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 03:29 pm
Or, each time you type an ISBN entry start it with an apostrophe, e.g.
'0-471-86729-2
The apostrophe tells Excel to retain the rest of the entry exactly as typed (text format).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:03 pm
Yeah, either way oughtta work. I use the apostrophe method myself; it seems more convenient - a single keystroke - than alterin' the cell format, but mebbe thats just me. Dunno as it matters for whatchyer doin' there, but ya might wanna be aware the entered string will, as text, left-justify by default. If you don't want that, the formatin' the cell prolly is your best option. You could use ASCII "blank characters" to effectively alter justification, but that, with the necessary thinkin' and countin', is as much if not more trouble than just formattin' the cell.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:05 pm
I would use the apostophe too, but thought it would be easier for imdtckdkr to just change the block of cells to text in one fell swoop.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
Sure, that seems reasonable, Intrepid. Might depend on where in the array the ISBN numbers fall, their relationships to one another and other text, and just what sorta output was desired as to which way actually would be best, I s'pose.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:27 pm
Thanks everyone! I'll have to give both of those a try.

Here's another one for you to solve for me too! Surprised)

How do I keep a row together as one record? If I want to organize the list according to the different information in the columns how do I keep all the cells in one row moving together? I hope this made sense! I know that Access does what I am looking for but the person that is having me document his library doesn't have Access.

I really appreciate all your help!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:31 pm
You mean if you want to, say, sort alphabetically? don't worry, just choose a column by which you want to sort, click on A-Z button on your menu and it will ask you if you want to expand the selection. Yes you do.
To change format to text - you go to Tools, Format, there you have to click 'Cells'. There is a scroll down menu. You have to select the whole column first.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
You could highlight all of the cels that you want to include. Go to data, sort and pick the column you want to sort by. The rows will stay together.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:58 am
Thanks again! You've been a big help.
0 Replies