How does listening to music effect the brain.

husker

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:40 pm
I got ahold of some great music that had been suggested - wow good stuff.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 08:36 pm
Husker, I have been listening to Moby lately, I love their music, for the most part it's relaxing music, but they do have some fast paced songs.

Give a listen if you have the time. Nice to see you out and about.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 08:45 pm
I'd think music effects the brain somehow. Think of how much emotion a song can bring out in you, whether it gets you pumped up, relaxes you to sleep, or makes you sad/depressed. Whether it's the rythym, chords, lyrics, I think it can be powerful. There are certain cd's I've had since high school/college that when I listen to can open up a whole bunch of memories/feelings. There are albums I have that can immediately get me fired up and so into the music I can't pay attention to anything else while listening, and really stirs emotions.

I'm sure learning how to and composing music is a whole other level...I can only listen.

For example, New Kids on the Block make me hang tough.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:39 pm
I have and do use music as a way of detaching, for instance it's a perfect way to detach when doing aerobic workouts. You know how that can feel, your body just wants to quit when breathing becomes difficult and the muscle burn starts.

I used music for long distance running, and boy did it work! I had no problem jogging at 12 noon on a hot and humid 90 degree day, or in the rain or snow. I was up to 12 miles at one point.
I didn't feel a thing, just put on headphones, turn the auto-pilot on and take off.
I once jogged past my uncle who I had known since birth and didn't even see him, oops. (he told me i did this after the event took place)

This method was very effective, for me anyway. It worked great on the stairmaster also, out of hundreds of people at the gym I went to, there was only one girl that could do what I did (stay on the stairmaster at the highest level for an hour.) I might have over done it though, my feet would go numb on me, it hurt at first, then I couldn't feel a thing, thats not good, I don't recommend that Laughing

I wonder what her secret was, lol.

It's a great way of practicing detachment, I accidently trained myself for about 29 years, what a life Laughing
0 Replies