What is KERNEL32.DLL?

Mustang

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 02:16 pm
My admission: I'm computer il-literate. Laughing Occasionally I'll get a popup which says 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down, etc.' When clicking on 'details', it states: '[program] caused an invalid page default in module KERNEL32.DLL. If program persists, etc.' In the past I just get out of what I'm doing and go on to something else.

But this time, it's a little more important to be able to get into the program. During the past two week I've installed and uninstalled Turbo Tax Deluxe at least a dozen times, and it persists. Last night, called one of the fellows at our Community Center who offer telephone assistance with computer/software problems. He told me to shut down all programs except Internet Explorer and Systray by using ctrl, alt, del [just found out yesterday how to do that]. Then do a disc scan, a disc defrag, reinstall Turbo Tax. He felt certain that would solve my problem and after I did my taxes, I could uninstall Turbo Tax.

Saved. Right Question Wrong Exclamation That piece of corn 32.DLL still came up. BTW, I checked into Turbo Tax's 'chat' support. All they told me to do was a disc defrag.

Does someone know another method for me to get my taxes done besides paying a CPA $135 as I have in the past? Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,954 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
Check this out:

Link to 32 dll error messages

Try this: Go to: programs>accessories>system tools> system information>tools> system file checker. Click "scan for altered files." If there are any problems in that area, the computer can either repair it itself, or ask you to put in your operating system disc, and extract a clean copy of a damaged file.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 04:34 pm
Hi, Phoenix. Thanks for the quick reply. I went through the 'programs, accessories, sys. tools, etc.' that you recommended. Came out clean. BTW, each time I do a scan disc, I check the 'fix all errors' box, or whatever the terminology is. Since there were no errors in the scan disc or disc defrag that Gene told me to do last night (he's the volunteer I talked to) he felt with having just the one program running I should have no problem. (That's usually my problem--thinking Laughing )

I clicked on the link you supplied. In my frustration last week, I tossed KERNEL32.DLL into Google. It brought up the same site. In reading through it, I found it's really too advanced for me. It talks about a 'clean boot' and from there I found it may take a 'system' disc. Now, I have all the discs for the stuff that was loaded on my computer when I bought it, but I also know you have to have much more of a computer brain than I to work with those discs.

One bright spot in all this, Gene's wife is IRS-trained to do taxes. Each Thursday she's at our Community Center doing tax filings for $25. I'll probably be first in line Thursday morning when she comes in. Wonder if Turbo Tax will refund my money Question Yeah, sure Exclamation

Gene (and a couple of others, also) make 'house calls', so I think after tax season, I'll ask him to come out and straighten me out.

Thanks very much, Phoenix. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 04:46 pm
Mustang- If you go to Google, and type in "clean boot" there are a number of articles from Microsoft, about how to do it. I did not supply a link because I don't know what operating system that you are using.

I know that it is not a lot of fun to troubleshoot, but it is a good idea to get at least some familiarity with the procedures. I have had a computer for 4+ years. In the beginning, I knew NOTHING about computers, and would have an anxiety attack every time something went wrong. Now I find that I can fix most computer problems myself!
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 05:43 pm
Phoenix, is this good or bad? When I got the ding that a new email hit my box, I closed out a site that I picked up on Google for just that thing! I'm going to go back to a few of them that came up and pick the easiest one Laughing Exclamation

Well, you computer experts are teaching me enough that I can pass on my 'knowledge' to someone else. While I've been on here, the gal in the apartment above me called and said she was trying to do a disc defrag for the past 2 hours and it hasn't moved beyond 10%. I was able to tell her how to get into safe mode, work from there, and lectured her on the importance to defrag and scan disc often. It's been about 3 months since she did one. That once happened to me when it was 176 days since I had done a defrag. No more--AT LEAST once a week from now on!

Thanks again. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:22 pm
Quote:
Phoenix, is this good or bad? When I got the ding that a new email hit my box, I closed out a site that I picked up on Google for just that thing! I'm going to go back to a few of them that came up and pick the easiest one

Huh? Confused
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:39 pm
Maybe Phoenix can chime in with her opinion on this, if she has used it before - but I repaired my annoying kernel problem (I used to get that message almost daily!) by simply repairing my Internet Explorer. Its as easy as a click or two away, depending on what system you are using. Its done through the Settings - - >>Control Panel - ->>Add/Remove Programs feature of Windows. It repairs and/or replaces bad system files. If you are interested, I'll give you more details, though it sounds like you are doing fine. You might ask your friend Gene his opinion on it, for future reference. I use it once a month or two with no ill effects.

Phoenix, it sounds like your "system file checker" does the same job that my Repair does, as far as fixing files is concerned, but I don't have it on Windows ME.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 06:52 pm
Larry - just saw this and I have the ME version on my PC. I looked for the method you suggested, but did not get very far with the "Add/Remove Programs" adjustment to see how you went forward with your clean-up. Could you please PM me the next steps or put it as a reply to this post? I think you were talking about something that worked on Windows ME, so I am interested. Haven't had the Kernall error for a while, but when I first got this system it used to happen all the time. So, naturally I am curious about this. Just in case, ya know?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:34 pm
No, no it's spelt 'Colonel', just pronounced 'Kernal' - he's in OPS or something. Check with Major Worry, he'll know.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:44 pm
Is Major Worry in the same battallion as Private Enterprise and General Principles Question Confused
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 09:54 pm
No, he's seconded to General Confusion :wink:
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 10:27 pm
Larry - what happens after add/delete? You said you use it to repair some problems, but what do I do after I'm there? Click onto a specific, or is there something else?

I regularly defrag, scan and clean. At least I've stopped thinking there's a little man sitting inside the tv projecting images and sounds.
0 Replies

ronmac60

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:43 pm
KERNEL32.DLL
MUSTANG, kernel32.dll is simply the 32 bit dynamic link library file
that handles memory mangement in the Windows Operating System.

When Windows boots up Kernel32.dll is loaded into a protected memory space.

However when some application you are accessing tries to get into that space, the protection device kicks in and tells you " Heh, this space is
reserved, YOU are in error so get out".

It is not a think to worry about and is usually due to faulty hardware or that you have Win '98.

As you know Win 98 is known for crashing and errors and blue screens and freezes etc. It is so bad that 100 of the members in our computer club switched to XP PRO and have never had a crash since, nor a kernel error.

However many will tell you XP has problems. The reason is NOT in the Operating System but because it is difficult to install, due to the many security devices it contains. It takes someone who is knowledgable to install XP and after that it is great. Ihave had every operating system from 8080,286,386,Win95, Win98 and finally now XP. I had hours of grief with every operating system until now. What a relief !
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:35 am
Ronmac
You're over here too! Welcome to A2K, in best Aussie non-accent!
0 Replies

ronmac60

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:30 am
MARGO, thank you so much. I am elated to be in such illustrious
company.

Sadly, ABUZZ has fallen to disaster, as would any FORUM that is completely unsupervised or monitored. Why a prestigious newspaper such as the NY TIMES would allow such anarchy is beyond conception. So, I am sure many thousands of us will meet again in able2know.

I am looking forward to reading your posts which are always provocative,light- hearted and appealing.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:40 pm
Ronmac!

Thanks Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes Cool
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 01:23 am
i believe it's like physical memory dump i am not truly sure about it but what you can do is go to www.google.com and search kernel32 and see what it says because i think i had recieved that message before and i went online to search about it and there was some steps in order to get rid of it so try it out see what happens
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 09:26 am
ronmac, thanks for explaining my problem in 'English' and not 'computerese.' I do have another question though, and it's only out of curiosity. If that space is 'reserved', I'm 'in error so have to get out'--what's it reserved for?

I do have Win98 on my machine. I bought new equipment 3 yrs. ago and have no need for upgrading. I just thought I could save some money on having my taxes done this year by using TTax. One of the advantages of 'growing oder' is my city considers a person who is at least 55 a 'senior.' I went to the Community Center and had both Federal and State returns done at no charge. Nice refunds on both!

I was pleased when I took the program back to Staples, I received a complete refund--no questions asked!

The work I do at home--Forecasting, Budgeting, Financial Planning presentations, Business Plans, etc.,--can be done on either Excel or programs provided by the home office of those I do the work for. Possibly one of the programs installed by one of the Financial Planners is causing the Kernel 32 problems, but I'm not going to be concerned about it any longer.

Thanks to all who contributed to my question.
0 Replies