WHY DO PEOPLE TRY TO FORCE THEIR RELIGION ON OTHERS??

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:47 am
I was just wondering why people say that someone is wrong if they don't practice the same religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 14,706 • Replies: 300
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:39 am
Because reality is consensual. The more people who agree with your reality the sounder base your reality is on. Anyone with a different belief system is white-anting your reality. Doubt leads to fear. Certainty is more comfortable, much less mentally taxing.

This is probably a major reason why minorities ghettoize themselves. Surrounding yourself with the like-minded is very reassuring if you feel threatened and outnumbered.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:43 am
Re: WHY DO PEOPLE TRY TO FORCE THEIR RELIGION ON OTHERS??
ben_dover wrote:
I was just wondering why people say that someone is wrong if they don't practice the same religion?

Hmmm....not sure what you mean. I don't recall hearing a lot of Catholics demanding that someone convert to Catholocism....Perhaps it would clarify matters if you gave an example.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:49 am
Ha, that's funny Brandon - what do you think catholic missions do?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:54 am
I think that hingehead has "hit the nail on the head". It is much easier to be in a group where everybody smiles, and nods in agreement, than to be out there, all alone, with your beliefs.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:54 am
All religion is evil.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:56 am
All the threads centering around the religious issues going on at centerburg hs are getting really really old.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:42 am
Many religious have a belief that they should be spreading the word of God. It is believed that you should (not push) but teach others about God so they can live a “Godly” life. Many people interpret this to an extreme and then push their teachings on others.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
Linkat- Agree. I also think that a lot of these folks are attempting to make "points" with their God!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
They're delusional. They believe their particular religion is the only true religion, and they want to save you from the fires of Hell.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:24 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
All religion is evil.

Says someone who put ME with Frank Aspisa in one bag. Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:23 am
Because as we have seen on some of the threads dealing with religion. People have been so thoroughly brain washed that they truly believe theirs is the only true religion.
That belief is what starts wars, massacres, expulsions, genocide and all the benefits mankind gets from religion

IMO religion is the evil let loose with the mythical opening Pandora's box.
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:41 am
Re: WHY DO PEOPLE TRY TO FORCE THEIR RELIGION ON OTHERS??
ben_dover wrote:

uh thats where the fanatics come in ... their code seems to be live like us or die?? cough muslim crazies Razz Arrow Idea
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 08:38 am
inner-peace wrote

Quote:
uh thats where the fanatics come in ... their code seems to be live like us or die?? cough muslim crazies

Suggest you take a quick look at the history of Christianity. You may find there is a parallel between it and the. "cough Muslim crazies." Embarrassed
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:09 am
There's strength in numbers. People who believe must also have some doubt. Greater numbers of like-minded believers reinforces your own belief and holds back doubt.

Also, some people have very strong mystical experiences that they want other people to experience. They may interpret these experiences in the context of their own religion's dogma, thus, reinforcing that dogma. They then want to "spread the message." This is similar to reccommending a movie or piece of music you fell in love with. The difference is that you don't go door to door telling people to see a movie.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:36 pm
Let's say you're with your tribe in the desert living on bugs and lizards, then one day you see a beautiful oasis...fruit, water, Martinis, etc....over the 54th hill to the east. You are quite certain it was real, although you didn't get close enough to bring back any proof. Would you try to tell your family and friends about it, or leave them there with the bugs and lizards?

I imagine this is how a missionary must see his duty.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:54 am
Of course when somebody says, ''I believe God wants me to be president.'' and he's not living in Iran, then you've got something to worry about.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:38 pm
I'm tired of you guys trying to indoctrinate me with your 'don't force your religion on others' dogma :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:14 pm
Ain't just religion.

Strong beliefs about how things are/oughta be seem to trigger a wild desire to proselytize, and, if unchecked, do harm to people who r4efuse to believe as we do.

Look at all we sad bastids in politics - just as a for instance - forever attempting to make those people who are just plain WRONG realize the error of their ways...

Edit: Heehee - just noticed the post above mine. That said it all so much better, in far fewer words!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ain't just religion.

and how about all those married people who think everyone else would be better off/happier if they were married too.

or people with kids.

or people with dogs.

or people with cats.

or people who prefer their mashed taters with skin on.

We're all out there campaigning that our way is the right way. I think they call it human nature.
0 Replies