Is consciousness explicable by "science".

kuvasz

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:15 pm
fresco wrote:
twyvel is correct.
I am not equating "consciousness" with "brain", since the first is "process" and the second is "structure".( I should not perhaps have used "dynamic structure" above.....maybe "schema"instead)

JLN, The systems approach may question whether we can distinguish between awareness and consciousness. It seems to me that what we call intentional looking or focusing can be equated to a bifurcation or "organizational shift" which has been "forced" (as in standing waves) as a result of two or more reinforcing "sub-cycles". In other words if we can visualise a sub-cycle as one that can "resonate" or be "tuned to" one level of external energy then the "organizational shift" is to a state attuned to a "more complex" input.
(Note there are now attempts at objective indices of "complexity").

The word "forced" above impinges on the intent/free will issue. It does not imply a mechanical or causal directive in a particular direction. The shift to a "higher level" implies no prediction of what that level may be, only that "lower level tensions" are transcended.
[/b] Our "feelings" of actively coming to a decision could be illusory !

Sounds like quite a Flatlandish statement.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 04:44 pm
kuvasz,

The systems approach may well be flatlandish with one principle foundation...the definition of "order".

Much is made of the spontaneous occurence of "dissipative structures" in dynamic processes far from equilibrium. These structures (such as the hexagonal lattice observed in convection currents in a themally pumped liquid) are deemed to be the probable precursors of "life". the question remains as to "who" observes these "structures" other than an external "consciousness".

The claim, as mentioned above is that objective indices of "order and complexity" are available(for example in terms of topological descriptions of the phase space for the dynamic solution set ) but even the "life-like" forms (mandelbrot) that can be so described still need a "consciousness" to recognize such similarities.

So the question I ask myself is whether such a consciousness is indeed of a higher "dimensionality" than its objects of observation or whether it is merely of a higher "order" but essentially of the same nature as the processes it describes (second order cybernetics).

The esoteric influences on me would favour the flatland accusation, but the fact that Capra himself starts from a taoist holistic position creates a dilemma.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
Quote:
fresco wrote:
According to this view it not "consciousness" that is a priori to "brain", it is "life".

Imagine life without consciousness. It would be like nothing, and not the nothing that observes in nondualism. Not the nothing or emptiness that is consciousness, that is awake (different kinds of nothing,…..go figure).

Absent consciousness as a nothingness or emptiness that is awake, there would be no known existence, which is equivalent to no existence at all, unless it affects something else where consciousness is.

I don't pretend to understand everything you write fresco, but this does sound like some form of material dualism.

Have you devolved to the hither shore? Very Happy

Quote:
Much is made of the spontaneous occurence of "dissipative structures" in dynamic processes far from equilibrium. These structures (such as the hexagonal lattice observed in convection currents in a themally pumped liquid) are deemed to be the probable precursors of "life". the question remains as to "who" observes these "structures" other than an external "consciousness".

It's so wonderful that this problem exists......But then, it has to.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 04:09 pm
twyvel,

The problem is mine, not Capra's. He would argue along the lines that what we are doing hereis some type of co-operative dancing (or "structural coupling) with words like "consciousness" playing the part of dance moves. In fact he stresses the "con" root (together) of consciousness to underline it as a social phenomenon.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:28 pm
Fresco, I cannot keep up with you. The great list of ultra-provocative concepts you throw out slow me down considerably. But I'm glad to have the stimulation they confer.
If I had to choose between
"whether such a consciousness is indeed of a higher "dimensionality" than its objects of observation or whether it is merely of a higher "order" but essentially of the same nature as the processes it describes (second order cybernetics)" I would choose the latter. I see consciousness in the Cosmos as a type of Self-consciousness. It seems to me (and I cannot do more than intuit and profess) that the great achievement of nature is consciousness. It is as if the Universe seeks to be Self-aware, and the goal of human mystics is to assist in that effort.
Human beings have turned their world into a grand and dynamic symbolical schema. We cannot survive without the cultural systems that render the world symbolically manageable. We cannot interact except through the medium of symbols.
Yet the mystic who also shares in the symbolization of his society's world, seeks to transcend that necessarily pragmatic cultural enterprise and "de-symbolize" the world, in order to see it more as it is. To appreciate its "suchness", as Taoists and Zennists put it. Like the purely aesthetic experience in art, mystical consciousness is disinterested. It sees for its own sake, not for instrumental and extrinsic ends.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:04 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Fresco, I cannot keep up with you. The great list of ultra-provocative concepts you throw out slow me down considerably. But I'm glad to have the stimulation they confer.
If I had to choose between
"whether such a consciousness is indeed of a higher "dimensionality" than its objects of observation or whether it is merely of a higher "order" but essentially of the same nature as the processes it describes (second order cybernetics)" I would choose the latter. I see consciousness in the Cosmos as a type of Self-consciousness. It seems to me (and I cannot do more than intuit and profess) that the great achievement of nature is consciousness. It is as if the Universe seeks to be Self-aware, and the goal of human mystics is to assist in that effort.[/b]
Human beings have turned their world into a grand and dynamic symbolical schema. We cannot survive without the cultural systems that render the world symbolically manageable. We cannot interact except through the medium of symbols.
Yet the mystic who also shares in the symbolization of his society's world, seeks to transcend that necessarily pragmatic cultural enterprise and "de-symbolize" the world, in order to see it more as it is. To appreciate its "suchness", as Taoists and Zennists put it. Like the purely aesthetic experience in art, mystical consciousness is disinterested. It sees for its own sake, not for instrumental and extrinsic ends.

We are the Eyes of the World.

consciousness is the transcendent perceiving in time and space the actuality of a singularity, Itself. But one precedes the other in our perceptions.

as I said we are the eyes of the world, but as i asked of my old color science professor, what colors lie beyond the visible spectrum? and what lies beyond consciousness? since we have moved from energy and sub atomic particles to atoms, to molecules, to life, to consciousness, why would one think that another quantum leap is impossible?

as to why i think consciousness is a higher order than the purely material is that consciousness can be defined adequately only by attributes found at that level tself and not by lower orders.

one might be able to create consciousness by manipulating electical impulses on a mainframe computer someday, but such consciousness can no more be defined as simple electrical impulses than music can be defined as simple variations in sonic vibrations.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:52 pm
Kuvasz, I agree with you that "consciousness can no more be defined as simple electrical impulses than music can be defined as simple variations in sonic vibrations". Indeed, it cannot be reduced to anything; it is in that sense pure and absolute, and as Tywvel suggests vast and empty. It is a great jewel to be appreciated for itself.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:33 pm
JLNobody you wrote:

Quote:
It seems to me (and I cannot do more than intuit and profess) that the great achievement of nature is consciousness.

Or reverse; the great achievement of Consciousness is nature,…the Kosmos as manifest Consciousness. The source being the Consciousness that we are.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:43 pm
kuvasz wrote:

Quote:
one might be able to create consciousness by manipulating electical impulses on a mainframe computer someday, but such consciousness can no more be defined as simple electrical impulses than music can be defined as simple variations in sonic vibrations.

From my perspective, that's like saying a dreamt character can create that which is manifesting it into apparent existence.

The character and the entire show, including electrical impulses, are already all made of the same stuff…...so to speak

Or,…… If all there is is Consciousness……
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:54 pm
fresco

Quote:
The problem is mine, not Capra's.

What is the problem?…….dare I ask.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
kuvasz & JLN,

Ironically the attempt at the "de-mystification of consciousness" which I report here is largely based on the work of Maturana, a researcher in color vision !

I can only say that when a taoist like Capra is prepared to discuss consciousness in "scientific terms", we nondualists need to take him seriously.
Irrespective of my unease at his ecological stance I can only find minor details which to take issue, and I have to examine my own vested interests in cosmic consciousness to do so. He certainly embraces "interactivity" and "observer-observed".He rejects reductionists such as Dennett and even provides the meta-language of mathematics as possible back-up for concepts of "order" and "pattern". He neatly sidesteps problems of ineffability by defining language in terms of behaviour co-ordination within social organisms.

The question I proposed initially depends of course on the definition of "science" , and I think what has taken place between us is concerned with the origins of that definition as "natural philosophy".
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 03:04 pm
fresco wrote:
kuvasz & JLN,

Ironically the attempt at the "de-mystification of consciousness" which I report here is largely based on the work of Maturana, a researcher in color vision !

I can only say that when a taoist like Capra is prepared to discuss consciousness in "scientific terms", we nondualists need to take him seriously.
Irrespective of my unease at his ecological stance I can only find minor details which to take issue, and I have to examine my own vested interests in cosmic consciousness to do so. He certainly embraces "interactivity" and "observer-observed".He rejects reductionists such as Dennett and even provides the meta-language of mathematics as possible back-up for concepts of "order" and "pattern". He neatly sidesteps problems of ineffability by defining language in terms of behaviour co-ordination within social organisms.

The question I proposed initially depends of course on the definition of "science" , and I think what has taken place between us is concerned with the origins of that definition as "natural philosophy".

naturally, since vision is the primary sense organ humans use and not just for suriviving, but also in language. see my point?

about 150,000 - 250,000 years ago, homo sapiens underwent a mutation that produced the ablity to see colors. there is no reason to believe that such a mutation will not happen again and allow our mutant descendents to come up with new names of uber-violets or reds, and as much likely our mental capacities could unfold in a like manner to reveal a greater vision of the creation we enjoy now.

i take richard feynman's view; humanity is new, we have a lot more to do and we have just begun our journey.

there's lots more to follow, just exhault in being mud that could get to think.

as to science defined, i guess we can say more clearly what it isn't able to define. that which can not be measured, weighed, put in your pocket or held in your hand; outside of 4 dimensions.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
kuvasz.

I do not disagree with your comments but if you get a chance to read Maturanas references on color perception, or Capras claim for a paradigm shift in science from the quantitative to the qualitative, you may like me be tempted to rethink "thinking" itself.
0 Replies