Can this happen-Genetics question

Byfenn

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 05:57 pm
I'm writing a story with a fictional species and a small plot-point involves the inheritance of genetics. Basically, they inherit one trait solely from the mother, and one trait solely from the father.

Just for example, say there was a species of deer that could be brown or black, with antlers that could either be long and curved, or short and branched. Mom is brown with curved antlers, dad is black with branched antlers. Their kids could only be brown with branched antlers. If a black female with curved antlers and a brown male with branched antlers reproduced, they could only produce children with black fur and branched antlers. Fur color would be dependent on the mother, while antler type would rely on the father.

Is genetic inheritance like this actually possible, or do I need to change it to a case of sexual dimorphism, where, to continue the above the example, females could only be brown with curved antlers, and males could only be black with branched antlers?

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 06:44 pm
@Byfenn,
You're writing a fictional species. You get to make the genetic rules.
Byfenn

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 06:49 pm
@jespah,
I understand that I get to make the rules, but if I ever get published I'd like to be able to say, "Well, in nature there's examples of this..." I guess it's mainly a pride thing, but if there are real-world examples, I could do more research and may get inspired to create something even more interesting.
bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 08:01 pm
@Byfenn,
Female deers don't have antlers so very fictional storyline
Byfenn

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 08:09 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
I know does don't have antlers, I just couldn't think of a better example off the top of my head. I suppose goats or bison would have been a better example, if I'm so focused on four legged hoofed animals.

The actual subject is going to be aliens, and the genetics in question are more focused on internal components, like the immune system and how their minds work.
bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 08:13 pm
@Byfenn,
Since fiction anything is possible like antlers or donkey dong ha ha. Donkey dong would attract me to read more than antlers.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 08:19 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
Except reindeer, which are pretty much the same as caribou.
bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 08:35 pm
@roger,
Only in reality not necessarily in fiction
roger

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 09:32 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
In my world, all deer have horns - all the time.
bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 10:00 pm
@roger,
Fantasy is good for your enjoying life
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 04:31 am
@Byfenn,
I think the short answer to your genetics question is, Yes, it can happen.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 05:36 am
@Byfenn,
I understand the need for a degree of 'accuracy', but I can assure you that the chances of someone asking about something that arcane are not high.

You sell its plausibility with your prose.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 06:04 am
I agree with Jespah, and if you're a good story teller, readers will suspend disbelief.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 09:50 am
@bunnyhabit ,
bunnyhabit wrote:

Female deers don't have antlers so very fictional storyline

Nope. That's a mistake.

Quote:
The Missouri Department of Conservation has found that there is usually one female deer with antlers for every 65 to 4,437 female deer. As can be seen, the prevalence of female deer with antlers can be quite high if it adheres to the one in 65 probability rather than the one in 4,437.

source

Quote:
Females generally lack antlers, though female reindeer bear antlers smaller and less branched than those of the males.[24] Occasionally females in other species may develop antlers, especially in telemetacarpal deer such as European roe deer, red deer, white-tailed deer and mule deer and less often in plesiometacarpal deer. A study of antlered female white-tailed deer noted that antlers tend to be small and malformed, and are shed frequently around the time of parturition.

source

Quote:
JEFFERSON CITY – The Kinks didn’t have white-tailed deer in mind when they wrote the lyrics to rock song “Lola,” but five antlered female deer reported to the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) lend new meaning to the phrase, “It’s a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world.”

Antlered female deer crop up in Missouri’s deer harverstThis content is archived

0 Replies

JustKidding

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 10:22 am
@Byfenn,
No, it isn`t
0 Replies