I discovered some new spice blends

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:35 am
I recently picked up some new spice blends. I found a 'himalayan pink salt/black pepper/garlic' combo that was sooooooo good on steak. I was cruising thru some cajan recipes and discovered some nifty blends.....I'm not shilling for any spice company but I found a few with expresso/brown sugar/coriander/oregano which is also fantastic on beef, I bought a few others which will be great with pork or chicken or turkey. I stick to Old Bay if I'm making crab cakes or steaming shrimp and ooh, and I have a recipe for making potato salad with Old Bay that my husband loves.

Any body using something new that they didn't know about 10 years ago?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,222 • Replies: 50

KingReef

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:44 am
@glitterbag,
I'm using butter for pan fried beef; rib eye, t-bone, any cut that I think I can cram more flavor into an already flavorful steak. I have a small garden with sage, rosemary and Thyme, I try to incorporate those flavors carefully, they can be more potent than is useful if used in too much quantity.

I'm still partial to just salt and pepper on the better cuts though. The other herbs are perhaps distracting to the natural taste at times.

I also use fresh cut herbs on the coals of the barbecue, it gives whatever meat I'm grilling a subtle flavor profile.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:35 am
@glitterbag,
Mrs F found something called COSMIC PEPPER. ts a tellicherry base with all kindsa spices, kinda Italianate. Make a steak au poivre with it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:37 am
@KingReef,
sounds interesting, doyou use any kinds or some special herbs
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:43 am
@glitterbag,
Funny you mention Himalayan pink salt, I literally bought some for the first time yesterday.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 01:14 pm
@izzythepush,
It’s even pretty to look at.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 02:55 pm
@glitterbag,
It is.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 04:23 pm
@KingReef,
KingReef, the only problem I see with that is that butter has a low smoke point and a good steak needs to be pan fried at a high heat.

I take the steak out of the fridge and generously salt both sides, then let it sit out and come to room temp before pan frying. Then I let it rest on a plate for a few minutes, putting Kerry Gold butter on it during that time.

I like seasoning, but am a purist with good salt only on my steak.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 09:31 pm
@chai2,
I usually grill steak outside, but I also like the way it turns out under the broiler. I have never used a pan to fry steak although apparently everyone else in the country does. One of these days I will try it.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:36 pm
We have been using the pink Himalayan salt for several years now. The Girl found it at the local dollarama, so we get it at a low price, too. Yup . . . genuine Himalayan pink salt, from the Himalayas of South Africa.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:54 pm
When did they move the Himalayas to South Africa. Never-mind!!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 03:19 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

KingReef, the only problem I see with that is that butter has a low smoke point and a good steak needs to be pan fried at a high heat.

That's why the Indians use ghee.

Quote:
Ghee is an ideal fat for deep frying because its smoke point (where its molecules begin to break down) is 250 °C (482 °F), which is well above typical cooking temperatures of around 200 °C (392 °F) and above that of most vegetable oils.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 06:35 am
@glitterbag,
It was a joke at the expense of the company packaging the pink salt.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 06:40 am
@Setanta,
Those are always the best jokes, the ones that have to be explained.
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 06:47 am
@izzythepush,
WHat do you mean?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 06:54 am
Yeah, that ruins a joke, but I am not responsible for the inability of others to recognize ironic humor.
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 07:11 am
By the way, ghee, which is known in the West as drawn butter, has a higher smoke point because the milk protein solids have been removed. Restaurant suppliers sell little pans for use in drawing butter. You can do it a home, if you;re adroit, by heating butter in a light-weight skillet, and pouring off the oil, while keeping the milk solids in the pan (a butter knife works well for this).

Once, Lord Ellpus remarked that rape seed oil is superior to olive oil because it has a much higher smoke point. I don't know if you can get rape see oil in the U.S.
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 07:38 am
@Setanta,
I use a lot of avocado oil. It has a high smoke point and is readily available. I really love it.

I’ve given up on using olive oil for cooking, and use it now to dress foods.

When pan frying a steak, I unusually first fry onions and mushrooms together in avocado oil, then add in butter toward the end to flavor it. Then I use the same pan for the meat, since the pan is good and hot, and has a flavors of the other stuff in it.
KingReef

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 07:42 am
@farmerman,
I was asked to use some green onions on coals, once. It did transfer the taste onto the meat. I don't think people realize that the store bought green onions are all the same size and small because that is how they pick them from the field. They get much bigger in the garden.

I have lemon verbena, common and spearmint, lemon and lime trees, dill, and maybe a few others. Nothing really exotic, but we have the ability to get a little fancy if we wanted to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 07:49 am
@chai2,
Cool . . . I didn't know about the avocado oil. I love just about anything avocado. It has the additional virtue of being high in potassium, and old guys like me get leg cramps at night if they neglect their potassium and calcium.