Shuting down Problems and whats svchost.exe?

Fijian

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:03 pm
when i usually try to shut down my computer, it takes like 3 mins, does anyone know why it always takes that long? also, sumtimes when i try to shut it down my whole desktop just disappears and all i see is my wallpaper and the whole computer is frozen, i cant ctrl+alt+dlt or anything.

plus, theres this thing in the task manager i always see thats svchost.exe
does anyone know what that is?

and theres this other thing there 2, its called EbatesMoeMoney, and there are usually like 4 of them running Sad

if anyone can help me with any of those poblems, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: oh, and whenever i close an internet window, all of the open ones close and i get this:

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/8939/explorereerror8xs.jpg

anyone know anything about that??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,856 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jddev

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:20 pm
Hi,

As if you already didn't know it, you've definitely got a corrupt windows installation at this point.

To answer a couple of your questions:
- svchost.exe is a crucial process for the Windows operation system. It handles processes executed by DLLs.
- EBatesMoeMoney is spyware/adware. It has infected your system and is obviously giving you performance issues. Since you have this, I'm willing to bet you have at least 1 virus on your system as well.

My recommendation would be to back up any important files (realize that they may be infected with a virus). After you've backed up the files you want, have everything removed from your system and re-installed... Windows and everything.

Jason
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
Yeah, svchost.exe is an essential process - however, yuckware typically exploits that. Most starup/shutdown issues generally are relatively easy to sort out short of re-installin' Windows, as are most yuckware issues, includin' virii, trojans, and worms.

Obviously, Fijian, you have a spyware/adware infection, prolly more than one. With the info you provided, I can't really say whether or not independent additional virus, worm, or trojan problems exist too, but you've got adware/spyware for sure. It would seem as well you have a few configuration/settin's problems, and I'd be unsurprised to find your Windows and Internet Explorer need updatin'.

Have a look At This Topic. If ya wanna follow through, we can prolly help ya. Its usually no more necessary to replace Windows because you're havin' problems with it than it is to replace a car because its dirty or its license plates are expired.
0 Replies

jddev

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:56 pm
True enough timberlandko. Although, if you've got enough problems with the engine it just may be smarter to replace it than it would be to take the time trying to fix it and never making it as good or fast as it once was.

Personally, I like for things to be optimized. A re-install wouldn't take more than an hour or so, depending on how much you wanted to put on it. Cleaning it up... who knows how long it will take, or if it will get back to good.

In the end, it's just a judgement call.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:51 am
oh, there's always a place for
fdisk C:\
(Enter)
Are you sure? Y or N
Y
(Enter)

Laughing
0 Replies

Fijian

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:03 am
ok guys, thanks for the help. im doing the things on the link you gave me 2 right now and it seems to be going okay so far..found like 129probs w/ spybot and and 156 w/ ad-aware...fixed all of em..

im gonna do the rest of stuff(HJT, bitdefender, trendmicro...)tommorow.
thanks for the help again.

EDIT: oh and, do you know what that message is that i get after closing an internet window..the screenshot i provided, any idea what thats from or how to fix it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:22 pm
Its a fair bet that error is related to yuckware on your machine.
0 Replies