A2K polarized?

roger

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:57 pm
Well, if it ain't little Annie Oakley. Good. I was hoping you would get into the local culture.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:11 pm
Re: able2know polarized
husker wrote:
I felt that during the very extended election season A2K became more polarized than ever before and sense Schiavo is a heading for that direction also.

Funny, I've had the feeling that, in contradiction to the hopes we had logically enough entertained, it was only after the elections that the climate on Politics really went downhill. At least for a long while, a few months. Most surpising (and annoying), really.

I think the Schiavo threads have thus far been reasonably focused and - within bounds. I mean, in comparison (not a high bar to set).
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:56 am
Husker, sorry to sideswipe your thread. I just can't help taking a few swipes at Roger and I often make jokes when I find a situation this emotionally laden.

I appreciate your wanting only what would be best for Terri, but try to look at it from the point of view of being in her place. Would you want to live like that? Even if her husband had been abusive or even tried to kill her, which is far from being proven at this late date, would you want all the time, money and energy to be used on keeping you alive?

With brothers who have mental retardation, having done decades of volunteer work with people with disabilities, I know the strength of the human spirit and its ability to survive the most outrageous circumstances. Once, many years ago, I was called by the house manager where one of my brothers lived. He had participated in the Special Olympics for years, but had developed high blood pressure; continuing in Special Olympics was a far greater risk for him now and she asked me if I would agree to his continued participation. I asked if that was what he wanted and she said it was. I told her that I would far rather my brother chance dying on the track than to die watching TV. Our children and our loved ones should have the opportunity to live life to its fullest unless life is no longer a reality.

Terri is not disabled, like some have said. Her brain IS dead. Does she want to continue living or do her parents lack the generosity and compassion to let her go? I don't know the answer to that hypothetical question, I wonder if even her parents honestly, consciously, know the answer. I know this sounds cold, but I question the motives of her parents. I could never let my sons live in that condition and I love them as I love life. Only if they had made clear to me that they would want to continue to live regardless of their condition, would I ever, ever, consider keeping them alive in a permanent vegetative state.

By close reading of doctor's reports, family as well as court appointed, it is clear Terri has no real comprehension or recognition. Read the transcripts and there is no doubt that she is not alive in the intellectual or emotional sense of the word.

This is why the law is so important. Anyone personally involved can't be expected to maintain an objective attitude. The arrogance of outsiders lining up and making demands is turning this into a circus and the politicians--on both sides--are the most obscene manipulators.

It is quite possible for kind hearted, emotion filled people to be destructive in situations such as this. Have you ever heard the old saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions?" The law is the only way to maintain a civilized society in cases as heart-wrenching as this.

This has become a ramble. It is late and I'm going to bed. I hope this doesn't embarass me tomorrow morning.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 01:05 am
I agree that the last election has been a contentious one, and has polarized not only A2K, but IMO, the entire nation. The Schiavo case is merely an extension of that polarization.

I happen to have very strong views, but am open to new knowledge, and will freely admit when I have changed my mind, based on new information.

Saying that, the reason that I don't get too mad about these things is that my ego is not bound up in having people agree with me. I also believe that the only way for me to get at the truth is to listen to opposing viewpoints, and checking out those views against my own.

I also do not feel the need to defend my view, unless I am doing it as a means of testing the veracity of it against an opposing position. Sometimes, when a poster becomes too agressive with me, I WILL back off, and sometimes simply not respond. That is not because I can't defend my position, but because I don't want to. I have found that the most rational and reasonable people on this forum, the ones from which I can learn the most, are NOT the people who attack.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:44 am
As usual, I agree with Phooenix. Any polarization on A2K is no more than a reflection of the general polarization in this country at the present time. I've never seen the country so split on just about everything.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:45 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
As usual, I agree with Phooenix. Any polarization on A2K is no more than a reflection of the general polarization in this country at the present time. I've never seen the country so split on just about everything.

True True
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:30 am
Diane
Diane, once again I agree with you, not only because you are so smart, but because you have the experience with such dilemmas that most of us don't have.

I don't think A2K members are unjustly polarized. After all, it is the Christian Right base and their Republican champions who are causing the polarizing with their hubris in violating the constitution. I'm proud that many of us will not stand silently by and let the constitution be defiled.

BBB
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:32 am
Even though I've disagreed with Phoenix in the past I've always found her to be amenable to other points of view.And in the Schiavo threads her posts have made me proud. I didn't mind the contentious election but the aftermath was shocking. All the high-fiving on A2K made me sick. You'd think they were celebrating a landslide. Now the first chicken is coming home to roost as the religious right flexes its muscle in the Schiavo case.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:40 am
Bookmarking. I've completely avoided the Schiavo threads. I think I probably will continue that strategy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:55 am
I tend to avoid all threads where I am expected to have an opinion, I never have any opinions about anything (when I do have an opinion I'm wishy-washy about them)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:27 am
Nimh tagged it right on. The polarization here got much worse AFTER the election. Funny how it's always the other side's fault, too.

In the Schiavo case I don't even understand how it's a political case. The only ProLife/Choice similarity I see is that the decision is none of my business. The part I do consider worthy of debate is the determination of whose business it is. Considering her husband moved on and has a new wife it seems clear to me that the true next of kin are being shut out of the decision. Contrary to hyper-polarized belief; that's what I think is really at issue here. If Terri's obviously loving parents and sister agreed with Michael's steadfast desire to kill and cremate her, this wouldn't even be news. The fact that an oversight in law has allowed an estranged husband's desire to kill his wife contrary to the wishes of her non-estranged family is the fuel for this fire. Regardless of what choice is made; it should be made by her true next of kin. Were I Terry; I'd want my parents or sister deciding my fateĀ… not an "Ex" who started a life with someone else years ago. That's the part that makes no sense.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:11 am
Does it continue here Wink

I have to agree with Diane and Phoenix. I mostly stay
out of politics as I don't want to take beta blockers to
get me through there. Yet, sometimes I wander off....

I can appreciate a heated argument without holding
a grudge towards the person (hi Bill Wink), however there a 2 people at a2k I dislike for their utter aggressive behavior,
and I usually leave the thread should they interfere, just
because I don't want any interaction with them.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:35 am
:smile:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
testing ...

<grins - just joking ;-)>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:00 pm
It isn't you nimh Wink
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:09 pm
Wooops! Hey, nimh, careful where you test!!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:14 pm
hehhehheh ... ;-)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:58 pm
I agree with nimh, too. Seems like it got nuts here after the election--with exclusive threads, and such... It seems better, although there are still a couple of psychotic threads, exacerbating the polarization...

I don't think Shiavo has made it worse...just one opinion. I have come to beleive that there is an intrinsic difference in the way most conservatives and liberals view the world--and for the most part--viva la difference. We seem to work together even though we may deny it--and even out one another's excesses.

There is one poster, who likes to lob personal remarks, and then acts all surprised when she gets a negative response.

Actually, there are two.

I am their karmapolice.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:59 pm
I am not a "she"
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:05 pm
You are my hunk of burning love, temporarily on loan to the lovely Diane.

You know I think you're fabulous, cowboy.

But, you DO look like a she from a few vantage points...

<reckless flirtation with the iconic heart rustler>
0 Replies