How does listening to music effect the brain.

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:22 pm
Yes, its melodic theme is a great inspiration.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
Letty wrote:
Paula and all. Grieg's piano concerto in A minor. That's the one with which I am most familiar. WOW! Just listened to it.

I will have to give that a listen :-) I'm always searching for new music, or pieces I haven't heard.

There is something I noticed about classical music,...it dosen't seem to go out of style for me. I can get sick, or wear out a top 40 song, but I don't grow tired of classical pieces, no matter how much I play them.

And one more observation, music (classical more so) resembles nature to me, but not in an obvious way. It seems like there is a correlation I know exists but can't put my finger on. There is something about nature, math and music that seem "pure" and "likewise", but I don't know what it is, or how to describe the correlation.

Something for me to think about :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 03:12 pm
You know, Paula, certain music doesn't need description. It simply is. If you have MSN Realmediaplayer on your PC, the link that Raggedy gave me on WA2K radio is perfect. The rendition is by the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 03:34 pm
Yes, I guess I should enjoy my music minus trying to label it, but it keeps popping up in my mind.

I do have have Realmediaplayer and I shall give that particular piece a listen, thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 03:44 pm
paula, I didn't say that quite right. Here is the link, anyway. Not real player--Media player:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002A21/ref=pm_dp_ln_m_2/103-5879789-6468655?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples

JL, Do you have that on your Mac?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:50 pm
Letty, I don't have it. As I told you before, I'm old fashion: I still use CDs and I'm still adjusting to the ball point pen.
Paula, I too never tire of classical music. I guess that's why it's called classical. And I agree, there is something profoundly "pure" about music. It has been said that mathematics is the language of nature. I feel that is more so for music. But perhaps that can be explained by my mathematical illiteracy.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:59 pm
what is the music that one falls asleep to - I'll give it a try -
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:17 am
Quote:
paulaj wrote: And one more observation, music (classical more so) resembles nature to me, but not in an obvious way. It seems like there is a correlation I know exists but can't put my finger on. There is something about nature, math and music that seem "pure" and "likewise", but I don't know what it is, or how to describe the correlation.

paulaj I suspect you would LOVE reading "Chaos" by James Gleick. It opens your mind to understanding the physical relationships underlying all of nature...eg why some days the clouds look exactly like the fur on my cat's belly or ripples on the water.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:32 am
Quote:
what is the music that one falls asleep to - I'll give it a try -

...try the Goldberg Variations. Evidently that's the reason Bach wrote it, to put some blue-blooded insomniac to sleep - and it worked! If that won't do try Tschaikovsky's 1812 overture...the one with the cannons at the end hailing the Russian victory over Napoleon. You could knock yourself out with this one!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 01:30 am
Yes, Anitra's dance is a beautiful piece. Other beautiful pieces are morning mood and in the hall of the mountain king. Moody pieces.

Sleep to music? I cannot do that. If the music is good I cannot fall asleep if it's bad I don't want to lisen to it.

Letty, he rapped your fingers? What a rotten teacher. Yesterday I read about someone who didn't get to practice music in school because they had such a talent that it would discourage the other less talented students... I can't begin to exclaim how much is wrong with that kind of thinking. Come to think of it, it might be in this thread...

I've already surpassed most of the teachers I ever had over the years, and they all delighted in getting to teach someone who had so much talent. None ever held me back on account of it.

I've experienced that in englishclasses though. Once, my teacher told the class that there is no difference between "would" and "could". They were identical, he said. I proved him wrong in front of the entire class, and that affected my grade. I can live with that. The fact that it took me two hours to clarify this simple problem is more disturbing when I think about the people attending that school after me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:27 am
Paula, this has really turned into a most probing topic.

JL, if you purchase cd's, you aren't old fashioned. <smile> Now if you continue to write with a quill and on a scroll, well..............

Cyracuz, No, no! No one ever rapped me on the knuckles with a ruler. My piano teacher was a patient saint, but so many music teachers kill the spirit of talent with the attitude of--"Do it my way or else..". That is a metaphorical rap, and reinforces the idea that all music is mathematical. I felt the rhythm and the beat, but reading the time signature was difficult for me and still is. If I hear it; I can get it, even the fugue. Razz
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:56 am
I'm not from around here, so what exactly is music?

If music affects the brain does the brain also affect music? That is, is experience (listening) passive or active?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:52 pm
and twyvel comes in velvet moss,
In active and in passive voice.

Razz
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 01:51 pm
Quote:
That is, is experience (listening) passive or active?

Depends on whether you're meditating or conducting. One could make you a philosopher and the other could make you live 20 years longer. I'd try both!
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 02:09 pm
Eorl wrote:

paulaj I suspect you would LOVE reading "Chaos" by James Gleick. It opens your mind to understanding the physical relationships underlying all of nature...eg why some days the clouds look exactly like the fur on my cat's belly or ripples on the water.

Well that does sound like a good book to read, thank you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
Yes, Cyracuz, if that teacher were right the phrases "I would if I could" and "I could if I would" would mean or say the same thing. Obviously they do not.
You wouldn't need a dictionary to prove him wrong.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
No I didn't need a dictionary. It turned out however that the teachers problem was not the english language, just language in general. Some time later we had a discussion where he said that there was no difference between "the arrangement is postponed" and "the arrangement is cancelled". Again I spoke up. Not alone that time, thankfully.

It is my opinion that this man should not be teaching in a school where the students are above twelve years.
0 Replies

katelynndevere

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:09 pm
music and the brain
There has been a vast amount of research done in this area. You can find info about this at the following sites.

Sites with information about research into the effect of music on the neurology or physiology of the listener

All visited on March 27th 2005

Music 'makes the brain learn better' http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3095807.stm

The HeartMath Report http://www.heartmathreport.com/index.php/C42/

Music Research http://www.soundtherapy.co.uk/resea...sicresearch.php

The Musical Brain http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/music.html#lobe

Music and Sport: Music hath charms to soothe the savage workout - or perhaps it doesn't. http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0230.htm

Music as Brain Food http://adutopia.subportal.com/healt...ain/110501.html

Listening to music can ease osteoarthritis pain http://www.news-medical.net/?id=186
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:56 pm
Thanks, Kate. And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:09 pm
Katelyn, the angel of music :-)

Thank you dear, welcome.
0 Replies