Memory card corruption/failure/problems or something else?

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
Lately I have noticed some problems with the color on my portraits - mostly in skin tone recording.

I have eliminated the lab and the lights as the source of the problem so I'm thinking maybe my camera or memory cards.

I've had memory cards fail but I've not had one "go bad".

I tried looking up some info on memory card corruption but honestly all that computer and technical stuff makes me want to go buy a roll or hundred of film.

Before I go out and buy new memory cards or send my camera in for an overhaul I thought I would ask the lovely citizens of A2K if they've ever experienced a problem like this.

Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 935 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:28 pm
Hello

....ello
.......llo
..........lo
.............o

Nobody? Anybody?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:29 pm
Shootin' in the dark here, so to speak, but ya might wanna check the white balance and color balance settin's on your camera.

Another thing ya might wanna try would be to do a full format of the cards. The camera may have a utility for that, but I'd recommend puttin' the card in a card reader, usin' your 'puter's Format utility first, to ensure a full "clean slate" wipe-and-format, then usin' the camera's Format utility if it has one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:02 pm
Hi timberlandko!

We do wipe and reformat the card after each use.

We talked it over today and we are going to do some tests with the white balance. We recently moved our studio and although we are using the same lighting system we thought this would be easy enough to investigate.

We also dug down into the bag and pulled out a little used card to work with today and things seemed pretty good on it.

I think it must be that the much used cards are getting a little old and kind of funky.

I was reading that Sandisk has introduced a new industrial card which makes me think that maybe the cards do wear out and don't record accurately after a while.

I've never thought of those things going bad but when you think about it, there really isn't any reason to expect them to last forever!

Thank you.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:08 pm
I s'pose age deterioration ain't outta the question; nothin' lasts forever. I do have some CF cards that date from the late '90s, though, and while they're slow and have little capacity compared with contemporary offerin's, they function just fine otherwise, and some have had hundreds of cyclin's.

I haven't tried the SanDisc "industrial" cards, but I'll say I'm very impressed by Lexar's high-speed/high capacity "Pro" series. Usin' an 80X card for burst shootin', I can't fill the camera's buffer!
0 Replies