A2K polarized?

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
What are your thoughts on A2K being or becoming polarized? A Polarized World? And at the end of the day what happens?

Any piece makers here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,778 • Replies: 56
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
not I.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:26 pm
I ain't polarized. I always agree with me.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:30 pm
dyslexia wrote:
not I.

not polarized or peace maker Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:33 pm
I prefer DA to a peace maker.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:33 pm
husker wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
not I.

not polarized or peace maker Laughing

I am and have always been very polarized which is why I am not a dem or a rep, I always seek truth over party (sometimes I even find it but usually accidently)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:37 pm
Roger, this thread is about Poloroids. What is a DA (as in District Attorney?) or a peace maker (as in Colt?).
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:38 pm
BTW, Husker, I can be very poloroidish, but I prefer to be sane, so I try to stay out of those crazy threads unless I need, badly need, to vent.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:38 pm
I think we're only polarized in politics. I get along with most everyone in other areas of the forum.

As for your other question... Yeah, I'm a real piece!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:39 pm
when you say the word "piece" I think thinhs like BPB would lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:07 pm
I was thinking about this a bit actually. Had a hypothesis about news sources. Haven't developed it yet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:14 pm
OK, I'll try.

I assume this has something to do with the Schiavo case. That's what got me thinking about it. To my mind, nobody should know anything about the case without knowing she is in a persistent vegetative state and what that means. I think that any news article or broadcast should include that information. I think that any news article or broadcast that doesn't include that information is being irresponsible.

There are some arguable elements, to be sure. But over and over again people are coming to the discussion saying that she responds, that she shows signs of cognition. No, she doesn't.

This is a basic fact, which has been at the center of several court cases, and which has not been disproven by anyone. The "evidence" offered in the form of video clips is entirely within the parameters of PVS and proves nothing.

So why do so many people know about the case, and not know this?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
When it comes to polaroids, I try to look at the big picture. Are there too many negatives on these threads? Probably so, but some arguments are really well developed. Others are just snap judgements. Just have to give it a shot. Did I miss anything?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:30 pm
Soz and MA--you both get an "A," but Soz, dream on sweetie. Accuracy? Tell me when and I'll buy the champagne.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
squinney wrote:
I think we're only polarized in politics. I get along with most everyone in other areas of the forum.

As for your other question... Yeah, I'm a real piece!!!

My thoughts, exactly. I talked with BPB a couple of weeks ago and can't remember liking anyone more, or quicker, after a 20 minute phone call.

You nailed the peacemaker Diane, but DA is double action. Peacemaker is single. Hasn't Dys taught you nothing?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:58 pm
I'm a piece of work, all right.

On the schiavo thing, I watched ebrown quietly change sides on reconsideration and then get lambasted on the next post for being one of Them.

Or, I think I saw that.

Yes, the schiavo case does cut a series of corners along the usual swath divide.

I am one of the folks with strong opinions who doesn't go there much since I am not particularly interested in arguing, not seeing much avail except by ... exceptionally thoughtful posts on occasion, not usually my own.

And yet I like the variety of vehemence and thoughfulness and stupidity (fill in your own blank). I do read most of these threads and I do learn and I do occasionally re-equillibrate by views.

I admire some people I vehemently disagree with. I don't always call them on my disagreement, since, eh, that is how it is.

I also admire some folks I have found irritating, but then watch how they dissect a subject well, from their pov, and get over my irritation.

And once in a while, you get someone who tries to look at stuff head on sans lifetime bias.

If anyone wonders, I'm in the middle, but my middle is lotsa people's far far left.
As if left and right make any sense, even I see they don't.

I think hysterics aren't in order and we can still converse.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:17 pm
able2know polarized
I felt that during the very extended election season A2K became more polarized than ever before and sense Schiavo is a heading for that direction also. Sometimes I don't think that type of polarization is healthy for the community at large.

My POV on Schiavo is more to error on the side of compassion for Terri. I'd say this is influenced some by serving people at the foodbank (not a religion thing) an example is when volunteers think a client is trying to abuse the system, it's just much easier to apply grace than judgement and let them have the food.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
Hey, Roger, you talkin' to me?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:47 pm
Welllllllllllllllllll, a lot of people are very indicting if you fail to succumb to their point of view.

I don't think this is all that useful, and try to get past it. How many change their minds by being shouted down, and if they do, of what value is that?

Not that I don't think various issues are vital. I just don't think bludgeoning has any use for my side, another side, or the middle or tangents of those.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:57 pm
That Merry really covered a lot of ground. No question about it. He's really focussed.
0 Replies