Fav Foreign Films.

LarryBS

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:07 am
Its a hard one to find, although it may be available on DVD or VHS by now.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 04:35 am
I'll check out Netflix.com, thats where I rent all my indie films.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 04:58 am
They are great, I bet they have it, if its available.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 05:00 am
Yeah, I love it....it really saves me a lot of money.

Ya know.....have you seen Y tu Mama Tambien? I thought I was bying the unrated version, and guess what? It's rated---I hate it when that happens.

Did you ever see Novacaine with Steve Martin?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 05:03 am
I've made that rated/unrated subtitled/dubbed mistake many times, but its usually just a rental.

I distinctly remember renting Novacaine, but couldn't tell you what its about. Maybe I rented it and never got around to watching it. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 05:14 am
A dentist and murder mystery type deal, it's hilarious.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 05:49 am
Did you ever see The Spanish Prisoner? Mamet movie I think, Steve Martin among others. I liked it.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 11:24 am
Just rented Run Lola Run and 8 Women. Fell asleep 4 times during Women. Maybe it was the wine. Everyone's giving out such great films. I'll never get out of my house.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 08:08 pm
Those of you on this thread and others have convinced me to get some foreign films so that I can revisit some favorites I haven't seen in years.

Truffaut's The 400 Blows just arrived. I'll be back.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 08:10 pm
That's a terrific film, Diane. Enjoy!
Were/are you a Truffaut enthusiast? I LOVED Day For Night!
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 08:26 pm
Just finished watching Run Lola Run. Now I know why everyone liked it so much. Really great film. I'll try 8 Women again tonight. I must be missing something.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 08:44 pm
Many of italian films of Fellini,F. and Visconti,L.
e.g.,
"La Dolce Vita"
"Amarcordo"

"Ludwig II"
"Leopardo"
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 01:28 am
Recent ones I liked, The Celebration, featuring the family from hell, its Dutch I think. Bread and Tulips, a light comedy, very nice. La Buche, about "Christmas, family, and infidelity."
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
If you don't know foreign films, you don't know what film is capable of at its highest. Most of the really artistic films have come from outside America--especially from France, Italy, and Japan. The greatest directors over the past fifty years have all been foreigners: Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini, Akira Kurosawa, Yasujiro Ozu, Kenji Mizoguchi, Max Ophuls, Michelangelo Antonioni, and the entire French New Wave (especially Truffaut and Godard.) You can't be cinematically literate unless you know foreign films in depth. They put American films to shame.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 08:04 am
I can not see the excellent works of Fellini and Visconti mentioned without adding works of their Italian contemporaries, De Sica and Rossellini:
"Bicycle Thief"
"Shoe Shine"
"Two Women"
"Open City"
"Paisan"
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:12 am
Saw a great movie from Finland over the weekend; The Man Without a Past, a film by Aki Kaurismaki. It won the grand jury prize and best actress award for Kati Outinen at the 2002 Cannes film festival.
It's about a man who loses his memory after being mugged in Helsinki.
He's taken in by a group of people from the lower rung of the cities population, and from there the story unfolds. The subdued, deadpan humor was the core of the film for me. A very creative, original movie.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Larry,"The Celebration" is Danish.
msolga,I too loved "Day For Night":saw it recently at the cinema which was a big treat.
"Pierrot le fou" Godard
"il Gattopardo" Visconti
"Un homme et une femme" Lelouche.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Atanarjuat, The Fast Runner....amazing piece of work. Technically, the film is Canadian, but it is all in the Inuit language, and based on Inuit myth (if you don't live here, that classifies it as foreign Very Happy). Beautiful movie....just saw it a second time, and plan to watch it again.
0 Replies

Wilso

Most of the films I;ve seen in my life have been foreign.
0 Replies

owi

a movie, which i like:

Aguirre: The Wrath Of God
0 Replies