Agnostics:come in to hide from the atheists and believers!

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:01 am
Just thought that this room need a little place where sweet, good natured agnostics could come to avoid getting caught in the crossfire between the atheistic and the religious.

It's not fence sitting, it's an appropriate reaction to the uncertainty of existence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,763 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Odd Socks

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:10 am
Come on, don't fence sit. You have to have an opinion! YOU DO!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:12 am
What about us fiesty, pugnatious, opinionated, assertive agnostic types?
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:17 am
You're welcome too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:19 am
Oops! Sorry, don't get up. Just taking a peek. :-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:26 am
C'mon in and rest a spell. Its peaceful here for the moment Mr. Green
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:29 am
Ok, I'm not religious, but I believe.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:59 am
I'm in here too...I'm always in trouble on the religeous threads. I have decided to avoid them now. Sometimes it's hard to (be a woman) sit on the fence...arse splinters!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:06 am
Just to touch briefly on the actual topic for a moment, I think the most bothersome of the fringies are the extreme "believers" - they're more organized, and they've got lots more paper to throw around.

Haven't voted yet - still thinkin' on that.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:17 am
If I had to choose...it would be The Believers (cool name for a group). All that fire and brimstone, all the homophobia, all the 'unchristian' attitudes to others whilst biblethumping. They really get me down.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
To call someone a nut for being religious or atheist, and for no other reason, is nuts.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:09 am
Oh my!!! I can relax at last!!!!
Settleeeeeee.....
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:13 am
edgarblythe wrote:
To call someone a nut for being religious or atheist, and for no other reason, is nuts.

I have told you before that you're the best, right?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
I'm with edgar ... prolly why I haven't voted the poll yet - and likely won't.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:07 am
I look at it this way. We're all "agnostic" when it comes to the objective, scientific status of the existence of God(s). You don't have to be a theologian or atheist scholar to know the facts do not allow an "objective" conclusion. If they did, we wouldn't have the debate at all.

But where does that leave us? The theist/atheist debate is one of belief and opinion.

Generally speaking, if we define theism as the belief in a God(s), agnosticism is an entirely atheistic view. One could even argue agnosticism was a wholly atheistic-secular movement toward removing the stigma attached to atheism; "atheism-light."

If one has a belief in God(s), no matter how slight or personal, one is a theist. If one does not, one is an atheist. The agnostic is one who claims to not have a belief or opinion. Sorry, but that is indeed "fence-sitting."
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:04 pm
What exactly is fence sitting?

If I'm too lazy to think religion through and side with either group, is that fence-sitting?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
Odd Socks wrote:
Come on, don't fence sit. You have to have an opinion! YOU DO!

I think it is hilarious that an Agnostic would say not to fence sit. Laughing
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:16 pm
Agnosticism is recognizing that you don't know. Or that's what I was taught in school. But we should all know that by now.......those of us who have had the fun of conversing with Frank, that is.

However, in my not knowing, I have a strong suspicion.....well, more than a suspicion.........well, since I find a lot to trust in science, I don't think there probably is a God. I think there's as much chance there's a God as the possibility that we're all living on a particle of dust in the trail of a universe size giant walking down a dirt road.

I don't care for fanatics of any type. But of course, fanaticism is a subjective measure. It's the evangelicals I don't like. Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:53 pm
I find it sorta amusin' that agnosticism is be considered "Fence Sitting" - don't see it that way at all, myself. I think the arrogant absolutism that leads theists and atheists alike to declare it such flatly rejectin' the opposin' stance reveals a core flaw in either belief system. The way I look at it, theists and atheists alike are coppin' out - takin' an easy answer found to be personally satisfyin', as opposed to admittin' the matter is unresolved. Its far nore confortin' to declare a difficult question answered and drop the issue than to continue workin' on the question.

Now, whether or not there is a God or gods, I happen to think the entire concept of RELIGION is bunk. The simple fact they come and go, coupled with the bewilderin' multiplicity of mutually exclusive, frequently bitterly antagonistic options has me convinced there's nothin' to any of 'em. Deity may be an invention of humankind. Religion certainly is.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
Quote:
Now, whether or not there is a God or gods, I happen to think the entire concept of RELIGION is bunk. The simple favt they come and go, coupled with the bewilderin' multiplicity of mutually exclusive, frequently bitterly antagonistic options has me convinced there's nothin' to any of 'em.

Thanks for putting in better than I could.

(from an agnostic who'd probably be labeled an atheist by most and so who will politely bow out...)
0 Replies