I have windows xp pro, but have to down size......

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:16 pm
My laptop currently was updated to xp pro, but I have to down size it now, to windows 2000 as xp will not support my sound card. I can't afford an external sound card right now, so I thought this would be cheaper, easier, and for the amount i use my laptop, it shouldn't really effect me much. So my question is, do I need to use a boot disc aswel to install 2000, or can I just reformat my hard drive, and use the 2000 cd? I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop for a boot disc, is there any way around having to use boot discs if they are needed? Thanks.

Pessy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 651 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:07 am
You're gonna find XP isn't gonna cooperate with what it considers a retrograde OS install. Its possible that when you installed XP, you saved your previous OS and settin's - the XP install routine shoulda given you the option to do so. If Win XP is in Add/Remove programs, you should be able to roll back to your original OS by uninstallin' XP.

Otherwise, your most practical option might be to establish a second partition for Win2K and go with a multi-boot setup. On the otherhand, a full wipe-format-and-clean install would work, but you'd hafta acquire and reload all of your drivers, peripheral software, and applications.

If an outboard soundcard isn't a financial practicality at the moment, I might just wait 'till it became feasible.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
Aww...well thanks timber, again for the help. Why does this stuff have to be so damn difficult....lol....
0 Replies