is "The Shroud of Turin" for real?

Setanta

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 09:26 pm
You have pointed nothing out. All you have done is offer more implausible reasons to believe something which justifiably strains credulity. I don't care if you want to believe in a magic sky daddy, but I don't. I also don't believe any of the bullsh*t you offer here. You don't even get a "nice try" for that crapola.
oralloy

Tue 16 Oct, 2018 03:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You have pointed nothing out.
That's not true. I've pointed out that the image on the Shroud is consistent with an image produced by photographic processes. Specifically, in both cases the image darkens the fabric without leaving any pigments behind.

I've pointed out that that all other proposed methods of producing the image, produce incompatible results. Specifically, all attempts to recreate the image with various applications of dies and stains leave pigments behind, which is incompatible with the pigment-free image on the Shroud.

On the other hand, attempts to recreate the image by letting it soak in from an actual rotting corpse can result in pigment-free stains, but those stains do not carry any sort of detailed image. And as Coluber pointed out, even if it were possible for a rotting corpse to transfer a detailed image, that image would be wrapped around the head, not facing it directly.

I've also pointed out that even if someone in 1300 were inclined to produce artwork that reversed light and dark in resemblance to a photographic negative, it is highly improbable that this effort would be able to produce such a detailed positive image when people used photography to reverse it some five centuries later.

Setanta wrote:
All you have done is offer more implausible reasons to believe something which justifiably strains credulity.
The fact that the results come from scientists who have studied the Shroud makes them credible.

Setanta wrote:
I don't care if you want to believe in a magic sky daddy, but I don't.
That would be an interesting discussion too, but it's a bit off topic from questions of science and history.

I remember years ago you posted a challenge to Agnosticism that I thought would be fun to respond to, but it appeared to me like an Agnostic was making an unwelcome intrusion into a thread where Atheists just wanted to talk among themselves. I decided that jumping in would just further the unwelcome intrusion.

Setanta wrote:
I also don't believe any of the bullsh*t you offer here.
You can refuse to believe science if you like, but it really isn't BS.

Setanta wrote:
You don't even get a "nice try" for that crapola.
I get the satisfaction of knowing that I have once again ensured that facts and reality have a voice on the internet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 16 Oct, 2018 07:18 pm
Ah-hahahahahahahahahaha . . .

You crack me up. You can't beat this place for free entertainment, and the unintentional humor is the best.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:04 pm
Another thread concluded where no one could challenge any of the facts that I posted.
0 Replies