When you die, you are just dead...

Waldo2

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:52 pm
Hi. I know that the thread title probably has a few of you just brimming to bludgeon me with bible verses, but I'm hoping to direct this discussion in a different manner.

For one thing, I just want you to suppose that the title is true, not to debate it for its own sake but to research religious vs. non-religious morality. When you die, there is nothing, nobody waiting. If this is contrary to your belief system, please suspend judgement for just a moment while I finish the question.

The question is simply this. Would anything about your lifestyle change if you knew that, upon death, you would simply cease to exist as a self-aware entity?

I'm not saying that there is or is not a God. I'm simply creating a scenario in which there is no afterlife, no eschatological continuation of your existence. You may be judged, but you'll never know it, because you are dead.

What are the moral ramifications of this supposition? Would you live a less moral life if you knew there was neither punishment nor reward awaiting you?

For those of you who believe very strongly that there is an afterlife, what types of decisions do you make that are at least somewhat based upon your belief in an after-death reality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:58 pm
I don't believe that there is anything after death. So I have nothing to think about. I just live my life the best way that I know how.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
There would not be one iota of difference from the way I would have lived my life. I do not need a religion to know right from wrong. Most I am sure do not.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:24 pm
I think about that alot. Not for religious reasons, just because I find myself worrying about things that in the big picture dont matter. I see alot of my family members doing that too. I dont push this thought on them, but I know for me , It has brought alot of peace. Things become more simple and i am able to focus on the immediate things that truly DO matter.
As for an extreme behavior change?
That I dont know how to answer. I dont know that there is anything I would do / not do with the definate knowledge of nothing after death....
I will think about this and if i can think of a diecent answer I will post it.
Good question Waldo.
0 Replies

Terminus

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:59 pm
I wish I knew what followed after death. It would be nice to know, so I don't have to fear it. Anyways, if I were to discover that there's wasn't really anything after life, then I would most likely wouldn't believe it. Then again, if I were to have the perfect proof, then I would stop living a life of goodness. I could be the ultimate badass, defying death until I'm old.

But I believe in an afterlife, and to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't be asurring to find out that our actions and the actions of those who wrong us isn't vindicated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:33 pm
I have never believed in anything after death. Therefore, I have no reason to modify my behavior.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:01 pm
I think after you die, you wake up in a chair with electrodes on your head and the guy unplugging you says, "see, I told ya... pretty wierd, huh?".

(But seriously, I don't expect to exist after I die. And there is nothing I would change about my life if I found out otherwise.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:17 pm
Consider the following little updated/improved proof of the existence of God...

You know that all of the various 'proofs' ; they used to use in the middle ages have pretty much fallen by the wayside, particularly the 'ontological' proof, you know, 'We perceive God to be that than which, nothing greater can be conceived...'; and all that.

My proof goes like this. You walk into a Home Depot store, and you walk over to the section where they sell propane barbeque grills. You know, these things:

http://www.belson.com/images/p30-1s.jpg

Right? Look around, and see if you can find one which operates itself with no human intervention at all. There aren't any, right? I mean, there aren't any which go out and find their own food, prepare it and cook it when the urge comes over them; they ALL require that a human put food on them, and then operate the controls to cook it, right? That at least implies the existence of people, right? I mean, who would make such a thing if there were no people to use it, right?

Similarly, since it is inconceivably that evolutionists and atheists should not burn in hell and since hell like the propane grill could not operate itself of its own volition, the devil has to exist to operate the thing, right? You know, the grand imperial master of atheists and evolutionists? And since the devil would create total evil in our world if operating in the absence of God and since the world is not totally, 100% evil and f**ked up, therefore also God has to exist, QED.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:18 pm
Life is without input to an afterlife. The ONLY thing that would enforce a counter response is a "belief" no matter how stupid, complex, sophisticated or profound. But while I live, I am what I am with expectation of "nothing" more.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:37 pm
gungasnake wrote:
My proof goes like this. You walk into a Home Depot store, and you walk over to the section where they sell propane barbeque grills. You know, these things:

http://www.belson.com/images/p30-1s.jpg

Right? Look around, and see if you can find one which operates itself with no human intervention at all. There aren't any, right? I mean, there aren't any which go out and find their own food, prepare it and cook it when the urge comes over them; they ALL require that a human put food on them, and then operate the controls to cook it, right? That at least implies the existence of people, right? I mean, who would make such a thing if there were no people to use it, right? Good, so far.

Similarly, since it is inconceivably that evolutionists and atheists should not burn in hell <explain this leap for me?>and since hell like the propane grill could not operate itself of its own volition, the devil has to exist to operate the thing, right? You know, the grand imperial master of atheists and evolutionists? And since the devil would create total evil in our world if operating in the absence of God and since the world is not totally, 100% evil and f**ked up, therefore also God has to exist, QED.

Not sharpshooting, exactly, but why is it inconceivable, unless you already accept certain beliefs, which gets you into a bad case of circular reasoning.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:58 pm
Well, hell's bells, I've got to say I'm one of those who think the person I am exists for just a bit of time more and that's it. Common sense tells me my cells will become part of the greater universe, broken down to molecules.

What you see is what I get, and trust me, I'm paying attention to the now..
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:12 am
When I offer my lunch to my friends and they say 'why, you don't want it?' it cheapens my offer. Similarly, if I do 'good' in this life expecting a return on investment in the other one depletes the punch of my 'good' deed.

showing up in afterlife could be like having bonus tracks on my favorite CD.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:49 am
I don't think many people need an afterlife to live morally. It's a matter of right and wrong and besides even with the knowledge that "I" would cease to exist, I could think of it as something that strengthen my sense of morality seeing that everyone matters, and not me alone, since I have no greater importance than anyone else.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:55 am
Agree, Ray.
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:57 am
Ray wrote:
I don't think many people need an afterlife to live morally. It's a matter of right and wrong and besides even with the knowledge that "I" would cease to exist, I could think of it as something that strengthen my sense of morality seeing that everyone matters, and not me alone, since I have no greater importance than anyone else.

Without going into all the levels of morality here, I'd like to point out that you are showing a lot of faith in your fellow humans. I'd like to think that you are right.

On the other hand, a moral life can often be rewarded in tangible, immediate ways. So, maybe pleasure-pain still applies.

Ultimately, I was curious to see the connection (if any) between religion and a reliance on outside stimuli to bring about moral action. In simpler terms,"Does religion remove the need to be moral for the sake of morality alone?" And, "How many of those people who act morally for the sake of religion would still act morally if there was no judgement.

I think the answer is actually much more complex than this. You can find examples of hindu, jewish, muslim, or christian believers that rely on pleasure-pain (or punishment-reward) to direct them to act morally. You can also find examples of believers who feel that they act morally for the sake of the moral action. This has been called the low road vs. the high road of religious morality.

Another aspect of the high road is a tendency to look at intent rather than action. But, that may be a discussion for another thread.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:06 am
I believe in reincarnation, past lives, etc....energy can't be destroyed so we have to go somewhere even if it's just floating around as particles in the universe. But I think you die and come back. As a human. Not as a leaf or a hunk of meat or whatever. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
Quote:
Without going into all the levels of morality here, I'd like to point out that you are showing a lot of faith in your fellow humans. I'd like to think that you are right.

On the other hand, a moral life can often be rewarded in tangible, immediate ways. So, maybe pleasure-pain still applies.

Ultimately, I was curious to see the connection (if any) between religion and a reliance on outside stimuli to bring about moral action. In simpler terms,"Does religion remove the need to be moral for the sake of morality alone?" And, "How many of those people who act morally for the sake of religion would still act morally if there was no judgement.

I think the answer is actually much more complex than this. You can find examples of hindu, jewish, muslim, or christian believers that rely on pleasure-pain (or punishment-reward) to direct them to act morally. You can also find examples of believers who feel that they act morally for the sake of the moral action. This has been called the low road vs. the high road of religious morality.

Another aspect of the high road is a tendency to look at intent rather than action. But, that may be a discussion for another thread.

I used to think like that, because I was conditioned so much to thinking that way (used to be religious). You're right that it'd be hard for a religious person to accept morality for the sake of it because they have been taught it in terms of personal pleasure and pain thing. There's probably less emphasis on empathy during development, but I'm stretching it here. I was listening to a person discussing this issue to another person. One of them is atheist, the other person is religious. Anyways the religious guy asked what the point was care about people or something like that if there is no morality, and the atheist answered because it would be mean to not care about people.

I was stuck on the very same question until I came about, well first I came about Buddhism and its philosophy, and then I found that there is a field of philosophy that studies right and wrong and it has rarely to do with the presence of God.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:51 pm
I believe in God.

I also believe that sane people understand the difference between right
and wrong, and understand that they should do the right thing. This is
true whether or not they subscribe to a belief system that includes
reward/punishment in an afterlife.

For some people, conscience is enough. For others it is not. What keeps
them on the straight and narrow is fear of punishment, not in the next life
but in this life.

I wonder how many people do good and avoid evil purely out of fear of
retribution after death. Very few, I bet, even among believers.
0 Replies

LuckyStar

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Well, beliving and not believing in afterlife is really deciding whether we are gonna make something out of our life, you know what I mean?

Personaly I really dont know what I belive in. Not yet. My body will most certain disperse and become one with nature eventually, and that feels good. Because then I will always be one with nature in one way. And the only thing I can hope for is that the people I know, my future children etc will remember me and in that way pass me on.

When I was little I used to imagen death. Or what It felt like when you were dead. Or when there was no "world" anymore, when nothing exists anymore. No humans, animals, plants, air. Just a big nowhere. Try to think about that and see how you feel. Its scary really. Because it will happen eventually. Even if you belive there is a life after this one. Because nothing can exist forever. Or can it?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:52 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Similarly, since it is inconceivably that evolutionists and atheists should not burn in hell and since hell like the propane grill could not operate itself of its own volition, the devil has to exist to operate the thing, right? You know, the grand imperial master of atheists and evolutionists? And since the devil would create total evil in our world if operating in the absence of God and since the world is not totally, 100% evil and f**ked up, therefore also God has to exist, QED.

The difference between Hell and a grill is that we can see the grill.

Social philosophers have cited the 'Social Contract' as the reason why the world isn't "100% evil and f**ked up." No God needed.

In response to Waldo's query (which was, btw, a very good one): I doubt most people would behave much differently and not because of expansive faith in humanity. Simply put, it's in our best interest to get along, so we do. Some people might be more generous and better behaved than others, but in the end people get along with one another in order to promote their own self-interest. Wars and other conflicts result from temporary breakdowns in the social contract (this is a very fast and dirty summation of the 'Social Contract' idea).
0 Replies