If oxygen, nitrogen and ozone disappear...

nickbod

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 07:34 pm
Hi everyone!

I have some trouble figuring out the following question:

If oxygen, nitrogen and ozone did not absorb UV radiation, what would you expect the temperature profile in the atmosphere to look like between the surface and top of the atmosphere? Specify the temperatures at Tropopause, Stratopause and Mesopause.

My guess would be that the surface would become hotter, however, I am not sure about the rest...

I would appreciate any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,884 • Replies: 4
No top replies

livinglava

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 08:04 pm
@nickbod,
nickbod wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have some trouble figuring out the following question:

If oxygen, nitrogen and ozone did not absorb UV radiation, what would you expect the temperature profile in the atmosphere to look like between the surface and top of the atmosphere? Specify the temperatures at Tropopause, Stratopause and Mesopause.

My guess would be that the surface would become hotter, however, I am not sure about the rest...

I would appreciate any help!

This is a strange hypothetical question. Why are you thinking in this way?

I don't mean that as a rhetorical insult, btw. I'm really asking why you are thinking about UV, the atmospheric layers, etc. in this way. Is there a broader concern, question, or issue you have that relates to this question?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 08:49 pm
@nickbod,
most life would extinguish in minutes if the entire atmosphere were gone as you set out in those conditions (AIR is about 80% N2 and 20%O2).

if there were noone left to mind the instruments, would the physical results of a "missing atmosphere" matter?. I dont know the answer to the other points but you can calculate em via the formula for the adiabatic lapse rate for our atmosphere.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 08:28 am
@farmerman,
I suspect that the OP is trying to envision what would happen if we still had all of our atmosphere, but it somehow didn't absorb any UV radiation.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 08:34 am
@oralloy,
yes but all the 'Spheres" are determined via gas concentrations /cu m
0 Replies