Family Tree Test (changes human history?)

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 12:11 pm
Recently, a cousin had me submit a DNA sample to these people. This story is more interesting to me as a result. would like feedback from the resident scientists.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2289492/The-family-tree-test-rewrote-human-history-Researchers-stunned-DNA-submitted-online-service-dates-338-000-years.html
DNA traced to Mbo, a population living in a tiny area of western Cameroon
Proves last common Y chromosome ancestor lived 338,000 years ago, even though oldest fossil of modern man is only 200,000 years old

'This pushes back the time the last common Y chromosome ancestor lived by almost 70 percent.'

This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

The fossil record dates back about 200,000 years, said Hammer.

Either interbreeding with Neanderthals or other populations led to the unusual genetic makeup, he said, or humans evolved far earlier than the extant fossil record suggests.

The new divergent lineage - which was found when Mr Perry contacted Family Tree DNA, a company specializing in DNA analysis to trace family roots - branched from the Y chromosome tree before the first appearance of anatomically modern humans in the fossil record.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,660 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 07:10 pm
The website had a sale on test kits and my cousin from Dallas took advantage to pay for me and one other cousin. He said he needs the three of us to further his studies of family genealogy. I am curious enough that I allowed it. Between the 22nd and the 7th, they will give us the results. I will need to rely on his expertise interpreting it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 07:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Keep us up to date. I enjoy genealogy, but none of my siblings are.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:27 pm
This is facinating Edgar.

Lately I've been thinking of having my DNA tested. I only knew my grandmothers, and only know what country all my grandparents were born in. I'd love to know more.

Unfortunately, as a female, my DNA will only track the maternal side. A male's DNA will track both maternal and paternal due to the Y chromosome.

My father, one of my brothers, and uncle are deceased, I have no contact with my only remaining brother. I have a male cousin, but he is an aunts son, so his Y chromosome belongs to his father, who is unrelated to me.

It's be fun you getting your results.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:45 pm
@chai2,
There are different test kits.
there are four types of genetic genealogy tests – autosomal
DNA tests, X-DNA tests, Y-DNA tests, and mtDNA tests

The website calls my test The Family Finder
https://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm going to look into it.

Thanks.

Maybe I'll find out I'm related to Gengis Khans wife. (one of them)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:43 pm
I had hoped our resident scientists would weigh in on the topic in the opening post.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 04:51 am
@edgarblythe,
It seemed like a broad topic, with a lot of unknowns mentioned in the article. My first impression is that they need to research this more and narrow the range of possibilities before it gets really interesting. Is there a particular aspect of this that you wanted to discuss?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 06:16 am
@rosborne979,
Not really. I just wanted to know if people accept what they said or consider them full of it.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 06:38 am
@edgarblythe,
I felt like there wasn't enough data yet for them to make any meaningful claim of a "discovery".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:38 pm
The test results came in. There were many pages of cousins, near and removed. Only a few of whom I even casually know. The greatest surprise is, I am 100% European. My mother must have been told wrong when informed that we have American Indian relatives. Looks like UK, Switzerland, Norway, mostly. They made circles of varying darkness over Europe to highlight the areas.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Some Viking blood heh?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just call me Edgar the Red.
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 12:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Shirtless Edgar vs his neighbor

http://img.news.zing.vn/img/4/t4840.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 12:56 pm
I had that done once't . . . i found out that most of my ancestors is human.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:17 pm
I found it a fun exercise, but would never have initiated it on my own. My cousin from Dallas wanted to do three cousins for his genealogy studies. I did not make any new relative acquaintances or actually gain much new understanding from any of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Made me laugh..
0 Replies