Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 572 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:31 pm
Nice piece of propaganda, Walter.
0 Replies

Prospero

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
Fbaezer, I am interested in hearing more of what you have to say about your above comment.

I understand you are from somewhere in Central/South America?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:43 pm
Hi Prospero.
Mexico is Latin America allright, but not Central, nor South Smile.

Lemme say that two evils do not make a good.

Also, that phrases such as:

"the infamous decision made by the court on August 14, 2002... The coup was reversed by a popular uprising 48 hours later... the poor majority who back Chavez... Venezuela's capitalist-backed opposition... What the Venezuelan opposition is really afraid of is that the capitalist elite is losing control over the courts, and therefore their immunity from prosecution for the crimes they have committed to date in their campaign against Chavez...the pro-boss, anti-Chavez Confederation of Venezuelan Unions (CTV)..." do not strike me as merely informative.

This paragraph is priceless:

"In 1992, angered at the state repression during what they felt to be a just uprising, thousands of young soldiers, led by Chavez, then an officer in the paratrooper division, launched a failed rebellion aimed at overthrowing Perez and forcing fresh elections for a new civilian government".

Hmm. Not a coup attempt, a "rebellion" to avenge the repression of a "just uprising".

This paragraphs lack a few "details" (on my bolds):

"Reform of the Supreme Court The decision to nullify the old ruling was made possible because of a law to reform the Supreme Court, passed by the (Chavista majority) parliament last year. Among other measures, the law increased the number of judges sitting on the Supreme Court from 20 to 32, and allowed for the appointment of a judge by a simple (Chavista) majority vote of the National Assembly, Venezuela's unicameral parliament. Prior to the adoption of this law, a two-thirds majority was required.

"The new law also allows for the annulment of a judge's appointment to the court if he or she fails to uphold the law and the constitution... " (according to the Chavez controlled majority of the National Assembly).

Finally:

"Since winning the presidential election in 1998, Chavez has reversed many of the neoliberal policies implemented by Perez."

If "reversion of many of the neoliberal policies" brings the social results it has brought in Venezuela, then it's a fine argument in favor of neoliberal policies.
0 Replies