Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:19 pm
@singlesucks13,
Hey Dr, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that.
Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 09:16 pm
@singlesucks13,
And that is surprising?

Why do you think it is called junk food?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 12:47 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Hey Dr, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that.

Seconding this.

Follow up question to OP:
Can you take a neutral perspective and tell us (honestly) how relatively healthy the rest of your daily/weekly eating habits are? I'll take your word for granted that you only eat fast food once a month but given your posting history? I'm not sure if you can afford eating fruits and veggies even on a semiregular basis.

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 02:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'm not sure if you can afford eating fruits and veggies even on a semiregular basis.

Honestly?

Fruits and veggies are every so much cheaper than fast food.

Of course not if the fruit you are picking is one of those Buddha's Hands, or are buying oyster or shitake mushrooms.

For the (I looked it up) 3.99 a big mac costs (5.99 for the combo) You can get a **** ton of whatever fresh vegetables that are on sale that week at the store, or if it's a Friday, they have a lot of half off specials on perfectly fresh items they are just trying to move out for the coming weekend.

Fruit? Bananas are like what? .69/pound? 3 bananas per pound.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 02:59 pm
@singlesucks13,
I looked at the "meat" of a Big Mac once. It made me queasy. I pressed against it with my thumb. That made me hurl.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:02 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

I'm not sure if you can afford eating fruits and veggies even on a semiregular basis.

Honestly?

Fruits and veggies are every so much cheaper than fast food.

You're preaching to the choir. There still is that ... widespread public mentality that eating healthy (including fresh veggies and fruit... especially if we're talking about a single individual who may or may not end up wasting the produce away and uneaten in the fridge) has always held ... almost as a cemented truth to people who aren't in the know what healthy eating is in the first place.

Quote:
if it's a Friday, they have a lot of half off specials on perfectly fresh items they are just trying to move out for the coming weekend.

I don't think that concept exists in NYC. Or I have never come across this produce related deal.
roger

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:15 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, yeah. I bought a bag of salad stuff, once. Lettuce with some shredded orange stuff - probably carrot. Over three dollars a bag. One serving and the whole mess turned wilted, soggy, and brown. Cookies don't do that to you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 04:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

You're preaching to the choir. There still is that ... widespread public mentality that eating healthy (including fresh veggies and fruit... especially if we're talking about a single individual who may or may not end up wasting the produce away and uneaten in the fridge) has always held ... almost as a cemented truth to people who aren't in the know what healthy eating is in the first place.

Yeah, the public has gotten used to eating everything from a box or plastic package. That's gonna hurt your bank balance. As far back as I can remember, I've unconsciously pretty much only bought most of my grocery store food from the perimeter of the store. Except for things like coffee, which I still get, and pasta, rice and cereals, which I no longer buy. It's not like I was trying to be all Earth Mother. It just never made sense to me to buy something in a box or bag, when something cheaper, and better is right there. Now I do buy frozen veg, as far as broc, and sometimes spinach. I don't think there's much else in my freezer.

Ok, here's a real "mind blown" for those people who say they can't afford to eat right. As I've mentioned, I've been eating a ketogenic diet for quite some time now. Very low carb, above the ground vegetables, moderate protein, a lot of fat.
I now buy only grass fed butter, organic cream, lots of pasture raised eggs, and other sources of saturated and unsaturated fat such as good olive and avocado oil. No nasty cheap canola or corn/vegetable oils. Examples of my protein are NY strip steaks, shrimp, wild caught salmon chicken thighs/legs/wings eggs, etc. I don't skimp on buying things that are already prepared that I just can't be bothered with making myself.

With all that, and a cart with lots of fresh and frozen veg, I STILL spend less than people who are standing in line with me with carts filled with boxes, plastic bags and containers and so forth. And, my health is better for it. A lot better than 90% of the people my age I'd guess.

No wonder fast food makes someone queasy. It's not food.

maporsche

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 06:04 pm
@chai2,
I have been eating Keto for about 2 months.

I still go to McDonalds maybe once a week. Delicious.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 06:18 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

For the (I looked it up) 3.99 a big mac costs (5.99 for the combo) You can get a **** ton of whatever fresh vegetables that are on sale that week at the store, or if it's a Friday, they have a lot of half off specials on perfectly fresh items they are just trying to move out for the coming weekend.

Fruit? Bananas are like what? .69/pound? 3 bananas per pound.

yup - just got 2 bananas for $0.50 cdn (which is pricy for here, but not dreadful. 2 apples for $1.00. a half-price end of day Cobb Salad for $3.15.

Pre-made Cobb Salads are my fav - a little bit of everything in there. Green stuff/cheese - either cheddar or blue/roast chicken/bacon/quartered boiled egg/some random veggies/often avocado slices. If I get the large one for about $5 Cdn I've got the better part of 4 meals for me and Set without having to do much cooking. Chicken salad sandwiches, egg salad (or devilled egg) on greens, bacon and cheese for an omelette, all the leftover bits in a soup. It's pretty amazing. So many meals for so little cooking effort. I'm all for that.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 06:20 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I don't do McD's often but every now and then it is the only thing that will settle my stomach. 1 small burger dressed as a big mac, small fries, some kind of soda. Odd eh.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 07:06 pm
@ehBeth,
That cobb salad sounds great.

Yeah, I don't find any end of the day stuff at stores. Not like I'm looking. I think I've seen things like a roast chicken going for 1/2 off when I've been in a store closing time. But they must get snatched up quickly.

Funny, there are 2 HEBs on my regular places to stop. One is actually a couple of miles closer, on Lamar and Oltorf, but their parking situation sucks, and it's just not as great as the other one I usually go to. It's just shop worn. They are going to be replacing it one of these years on some property they bought across the intersection.

In this one though, you will never find the end of the week half price things. It's a different customer base, and those things GO!

In the one I ususally go to, on Brodie and William Cannon, you can find a good amount of deals on a Friday. Honestly? I don't mark my calendar, but if I'm in there on Friday, I take a look. The customers there aren't snooty, but there is a little bit, especially among younger shoppers, of this "Eww. It's half off, must be something wrong. I'll get sick and die"

One time I was picking up a clamshell of fresh spinach 1/2 off, and a young gal was picking up one marked full price. I pointed out to her that there were more 1/2 off ones, and she looked at me as if I asked her to eat vomit. I looked at the expiration dates, and the half off ones were literally 2 days earlier than the full price ones, and both were like days off.

Some people think if the expiration date hits, the item must suddenly become rotten.

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 07:56 pm
@chai2,
RANCH DRESSING SUCKS---Away King!!!
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 09:23 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Doesn’t that throw you out of ketosis and start up even mild cravings?
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 09:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

RANCH DRESSING SUCKS---Away King!!!

Huh?
maporsche

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 10:46 pm
@chai2,
No ketchup. No bun.
farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 05:14 am
@chai2,
I cannot stand anything on which they slather Ranch Dressing as a flavor enhancer. Its vile. Its like mayonnaise gone bad, then is covered with garlic so now its rotten mayonnaise dipped with garlic to cover the stench.

Lotta places that serve up fresh broatsed chicken parts , often dont ask they just slather. I always tell em NO GODDAM RANCH DRESSING K??

Then they forget anyway and I dont get the bag opened till Im like 10 miles down the road .

Makes me wanna start a fb page to rant on and blame everybody for my shitty life getting dis'ed by a buncha chicken chokers.

Othern that im gentrally happy.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 05:59 am
@farmerman,
I think I def prefer the way we get our rotisserie chickens - straight up in the rotisserie in the middle of the store so you can see what's happening and then packaged in clear containers so you can see what you're getting. Given that I've never heard of anyplace/anyone using ranch dressing on poultry. That isn't a thing round here. I love the piri piri chicken they make on occasion at the grocery store. We do love our Portuguese rotisserie chicken in Toronto.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 06:57 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Are one of the driving reasons that about a third of the spammers to a2k are hawking keto products?