Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy & the Terri Schiavo case

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:27 pm
Has anyone else noticed the similarity between classic Munchausen by Proxy behavior and the Schindler family's behavior? I'm beginning to wonder if the family is more obsessed about the attention they are getting than their concern for the welfare of the daughter?

BBB

Munchausen Syndrome and
Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP)
Factitious disorder, factitious disorder by proxy

Munchausen Syndrome is an attention-seeking personality disorder which is more common than statistics suggest. Munchausen Syndrome, named after a German soldier renowned for exaggerated tales, is a predominantly female disorder in which an emotionally immature person with narcissistic tendencies, low self-esteem and a fragile ego has an overwhelming need to draw attention to herself and to be the centre of attention.

In Munchausen Syndrome, this is achieved by capitalising on, exploiting, exaggerating or feigning illness or injury or personal misfortune. The opportunities for being centre of attention can be increased if feigning victimhood through alleged victimisation, isolation, exclusion or persecution is added to the equation; the Munchausen person can then depict another person (often a family member) as a victimiser or persecutor and herself as the victim. Presenting herself as a false victim is also a Munchausen trait.

In Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP), occasions for being centre of attention are created by deliberately causing illness, injury or harm to others to provide opportunities for rescue and care. Often the MSBP sufferer will work as a nurse, perhaps in a hospital ward for sick children (especially very young babies) or in a home for elderly persons, or with severely handicapped people, or as a care giver. The common thread is a victim whose is vulnerable, whose verbal skills or emotional state or mental condition prevents them from explaining what the MSBP person is doing to them and whose hold on life may already be precarious. Even if the victim survives, they cannot or will not be a witness. Because death amongst these groups occurs normally and is therefore not unusual or unexpected, her activities in causing death may escape notice for years.

Few people ask questions, for how many people would dare to think that this wonderful, kind, caring, compassionate person who has devoted her life to helping others is, in reality, a murderer? Or, given the repeat nature of the crime, a serial killer? How many people suspected that Beverley Allitt, that kind, comparing, compassionate nurse who cared for sick babies at Grantham Hospital was, in reality, killing them, one by one? Her behaviour merited the label of Angel of Death. How many people suspected that the kind, avuncular doctor who eased his elderly female patients' suffering with morphine was, in reality, Britain's most prolific serial killer? Manchester GP Harold Shipman was sentenced to life in prison for his killings. Shipman committed suicide in January 2004. Shipman is not a Munchausen case but the circumstances of his murderous actions are similar to MSBP.

Harm can be inflicted by any means which leaves little or no forensic evidence, such as restricting breathing by holding a hand over the mouth, fingers over the nostrils, lying on top of the baby, smothering, placing plastic or cling film over the person's face, withholding food, withholding medicine or over-medicating or medicating when unnecessary, or by delaying calling for medical assistance when an emergency arises. When the victim reacts with a fit, breathing difficulties, collapse etc, the MSBP sufferer can - after ensuring the condition is sufficiently life-threatening - rush to the rescue and later be hailed as a hero for being such a wonderful, kind, caring, compassionate person for having saved this person's life.

The MSBP sufferer is often a mother who deliberately harms her child with the intention of gaining the attention of the medical services. She gains gratification from being in the presence of doctors, nurses and medical personnel and revels in the attention that a concerned mother inevitably attracts in these surroundings. It appears that the intent is to induce illness and injury, rather than commit murder, for the death of the child would take away the object which she repeatedly manipulates for her gratification. Death may also arouse suspicions to the point of investigation. However, the injury or illness must be severe enough to warrant the need for medical intervention; if, as often happens, she miscalculates and the child dies, then the sympathy for a grieving mother becomes another opportune vehicle for gaining attention. The MSBP nurse can wallow in the attention and the gratitude of bereaved parents for the kindness she showed during their baby's short life. However, the MSBP nurse cares nothing (except for herself) for she has an endless supply of potential victims.

The MSBP mother or nurse also knows that if family members or colleagues have suspicions, they are unlikely to voice them for fear of being wrong. No-one wants to make an accusation or report their suspicions to the authorities; if they are wrong, it could mean a libel action or ostracism from the family or workplace. If the MSBP person finds out that an allegation has been made, and she can guess who has made the allegation, this is deemed persecution and victimisation and becomes another, even bigger, opportunity for being the centre of attention. When this happens within the family, it's an opportunity to turn the whole family against the person making the accusation - or against anyone the MSBP sufferer can label as likely to have made the suggestion. Munchausen sufferers, as with most attention seekers, are always plausible and convincing.

It's been estimated that as many as one in five cot deaths is really a murder resulting from a mother with Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy. The MSBP mother (who becomes a serial killer) knows that fear [by the police or investigating authorities] of accusing the wrong person is usually enough to evade accountability and prosecution. No-one is going to challenge a grieving mother, and the father may be in ignorance of what has really happened and thus steadfastly supporting his partner. Evidence is minimal and the cause of death is put down as cot death (also known as Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or SIDS), choking, breathing difficulties or some other plausible reason. However, MSBP is an ongoing condition and it is the repeated deaths from ambiguous or unidentified causes which arouse suspicion. There's a saying in social services: one [death] is cot death, two is suspicious, three is Munchausen. But who is going to take the risk of wrongly accusing a bereaved mother or a caring nurse?

If questioning does take place, the Munchausen mother is likely to give the most convincing performance of innocence whilst the innocent mother is likely to be less convincing due to a combination of grief, sadness, loss, disbelief, bewilderment, anger and guilt, all of which are heightened by trauma.

Recent court cases have demonstrated that the number of infant deaths alone is not grounds for conviction, and that when genetic factors are taken into account, the odds are statistically higher that a family who has suffered genuine cot death is more likely to suffer further cot deaths. Professor Sir Roy Meadow, who has made a career acting as expert witness in cases of mothers accused of murdering their children, has recently been shown to have used flawed data (which he has inexplicably shredded) and been backed up by bad science and professional negligence to obtain convictions. Recent research suggests that up to 80% of repeat cot deaths in the same family are not suspicious. It's likely that the best indicator of guilt is behaviour profile and history of attention-seeking behaviour including manipulation and deception, at which Munchausen cases excel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,614 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:53 pm
BBB- In the first place, the Schindler's had nothing to do with Terri's condition. So it is not Munchausen by proxy, by a long shot.

I am of two minds. On one hand I think that the Schindler's are in total denial of the severity of their daughter's condition. I happen to have a 13 year old relative who is not in a persistent vegetative state, but are in what people are calling a minimally conscious state. She is tube fed. She is blind, not because of any problem with her eyes, but because there is no neural connection between the eyes and the brain.

Her parents are devoutly religious. Her mother has told me, on numerous occasions, that she believes that God will send a "miracle". I don't want to sound unkind, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

On the other hand, it is quite possible that the Schindlers are reacting to political pressures. They love their daughter. They want to keep her alive, although she is nothing more than a shell. There are political forces in this country who, for whom the Schaivo case is a boon. It must be very seductive to a grieving mother who is told, that she is doing the right thing by exploring every channel, and is encouraged to persist in her quest, in order to keep her daughter alive.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:22 pm
I've noted that Teri's troubles come from a history of anorexia. Many anorexics feel dominated and overwhelmed by their parents.

I don't think this case is Munchausen's Syndrome. Mama did not directly cause the coma. I do think that Mama is getting a great deal of enjoyment from ther 15 minutes of reflected fame.

Personally if I had to choose between Medical Authority and A Mother's Insightful Feelings after a fifteen year coma, I'd pick Medical Authority every time.

I bet the Federal Appeals Court is praying for a bolt of lightning to hit the nursing home--perhaps while the extended family is standing around the bedside.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:28 pm
BBB, I understand exactly what you mean. Remember Munchausen by proxy is different from the Munchausen syndrome. In the first case, violence is an attempt to gain sympathy as some women do who literally kill their children. The second is the attempt to gain sympathy by lying, and perpetuating a situation.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:36 pm
Noddy wrote:
I've noted that Teri's troubles come from a history of anorexia. Many anorexics feel dominated and overwhelmed by their parents.

Funny that you should mention that, Noddy. Just a few minutes ago I was reading an article from Great Britain, and a sentence in the article struck me as being peculiar. (I have highlighted it in the quote.)

Quote:
After high school, Michael enrolled in nearby Bucks County Community College. It was there, in a sociology class, that he met Theresa Marie Schindler.

They were engaged just five months later and married in November 1984. After a year and a half, the couple moved to Florida for Terri's work at an insurance company, and her parents followed them three months later. Michael Schiavo got work managing a restaurant.

Wonder why? Rolling Eyes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4889917,00.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:52 pm
Phoenix and Noddy
Phoenix and Noddy, I didn't reference Munchausen by Proxy because I thought Terri's family had caused her illness that resulted her heart attack and brain damage. I referenced it because of the similarity to the obvious attention getting compulsion in this situation as in Munchausen by Proxy.

BBB
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
Rolling Eyes Well, hello, Phoenix, Noddy, and BBB. I thought that I had said something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:48 pm
Letty--

Hi.

BBB--

I thought Phoenix and I were discussing the attention-seeking aspect of
Munchausen's.

Sorry, the attention-demanding aspect. Didn't mean to be off topic.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:52 pm
Letty
Letty wrote:
BBB, I understand exactly what you mean. Remember Munchausen by proxy is different from the Munchausen syndrome. In the first case, violence is an attempt to gain sympathy as some women do who literally kill their children. The second is the attempt to gain sympathy by lying, and perpetuating a situation.

Letty, you did get my point. You're so smart, as always.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:53 pm
Well, all. I posted this very consideration waaaayyyyy back on A2K. Just wondering if any of you read my post, that's all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:58 pm
BBB, I have read the book The Devil's Dance. It has nothing to do with intelligence, but thanks anyway, honey.

One more thing. Anorexia simply means not eating. Anorexia nervosa is a psychological situation.

Okay, I'll stop now. I think so much of all of you here, I just wanted to be certain that something was not amiss.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:59 pm
Letty
Letty, I didn't know about your post; give us a link so we can read it.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:01 pm
BBB- I understand what you are driving at. I have no way of knowing, but if Mr. and Mrs. Schindler are histrionic people, what is happening is high drama equal to the best of grand opera.

Most people go through their personal tragedies with their families and close friends. The Schindlers have had the entire world, including the Pope, no less, talking about them for months. They have even taken Michael Jackson off the front page.

For some people, that can be pretty heady stuff!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
Phoenix
Phoenix, that's what I thought, too. It's sad that the Right to Life movement are exploiting the family to reinforce their agenda.

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
Letty wrote:
Rolling Eyes Well, hello, Phoenix, Noddy, and BBB. I thought that I had said something.

Of course you did. I am just so inundated by "stuff" lately, that I did not address your post. Sorry! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:09 pm
No, prob, gals. Phoenix, I truly understand your situation. Same as mine.

I'll see you wonderful ladies tomorrow, then.

Reyn, has the most fantastic collage. When you get a moment, check it out.

Big hugs to all.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:58 am
BBB
Now the Schindler family has to go through withdrawal from all the attention they've been getting.

I wonder how long the Right to Life groups will remain interested in them now that their poster woman has died. They will have to find another to replace her. I pity the families of their targets.

BBB
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:12 am
BBB, dead on, my friend. Now the groupies will have to find another cause to keep them in the limelight.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:37 pm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:26 pm
Schiavo case timeline
For the facts and timeline in the Schiavo case without all the innuendo and spin:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48601&highlight=
0 Replies