The Real Origins of the Religious Right.

Real Music

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 09:24 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
The minion mentality is what creates authoritarian leadership and not the other way around. Where people choose responsible self-governance, how could authoritarian leadership win? Irresponsible and authority-oriented popular culture is the breeding ground for authoritarianism.

You put together a few words and sentences, but you haven't said anything.
You haven't made any points.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 09:38 pm
In the specific case of the United States, a combination of the institution of the Electoral College, combined with the piss-poor campaigning of Mrs. Clinton lead to the election of President Plump. The Electoral College has been a deeply flawed institution since the 1832 election, after which states began instituting a winner-take-all allocation of electoral votes. That's how populist, right-wing demagogues are able to take over liberal democracies--through the manipulation of constitutional flaws. That was exactly what Hitler did to take over Germany in 1933. Of the fifty states, only two don't use the winner-take-all system: Maine and Nebraska. LL wallows in ignorance and garden variety far right-wing narratives.
Real Music

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 10:08 pm
Roland Martin said on NewsOne Now:
President Donald Trump was missing in action.
He embarrassed himself, his administration and the nation with one of the most soulless,
gutless, shameful and despicable statements ever utter by an American president after a tragedy.

Published on Aug 14, 2017
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 05:16 am
@Setanta,
I know you probably don't want to give Mrs Clinton any excuses, but it is becoming more and more evident that the Russian influence had widespread (and continuing) impact on the behavior and decisions of voters(and I also believe Comey's last-minute announcement about renewing the investigation into Clinton's emails hurt her chances bigly).
livinglava

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 03:53 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
The minion mentality is what creates authoritarian leadership and not the other way around. Where people choose responsible self-governance, how could authoritarian leadership win? Irresponsible and authority-oriented popular culture is the breeding ground for authoritarianism.

You put together a few words and sentences, but you haven't said anything.
You haven't made any points.

None that you want to understand anyway, it seems.
Real Music

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 07:13 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
None that you (want) to understand anyway, it seems.

Has nothing to do with (wanting) to understand.
In your most recent post, you have not presented a coherent thought or idea.
Your most recent post was mostly rambling.
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:27 pm
@snood,
My criticism of her is "excuse-proof." She sat on her dead ass for weeks after the convention, as though it had been a coronation, after which she didn't need to do anything. (Criticized for that, her campaign issued a statement that she has been ill, something which had not been mentioned previously.) She wasted an inexcusable amount of time in Florida, a state she could not reasonably expect to win. She wasted Mr. Obama's considerable political capital in Florida. She hardly campaigned at all in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, states which could have put her over the top in the Electoral College. Those were the three most significant states which she neglected among about a dozen states that Mr. Obama had previously won.

Finally, she won the popular vote--she lost in the Electoral College. Either she, or her handlers, were effectively, campaigning morons. Neither the Russians nor Comey could have done anything to her, if she had run a smart campaign, and if she had used her time wisely in states she needlessly lost.
snood

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:17 am
@Setanta,
She definitely could have run a better campaign. I can't dismiss the determined, sustained efforts of the Russians in collusion with the present bunch:
maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:01 am
@snood,
One also shouldn’t take any blame off the voters in those states.

They could’ve shown up regardless of HC campaigning there.

I’ve never once attended a campaign event nor have I needed a candidate to “get me excited to vote”. I wouldn’t care what state a candidate campaigned in.

I’d do the job that the country needed me to do and vote for the most powerful position in the world.

Some people need to grow up. This ain’t American Idol. Our presidential candidate shouldn’t need a 24/7 hype team.
snood

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:25 am
@maporsche,
100% agree.

Never occurs to me not to vote. Even when I am totally cynical about the system and my place in it, it never occurs to me that I should NOT exercise that one small, hard-won right. Every time I think of the numbers of people who sit idle on election days - and what their simple participation could mean - it fucks with my head.

maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 01:52 pm
@snood,
I know part of the "sit idle on election day" problem is due to the way we treat voting and how some states don't allow same-day registration, or mail in ballots, or early voting, etc. There is a difference between "didn't vote" and "couldn't vote" to me and many of us.

That's why we need more Democrats elected to expand the vote and make it easier on those who currently do not participate.

Part of it (maybe a good part) is sheer ignorance, idiocy, and laziness though; and that's hard to stomach.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 03:47 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
None that you (want) to understand anyway, it seems.

Has nothing to do with (wanting) to understand.
In your most recent post, you have not presented a coherent thought or idea.
Your most recent post was mostly rambling.

And this one of yours is just debating about blame.
Real Music

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:01 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

Once again, no one knows what you are babbling about.
What in the hell are you talking about?
Do you have something to say?
Please say something.
Say anything.
Just stop the senseless incoherent babbling.
livinglava

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 04:20 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Once again, no one knows what you are babbling about.
What in the hell are you talking about?
Do you have something to say?
Please say something.
Say anything.
Just stop the senseless incoherent babbling.

I did have something to say, but you ignored it. No worries. I can see now that it is not worth discussing with you.
Real Music

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 09:35 pm
@livinglava,
As soon as you actually say something, I will be happy to engage in a conversation, discussion, or debate with you.
livinglava

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:56 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

As soon as you actually say something, I will be happy to engage in a conversation, discussion, or debate with you.

If that was the case, you wouldn't have insulted and dismissed what I said before.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 01:56 pm
October 15th, 2016 - Appearing on MSNBC's "AM with Joy Reid", Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II
gives an intellectual explanation as to why evangelicals are divided on voting for Donald Trump.

Published on Oct 19, 2016
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 12:58 pm
Published May 17, 2012

Limbaugh considers himself a spokesperson for America’s religious right, evangelizing the merits of “conservative, family values,” even though he has no children and has been married four times. He preaches the dangers of drug use, even though he’s an addict himself. And among Rush’s most recent controversies, he publicly called fellow Methodist Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” and asked her to post videos of herself having sex online because she had the gall to ask that contraception be covered under her student insurance plan.

In fact, for his disparaging comments towards this student, factions of the Methodist Church condemned Limbaugh, officially releasing a statement that read, among other things:

Attempting to silence women through humiliation is an affront to God in Whose image we are all made.

Though for all of his hypocrisy, at least Rush is humble. He says things like:

Greetings, conversationalists across the fruited plain, this is Rush Limbaugh, the most dangerous man in America, with the largest hypothalamus in North America, serving humanity simply by opening my mouth, destined for my own wing in the Museum of Broadcasting, executing everything I do flawlessly with zero mistakes, doing this show with half my brain tied behind my back just to make it fair because I have talent on loan from……God. Rush Limbaugh. A man. A legend. A way of life.

A shining example of right-wing nut-jobbery

Limbaugh is a Republican, a conservative Republican. He’s so conservative that he thinks Republican moderates like John McCain need to join the Independent Party or even side with the Democrats because, in Rush’s view, there’s no room for moderates in the Republican Party.

Limbaugh can be, at times, rather racist. His list of racist comments is long and picking one choice quote was quite difficult, but here it is. Follow the link for a few more.

I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.

Furthermore, some might consider him sexist as well. He said:

[Feminism was established] to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society.

Limbaugh is endlessly critical of the Obama administration (some of which might be racism). When Obama was elected, Rush said:

I hope he fails.

Limbaugh has millions of loyal listeners, many of which take his word as socio-political gospel. Many supporters, when confronted with critiques of Rush’s views, claim that it’s all for the sake of entertainment–that his arrogance is a front, and that his controversial views serve only to boost ratings. Personally, I don’t completely buy it. But if this is true, the humor is in bad form and those scores of listeners who take Rush quite seriously, to whom Rush owes his fortune and fame, are being misled.

https://hollowverse.com/rush-limbaugh/
livinglava

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 02:12 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Published May 17, 2012

Limbaugh considers himself a spokesperson for America’s religious right, evangelizing the merits of “conservative, family values,” even though he has no children and has been married four times. He preaches the dangers of drug use, even though he’s an addict himself. And among Rush’s most recent controversies, he publicly called fellow Methodist Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” and asked her to post videos of herself having sex online because she had the gall to ask that contraception be covered under her student insurance plan.

In fact, for his disparaging comments towards this student, factions of the Methodist Church condemned Limbaugh, officially releasing a statement that read, among other things:

Attempting to silence women through humiliation is an affront to God in Whose image we are all made.

Though for all of his hypocrisy, at least Rush is humble. He says things like:

Greetings, conversationalists across the fruited plain, this is Rush Limbaugh, the most dangerous man in America, with the largest hypothalamus in North America, serving humanity simply by opening my mouth, destined for my own wing in the Museum of Broadcasting, executing everything I do flawlessly with zero mistakes, doing this show with half my brain tied behind my back just to make it fair because I have talent on loan from……God. Rush Limbaugh. A man. A legend. A way of life.

A shining example of right-wing nut-jobbery

Limbaugh is a Republican, a conservative Republican. He’s so conservative that he thinks Republican moderates like John McCain need to join the Independent Party or even side with the Democrats because, in Rush’s view, there’s no room for moderates in the Republican Party.

Limbaugh can be, at times, rather racist. His list of racist comments is long and picking one choice quote was quite difficult, but here it is. Follow the link for a few more.

I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.

Furthermore, some might consider him sexist as well. He said:

[Feminism was established] to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society.

Limbaugh is endlessly critical of the Obama administration (some of which might be racism). When Obama was elected, Rush said:

I hope he fails.

Limbaugh has millions of loyal listeners, many of which take his word as socio-political gospel. Many supporters, when confronted with critiques of Rush’s views, claim that it’s all for the sake of entertainment–that his arrogance is a front, and that his controversial views serve only to boost ratings. Personally, I don’t completely buy it. But if this is true, the humor is in bad form and those scores of listeners who take Rush quite seriously, to whom Rush owes his fortune and fame, are being misled.

https://hollowverse.com/rush-limbaugh/

You are wasting energy attacking political enemies instead of working toward progress on issues that matter. If the only issue that matters to you is eliminating political diversity so you can achieve a stronger majority for majoritarianism, nothing beneficial will come of that.
Real Music

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 06:56 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
You are wasting energy attacking political enemies instead of working toward progress on issues that matter. If the only issue that matters to you is eliminating political diversity so you can achieve a stronger majority for majoritarianism, nothing beneficial will come of that.

Oh, I get it now.
You must be mistaking me for Donald Trump.

No, you say?

Maybe you are mistaking me for Sean Hannity.

No, you say?

Maybe you are mistaking me for Laura Ingraham.

No, you say?

Maybe you are mistaking for Glenn Beck.

No, you say?

Maybe you are mistaking me for Ann Coulter.

No, you say?

Maybe you are mistaking me for Rush Limbaugh,

No. you say?

Maybe you are mistaking me for Mitch McConnell.

No, you say?

Well let me set you straight. I'm not either one of those divisive hatemongers.
Your above comments needs to be directed straight at Donald Trump, Sean Hannity,
Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and Mitch McConnell.