Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:48 am
Another Sheldrake Goodie:

http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/Telepathy/Nolan_abs.html

Quote:


ABSTRACT:

The ability of people to guess who is calling on the telephone has recently been tested experimentally in more than 850 trials. The results were positive and hugely significant statistically. Participants had four potential callers in distant locations. At the beginning of each trial, remote from the participant, the experimenter randomly selected one of the callers by the throw of a die, and asked the chosen caller to ring the participant. When the phone rang, the participant guessed who the caller was before picking up the receiver.

By chance, about 25% of the guesses would have been correct. In fact, on average 42% were correct. The present experiment was an attempt to replicate previous tests, and was filmed for television. The participant and her callers were all sisters, formerly members of the Nolan Sisters band, popular in Britain in the 1980s. We conducted 12 trials in which the participant and her callers were 1 km apart. Six out of 12 guesses (50%) were correct. The results were significant at the p=0.05 level.


Again the obvious questions: How does something like that "evolve"?


http://www.kcfs.org/images/Neanderthal.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,273 • Replies: 27
No top replies

 
squinney
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:54 am
Um, I think it's called "Caller ID."
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:04 pm
How does something like that evolve? You don't think communication without language is next logical evolutionary step?
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
How does something like that evolve? You don't think communication without language is next logical evolutionary step?



I don't think anybody could even explain how that WORKS, much less how it could evolve.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
Of course, that's true. Nobody knows how it works, so nobody knows how or if it could have anything to do with evolution.
0 Replies
 
Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:35 pm
My mom and I do that all the time....we know when it is the other calling. However, that could have more to do with mother-daughter bond than anything. I hear it's a pretty strong tie.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:41 pm
Sheldrake will be appearing on the Art Bell show coming from parrumph Nevada.
As Sheldrake is called, "that lovable old crackpot"
0 Replies
 
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:43 pm
And this supposed phenomena put evolution in question how?

This isn't even a strawman, it's barely a straw.

Rap
0 Replies
 
Waldo2
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
...
Gunga,

Count me among the converted. Your logic and examples have finally convinced me to come to your way of thinking.

Thanks ever so much. I'll not forget you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:22 pm
HAHAHAHAHAHA
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:24 pm
Oh sorry, it's just so funny the lengths some will go to disprove evolution...as if that makes their "invisible man in the clouds" theory any more probable.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:40 pm
kickycan wrote:
Oh sorry, it's just so funny the lengths some will go to disprove evolution...as if that makes their "invisible man in the clouds" theory any more probable.



You sound like you must be the man with the answers...

How do paranormal things work and how do they evolve?
0 Replies
 
Bi-Polar Bear
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:44 pm
Forgive me if I'm mistaken Gunga but my impression is that you are a Christian man.

Therefore it should be obvious to you that paranormal things are the result of demon possession or some related work of Satan.

What's to debate?
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
First prove your invisible man theory to me and then we'll talk, Gunga.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:03 pm
Gungasnake,

Telepathy, Abduction by Space aliens, Ghosts and Creationism are all examples of psuedo science. I am surprised you believe in more than one of these.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:34 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Forgive me if I'm mistaken Gunga but my impression is that you are a Christian man.

Therefore it should be obvious to you that paranormal things are the result of demon possession or some related work of Satan.



I'll start believing in demons the day I ever see one. I was born in 1946 and I haven't seen one in that much time.

I DO believe that paranormal things are the normal modus operendi of the spirit world.

I suspect the ressurection of Christ was of such nature, that is, was accomplished by such means.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Gungasnake,

Telepathy, Abduction by Space aliens, Ghosts and Creationism are all examples of psuedo science. I am surprised you believe in more than one of these.



You're basically calling the modern science of statistics a pseudoscience. You might want to go back to that original item I posted on this thread and read it again.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:06 pm
No I am not calling statistics a pseudoscience. Sure if a reproducible, well designed study achieved this result it would be scientifically significant.

I am saying the article is a fake. It is pure hogwash, a lie to swindle the gullible and and entertain the ignorant. I doubt this study even happened.

The fact that you choose to trust the Society for Psychical Research over the National Science Foundation says tons.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:21 pm
WHO JUST CALLED?

Kreskin-he wants his act back.

If I were gungs and wanted to retain a teeniest bit of credibility, I would trash these posts by editing them all and just repeating "may God have mercy on you all" and thatll make your poat look not so ridiculous and funny. To make the kickster laugh, you hadda be out-f*in-rageous. Youve stepped over the line of any scientific merit and into the world of "autocorrelation"
Ruperts got an annelid wigglin in his brain. Next time hes on the "coast to coast" show, Im going to have to listen. You know, of course that Ruperts been on that show at least 4 times in 2004 according to the program guide.
Youre getting rather predictABLE, WHENEVER YOU POST SOMETHING, i LOOK AT THE COAST TO COAST PROGRAM GUIDE AND i OFTEN FIND YOUR STUFF THERE. Not exactly a scientific journal.
PS, even Rupert addresses evolution as a mechanism of development in populations. He just wants to add his component5 of Psychic stuff. Its a big tent, I dont know how or whether psychic powers add anything to overall "fitness" (except maybe to a Texas Holdem player), but , at least hes trying to collect some evidence.
0 Replies
 
Bi-Polar Bear
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:23 pm
gungasnake wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Forgive me if I'm mistaken Gunga but my impression is that you are a Christian man.

Therefore it should be obvious to you that paranormal things are the result of demon possession or some related work of Satan.



I'll start believing in demons the day I ever see one. I was born in 1946 and I haven't seen one in that much time.

I DO believe that paranormal things are the normal modus operendi of the spirit world.

I suspect the ressurection of Christ was of such nature, that is, was accomplished by such means.


Oh so you're one of those I'll believe it when I see it guys? How many times have you seen Jesus and once and for all is He black or white.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Evolution 101 - Discussion by gungasnake
Typing Equations on a PC - Discussion by Brandon9000
The Future of Artificial Intelligence - Discussion by Brandon9000
The well known Mind vs Brain. - Discussion by crayon851
Scientists Offer Proof of 'Dark Matter' - Discussion by oralloy
Blue Saturn - Discussion by oralloy
Bald Eagle-DDT Myth Still Flying High - Discussion by gungasnake
DDT: A Weapon of Mass Survival - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Who Just Called?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/01/2021 at 11:43:42