Has the Schiavo case Become a Political Football?

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:14 pm
I'm not aware of what Tico may have done either.
Of course,I came into this discussion fairly late.

So,I would appreciate some examples of what I am supposed to be aware of also.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:15 pm
Quote:
Mae Magouirk has not had food or water since March 28, even though her living will states that food and water not be discontinued unless she enters a coma or a persistent vegetative state.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/apr/05040806.html

mysteryman- And therein lies the difference. Mae Magouirk had a living will, what stated her desires explicitly. Therefore, IMO the granddaughter had no right to make the determination that she did. Terri Schiavo left no living will, so the law had to adhere to the instructions of her husband. Get the difference?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:17 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
Quote:
A more extensive review of the scientific literature relevant to starvation and dehydration appears in an article by Sullivan entitled, Accepting Death without Artificial Nutrition or Hydration.[Sullivan] Published studies of healthy volunteers report that total fasting causes hunger for less than 24 hours. Ketonemia occurs and is associated with relief of hunger and an accompanying mild euphoria. When ketonemia is prevented by small feedings hunger persists, explaining the obsession with food commonly observed during semi-starvation occurring in times of famine or war. Animal studies also suggest that ketonemia may have a mild systemic analgesic effect. Experimentally induced dehydration in normal volunteers may report thirst, yet this sensation is consistently relieved by ad lib sips of fluid in cumulative volumes insufficient to restore physiologic fluid balance. One study of healthy subjects suggests there is a decrease in the severity of experienced thirst associated with older age.

Mysteryman, there is very little pain. Read up on it.

HERE

I wasnt concerned about the pain,as I was the DURATION of the event.
She lived for 13 days,and that seems cruel to her family and her "husband".

If starvation is so painless,why dont we use it to execute condemned prisoners? Would you advocate that?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:19 pm
Interesting to do a search on the words "kill terri" here at A2K.

Appears the one who's entered those words most often is Foxfyre. (14 entries)

following along

Brandon (9 entries)

Debra Law (8 entries)

I thought Cyclo would make it into the top 5, but Cyclo was quoting Foxfyre, so that didn't really work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So who's in this oft-mentioned "Kill Terri" club? (classic rhetorical question)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each time I read the thread title, I think it should really read "Why did the Terri Schiavo case become a political football? and did it work out the way anyone expected it to"

The split here at A2K has not been along political party lines, and not along religious/not religious/religion lines. If that fragmenting of the groups reflects what's happening in the U.S. generally (which the polls seem to suggest), this case could have repercussions that the punters did not anticipate.

Interesting to watch.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:22 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Mae Magouirk has not had food or water since March 28, even though her living will states that food and water not be discontinued unless she enters a coma or a persistent vegetative state.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/apr/05040806.html

mysteryman- And therein lies the difference. Mae Magouirk had a living will, what stated her desires explicitly. Therefore, IMO the granddaughter had no right to make the determination that she did. Terri Schiavo left no living will, so the law had to adhere to the instructions of her husband. Get the difference?

I do understand the difference,I am trying to make a point.
The womans granddaughter is her LEGAL GUARDIAN,and according to judge Greer,that trumps EVERYTHING ELSE.
Remember,he said that the legal guardian had the final say on everything,so you cannot say that in this case the law is different.

This is the precedent that everyone was afraid of.
Now,a legal guardian can overrule the wishes of a patient,because the legal guardian has total control,according to judge Greer.

So,while this woman left a living will,according to judge Greer and the Terri Schiavo case,the legal guardian trumps everything.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I'm not aware of what Tico may have done either.
Of course,I came into this discussion fairly late.

So,I would appreciate some examples of what I am supposed to be aware of also.

Look through his posts and see if you can find one instance where he quoted anything I have said .... see how many times he answered my questions. He only expresses his opinion, then says 'I told you where to lookHe makes a statement, true or not and it's out there, the gospel truth just because he says it ..... he uses his opinion to validate his opinion. the same tactics Deb uses.
Would you kliketo be accused of saying something that you know you did'nt say, and then have to prove you did'nt say it.It's pretty lame behaviour.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:29 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Dookie,
For the record,I am not opposed to what the judge did.
I AM opposed to letting her starve like was done.
A lethal dose of morphine would have been better,IMHO.

Since her brain was liquified, she couldn't feel or think. She was gone. She left years ago.

Shooting her up with a lethal dose of morphine would have sent the right-to-life neocon lunatics into a frenzy, because in their eyes THAT would have been euthanisia in practice. It would have taken place AFTER Congress failed to convince the courts to decide to keep her feeding tube in, and the political ramifications would have been MUCH more daunting.

Imagine how the religious zealots would have reacted to their congressmen if they perceived that both Bush's and other rightwingers in power allowed Terri to be (GASP!) euthanized!!!

At least starving her BODY to death wouldn't be as politically explosive, and the rightwingers could maybe hope to pin some of this on liberals and Democrats. Obviously, the complete opposite has happened, as the Republicans continue to shoot themselves in the foot, and Bush's popularity continues to fall.

We finally get to see what these neocons are all about, and America doesn't like what she sees...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:42 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
Quote:
A more extensive review of the scientific literature relevant to starvation and dehydration appears in an article by Sullivan entitled, Accepting Death without Artificial Nutrition or Hydration.[Sullivan] Published studies of healthy volunteers report that total fasting causes hunger for less than 24 hours. Ketonemia occurs and is associated with relief of hunger and an accompanying mild euphoria. When ketonemia is prevented by small feedings hunger persists, explaining the obsession with food commonly observed during semi-starvation occurring in times of famine or war. Animal studies also suggest that ketonemia may have a mild systemic analgesic effect. Experimentally induced dehydration in normal volunteers may report thirst, yet this sensation is consistently relieved by ad lib sips of fluid in cumulative volumes insufficient to restore physiologic fluid balance. One study of healthy subjects suggests there is a decrease in the severity of experienced thirst associated with older age.

I hope this makes you feel better about it ....

Mysteryman, there is very little pain. Read up on it.

HERE

I wasnt concerned about the pain,as I was the DURATION of the event.
She lived for 13 days,and that seems cruel to her family and her "husband".

If starvation is so painless,why dont we use it to execute condemned prisoners? Would you advocate that?

I am not an advocate of the death penalty.

Maybe I should have posted this .... it is from the link I gave in my last post.
Quote:

Perhaps the most persuasive of recent articles is that entitled, A Conversation with My Mother.[Eddy] It is a narrative written by Dr. David Eddy regarding the progressive illness and dying of his mother. Initially published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, it was subsequently reprinted in the New York Times, eliciting substantial discussion and notably favorable public response. Mrs. Eddy was suffering from progressive debilitation, chronic depression, anemia, recent surgery and recurrent rectal prolapse. She expressed a desire to die and, in the course of relentless decline, asked her son for help. Dr. Eddy sought to provide his mother with the means to end her life peacefully. However, prior to obtaining a lethal prescription, she developed pneumonia and was hospitalized. Antibiotics were begun (we are not told why), but quickly withdrawn at the patient's request. When she began to improve despite the lack of life-prolonging intervention, Mrs. Eddy asked her son about the option of refusing food and fluids. (It was her idea.) He assured her that without nutrition and, especially without adequate fluid, the end would come quickly. She was elated and, following the celebration of her 85th birthday and with the support of her primary physician, she stopped eating and drinking. (Her last morsel was chocolate.) She died, peacefully, six days later. The description of her last few days is compelling. "Over the next four days, my mother greeted her visitors with the first smiles she had shown for months. She energetically reminisced about the great times she had had and about things she was proud of... She also found a calming self-acceptance in describing things of which she was not proud. She slept between visits but woke up brightly whenever we touched her to share more memories and say a few more things she wanted us to know. On the fifth day it was more difficult to wake her. When we would take her hand she would open her eyes and smile, but she was too drowsy and weak to talk very much. On the sixth day, we could not wake her. Her face was relaxed in her natural smile, she was breathing unevenly, but peacefully. We held her hands for another two hours, until she died."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:59 pm
ehBeth's quote, "Interesting to do a search on the words "kill terri" here at A2K.

following along

Brandon (9 entries)

Debra Law (8 entries)

I thought Cyclo would make it into the top 5, but Cyclo was quoting Foxfyre, so that didn't really work."

ehBeth, Thank you for doing the homework; it's very revealing how these people are able to use the verb "killer" so freely, and not criticize this administration for having killed over ten thousand innocent Iraqis - including women and children. Talk about hypocrisy; this one takes the cake.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:02 pm
Cake fork and plate
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:10 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Interesting to do a search on the words "kill terri" here at A2K.

following along

Brandon (9 entries)

Debra Law (8 entries)

I thought Cyclo would make it into the top 5, but Cyclo was quoting Foxfyre, so that didn't really work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So who's in this oft-mentioned "Kill Terri" club? (classic rhetorical question)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each time I read the thread title, I think it should really read "Why did the Terri Schiavo case become a political football? and did it work out the way anyone expected it to"

The split here at A2K has not been along political party lines, and not along religious/not religious/religion lines. If that fragmenting of the groups reflects what's happening in the U.S. generally (which the polls seem to suggest), this case could have repercussions that the punters did not anticipate.

Interesting to watch.

Ebeth, could you teach me to do a search? I can't' seem to figure it ot.
thx
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:21 pm
Re: Credentials
Debra_Law wrote:
WHAT ARE YOUR MEDICAL CREDENTIALS?

. . . The obvious significance of listing one's medical credentials is to establish oneself as an expert and the rest of us without similar medical credentials as morons.

Ticomaya wrote:
Might be my opinion, but I identified the facts that support my opinion, and the rationale I used to arrive at same. . . .

Gelisgesti wrote:
Your opinion is hardly fact and that is all you have given. Each person that frequents this thread is aware of the fact thata all you do is accuse with nothing but your opinion to back up your charges.

That's about as cheap and low as it gets and I don't care to wallow in the sewers with that ilk.

FACT: Gel has accused other posters of being IGNORANT (lacking knowledge).

FACT: Gel has accused other posters of typing a load of tripe.

FACT: Gel has accused other posters of being ridiculous and making stupid statements.

FACT: Gel has listed her credentials as a certified respiratory therapist technician.

FACT: Gel has demanded other people to reveal their "medical credentials."

Based on the foregoing FACTS, it is reasonable for people to conclude that Gel holds him/herself out as an expert because he/she has medical credentials, that Gel purports to have knowledge that other persons lack (hence Gel's accusations that others are ignorant) and others who do not have similar "medical credentials" are stupid, ridiculous, and ignorant.

If the facts do not support the conclusion, Gel . . . please tell us what the facts should mean to the rest of us.

Why do you call other people ignorant?

What is the relevance of YOUR medical credentials to this discussion?

Why do you request that others list their medical credentials?

If we have reached the wrong conclusions based upon the FACTS, please set us straight. We anxiously await your response to these perplexing questions.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:41 pm
Hey kids, we are going very far afield. It accomplishes nothing to fight amongst ourselves. This topic obviously has a lot of strong emotional ramifications, but let's not snipe at one another. It solves nothing, and simply distracts from the issue at hand.

I would appreciate it that if anyone has a personal gripe with another member, that they discuss it in private. We have a great PM feature at A2K that might be used, so that personal issues may be discussed in privacy. Thanks in advance! Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:55 pm
Yes.

I was just answering the original question of the thread.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:35 am
Interesting Geli.......thanks.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:48 am
SHOW ME YOUR STINKIN' MEDICAL CREDENTIALS, dang it!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
To all the people that have had their post criticized by me in a harsh manner I hereby apologise and say to you, Fox I was out of place, I'm sorry and I beg your forgiveness
Geligesti
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 11:18 am
Florida senator's aide resigns over Schiavo memo

Martinez: Senior staffer responsible for document

Thursday, April 7, 2005 Posted: 9:42 AM EDT (1342 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Mel Martinez said Wednesday an infamous unsigned memo passed around on Capitol Hill emphasizing the politics of the Terri Schiavo case originated in his office.

The memo -- first reported by ABC News on March 18 and by The Washington Post and The Associated Press two days later -- said the fight going on then over removing Schiavo's feeding tube "is a great political issue ... and a tough issue for Democrats."

"This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue," said the memo, which was described at the time as being circulated among Senate Republicans while legislation was being considered to place the Schiavo case under the jurisdiction of federal courts.

Martinez, R-Florida, said in a written statement that he discovered Wednesday that the memo had been written by an aide in his office.
Continued:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/schiavo.memo.ap/index.html

What do you think . Did he write the memo or did the republicans get someone who was ready to fall on the sword for them?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 11:56 am
I think he wrote the memo...it's typical PR talk. But he didn't do it alone. They've gotten a bit too cocky. And that's a good thing. Time for the truth to emerge. Yes!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:24 pm
Of course he wrote the memo!

Has there ever been any doubt about it? Heh

Ehbeth:
Quote:

Does it surprise anyone that the three you listed are the ones who use the most pejorative terms in this case? Smile Nice post

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies