Remember your first attempt at writing a short story?

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 11:31 am
Hey, terry.
What inspired you to begin writing? Was it, perhaps, a teacher? Idea
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 11:44 am
One of my teachers would read a biographical sketch of someone, such as Ben Franklin, or George Washington, and immediately have us write our own biography of the same individual, without books or notes. Many of them, Franklin in particular, were so familiar to me I was able to do a competent job. Mine were the only ones she read to the class. The details of Washington's life had not stuck with me so well, and I padded it with rhetoric. It was the only one I wrote that she did not read.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 11:49 am
Well, edgar. You were either the teacher's pet or you did a damn fine job of writing. Which was it? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 11:53 am
Both.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 12:05 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 12:13 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:35 pm
Hey Letty; hey Edgar.

I think the inspiration came from within more than from any teacher. I was making up stories as far back as I can remember. Actually putting pen to paper was simply a requirement at first. However, I was fortunate enough to have some outstanding English teachers. I always had a very vivid imagination but my seventh grade English teacher pushed me, challenged me. English had always been my best subject, but she was the first teacher who demanded more from me instead of giving me what I considered to be an easy A. She was working toward her Masters degree at the time and read us some of her own work in class. She was a very talented writer, but the class was more focused on grammar and semantics than content. It wasn't until two years later, in a class more focused on writing and research, that I learned to better understand the writing process itself and really develop my own writing style.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 05:37 pm
You know, Terry. There's a fine line between when to push and when to pet. That's not an easy decision for a teacher to make. The best that good teachers can do is not to hamper young people with innate talent; give them space, but guide them. So many wondrous thoughts have come out during the horror of conflict. Every soldier on the battlefield should have the opportunity to cling to thoughts of creativity. It really doesn't matter whether we are published or not, to know we might be, is enough.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 06:19 pm
Looking back, I'd say the most effective teachers I've had in my life were those who pushed me rather than petted me, those who recognized that I wasn't the type of student who often needed her ego stroked. To be honest, the teacher (actually a college instructor) I liked/respected the least was the one who constantly told me how good my writing was. I suppose by that point I was more focused on making my writing better and fixing what was wrong with it than just getting the words on paper.
I appreciate that teaching is a tightrope walk. It's not always easy to figure out what will motivate a particular student. I'm realizing that more as my own skills as a trainer are put to the test at work. I would have to credit several teachers with my skills, but not with my motivation.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 06:31 pm
applause, Terry. Why did I think that you were a man? Curious, that.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 06:37 pm
<giggle> The mistake's been made before.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
and that's why Mary Ann Evans became George Eliot. Love it! More applause. Laughing
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:09 am
Perhaps I'll adopt Terry Doolittle as a nom de plume. Androgeny will keep everyone guessing. Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:05 am
Terry, great short story for which I gave a few pointers. Your real talent lies in your ability to glide seamlessly through the narrative. It didn't take me any time to read it and I didn't miss a beat.

Bravo!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:39 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:48 pm
Terry.... Question
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 08:12 pm
Just happy you liked it.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 01:58 pm
Letty wrote:
Lorna, Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz . Love it! Reminds me of the song my Mom used to sing, Froggy went acourtin'. The end had to do with all of the critters gettin' eaten by a big black snake who thereafter died with the belly ache.

Thanks, Letty Very Happy

'Your soul winces' is a great line!!!

Can I use it? lol

Lorna
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Lorna, you may not only use it, you may reinvent it. Smile

It's recyclable :wink:
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:32 am