George

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:21 pm
I'll be in NOLA staying near the corner of Poydras & Loyola. Any suggestions
for good breakfast/lunch places nearby?

Also, for drinks in the evening?

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:41 pm
@George,
Willa Jeans, Ruby Slipper and Red Gravy are all in/near the CBD and are good/popular for both breakfast and lunch.

Drinks? In New Orleans? Surely, you jest! Wink One of my favorite spots is Johnny Sanchez. It's a John Besh & Arron Sanchez collaboration. Nice space, great happy hour. Voodoo Two and The Sazarac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel are both nearby. Walk-Ons is a sports bar with typical bad sports bar food, but it's popular. The Little Gem has a bar downstairs and another space upstairs. Music both up and down, depending on the night.

These are all an easy walk from where you're staying. There are millions more options around town, depending on how far out you want to go.
engineer

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:58 pm
@George,
Are you doing tourist stuff? If so, for breakfast, go to down Poydras to the Riverwalk. Inside the Riverwalk is a Cafe Du Monde where the locals go to get their beignets and avoid all the tourists around Jackson Square. (Of course, you can go to the famous Cafe Du Monde there also.) For lunch, Cafe Maspero on Decatur is a local favorite. Lots of locals spend their lunch hour there, so plan accordingly. Both of those are a bit of a walk from where you are staying but close to the tourist sites if you are site-seeing.

In the evening, my favorite is Fritzel's European Jazz Bar. Very casual, very good music. You can always go to Snug Harbor for upscale jazz if you want to take it up a notch.
George

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 01:05 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
. . . Drinks? In New Orleans? Surely, you jest! Wink . . .

Yeah, you right.
New Orleans is like the mobile phone ad "More bars in more places"!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 01:15 pm
@engineer,
Yeah, we'll be doing tourist stuff. It's a reunion of a bunch of guys who used
to be in a religious order. We'll be there for only a few days. You're right,
Café du Monde is a must.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:28 pm
Still sticking with the CBD area - nicer dinners include Herbsaint, Peche and Borgne. Lighter fare, including many vegetarian options, available all day at Carmo (get the chopped noodle salad) and anything they have on special.
George

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 09:47 am
@JPB,
Thank you. Reading up on these is making me hungry.
0 Replies