The Catholic Church and Terri Schiavo

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:38 am
This whole issue is retarded. Like gay marriage, the only people arguing against it(pulling the tube) are people who live their lives by what a book written thousands of years ago says. Being religious is fine, but sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the whole picture.

I wouldn't describe pulling the tube as taking away a "life." She's not living, she's a vegetable that's not going to get any better. She has no clue what's going on around her. Her family will be better off once it's done with. I don't think I know anyone who would want to "live" like that and wouldn't rather have the plug pulled.

It's sad the media is putting so much focus on this case.
0 Replies

Midwest GP

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
If Terry Schiavo is responsive as her parents and others have said, feeding her is NOT "aggressive medical treatment" that would be "disproportionate to any expected results." All of us would die without food and water. Terry Schiavo can breathe on her own just like you and me. I agree with you that it is disconcerting to envision a society where nobody is allowed to die; but kept alive by techology no matter what. I just disagree that this is the case with Terry Schiavo. There is a big difference between starving a human being to death and allowing somebody to experience the death process as their body shuts down.
0 Replies