Drug Prohibitions

Ivory Fury

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:04 pm
The government shouldn't have such broad police powers. Crime should be more or less narrowed to a violation of another's rights, otherwise you're kidnapping people and taking their money and intruding into their lives because you disagree with their behavior out of your own morality and values. That is very wrong Debra.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:42 pm
Re: .
Ivory Fury wrote:
I was unaware that Tanneries cause heavy pollution.

They also smell really bad. You need to get out more.

Ivory Fury wrote:
But someone using drugs in their home without neglecting their dependents or harming others is not violating the rights of any and therefore untouchable.

You think that the only justifiable regulation is one that prevents someone from violating another's rights? What about traffic laws? Is if justifiable for the state to require a driver to stop at a red light?

Ivory Fury wrote:
I was under the assumption that drug prohibition supporters knew that drug usage does not in and of itself violate anyone's rights, and therefore they only wish to control the percieved wrong behavior of another. Like a parent in partial ownership of their child.

A parent doesn't even partially own a child. A parent has zero ownership interest in a child. We gave up ownership of other humans back in the 1860s.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:30 pm
I agree in principle on the matter that one can injest or inject what one chooses to. My grown up self has seen so many messed up lives from meth, a few from cocaine, dozens from alcohol, enough to give my pause regarding my own demand for complete freedom sans regulation.

Lots of people making meth in their trailers have explosions occur, with deep messes following. I've had a guy on meth - or more correctly, trying to stay off of meth, or maybe he was back on, chase me around my own house. Er, thanks anyway. People who drink, and I am one, sometimes endanger others in their own homes and on the streets. (I don't drive with alcohol in my system, and I don't attack others in my home, but some people on alcohol sure do.)

So, my answer to myself is that the ingesting is people's own business but the aggression or lack of motor control thereafter is prohibited when it affects other people/public safety..and even public space. And that is hard to separate as the aggression, etc. is a function, to some extent, of the nature of some drugs. OK, take roids for example.

I agree that prohibition has brought undertable sales, giant gang distribution networks with concommitant criminality, and sometimes dilution of goods with some poisons.
But... easily gotten goods have wrecked some communities or at least decimated the fragile - crack cocaine, for example.

And what one chooses as an adult is one thing, and chooses at age eleven when mad at one's parents, is another.

I would like to see drugs decriminalized, would vote for it, unless the particular wording struck me as wrong, but think it is not all so easy to just decriminalize wisely. I'd also like to see helper facilities to treat people who can't handle availability.

I'd like to see the world (sigh) rearranged so so many people weren't needing to obliterate themselves in drug use - but instead knew how to use it smartly. Oh, say, like italians and wine.

In any case, I don't think fury and slavery assertions are all so useful for change-making. Simple hard work to get out the vote among people who don't vote because they are disenchanted seems a better bet to me.
0 Replies

Ivory Fury

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:32 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Ivory Fury wrote:
I was unaware that Tanneries cause heavy pollution.

They also smell really bad. You need to get out more.

Ivory Fury wrote:
But someone using drugs in their home without neglecting their dependents or harming others is not violating the rights of any and therefore untouchable.

You think that the only justifiable regulation is one that prevents someone from violating another's rights? What about traffic laws? Is if justifiable for the state to require a driver to stop at a red light?

Ivory Fury wrote:
I was under the assumption that drug prohibition supporters knew that drug usage does not in and of itself violate anyone's rights, and therefore they only wish to control the percieved wrong behavior of another. Like a parent in partial ownership of their child.

A parent doesn't even partially own a child. A parent has zero ownership interest in a child. We gave up ownership of other humans back in the 1860s.

I need to get out more??? Because I haven't seen or smelled a Tannery? Ok.

Two reasons you've got to stop at a red light. One, by blowing through it, you pose an active threat to the lives of well being of driver's around you, violation of their rights. Two, public roads are State property, if they own it, you have to abide by their safety regulations when you're on their property.

For all intents and purposes, parents are in partial ownership of their children until they reach adulthood. If a child runs away, the guardians can ask the Police to get them back. A Parent can force a child to go to their room for bad behavior, or eat certain food, or do their homework, etc... Certain things that a child does require permission from the parents first. If that doesn't show ownership, what does?

Quote:
I agree in principle on the matter that one can injest or inject what one chooses to. My grown up self has seen so many messed up lives from meth, a few from cocaine, dozens from alcohol, enough to give my pause regarding my own demand for complete freedom sans regulation.

Lots of people making meth in their trailers have explosions occur, with deep messes following. I've had a guy on meth - or more correctly, trying to stay off of meth, or maybe he was back on, chase me around my own house. Er, thanks anyway. People who drink, and I am one, sometimes endanger others in their own homes and on the streets. (I don't drive with alcohol in my system, and I don't attack others in my home, but some people on alcohol sure do.)

So, my answer to myself is that the ingesting is people's own business but the aggression or lack of motor control thereafter is prohibited when it affects other people/public safety..and even public space. And that is hard to separate as the aggression, etc. is a function, to some extent, of the nature of some drugs. OK, take roids for example.

I agree that prohibition has brought undertable sales, giant gang distribution networks with concommitant criminality, and sometimes dilution of goods with some poisons.
But... easily gotten goods have wrecked some communities or at least decimated the fragile - crack cocaine, for example.

And what one chooses as an adult is one thing, and chooses at age eleven when mad at one's parents, is another.

I would like to see drugs decriminalized, would vote for it, unless the particular wording struck me as wrong, but think it is not all so easy to just decriminalize wisely. I'd also like to see helper facilities to treat people who can't handle availability.

I'd like to see the world (sigh) rearranged so so many people weren't needing to obliterate themselves in drug use - but instead knew how to use it smartly. Oh, say, like italians and wine.

In any case, I don't think fury and slavery assertions are all so useful for change-making. Simple hard work to get out the vote among people who don't vote because they are disenchanted seems a better bet to me.

I understand your doubts, I have the same, it all comes down to priorities. My first is liberty. It may not be useful for change making but it is the best argument in my mind.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:37 am
Ivory Fury wrote:
I need to get out more??? Because I haven't seen or smelled a Tannery? Ok.

If you need any other advice on how to plan your weekend, please feel free to consult me.

Ivory Fury wrote:
Two reasons you've got to stop at a red light. One, by blowing through it, you pose an active threat to the lives of well being of driver's around you, violation of their rights.

What if there is no traffic around? Whose rights would you violate if you drove through a red light in that circumstance? And would it nevertheless be within the state's authority to punish you if you did run that red light?

Ivory Fury wrote:
Two, public roads are State property, if they own it, you have to abide by their safety regulations when you're on their property.

This may come as a surprise, Ivory, but you're wrong. Most roads are not owned by the state. Rather, the state typically has an easement interest in the roadway.

Ivory Fury wrote:
For all intents and purposes, parents are in partial ownership of their children until they reach adulthood. If a child runs away, the guardians can ask the Police to get them back. A Parent can force a child to go to their room for bad behavior, or eat certain food, or do their homework, etc... Certain things that a child does require permission from the parents first. If that doesn't show ownership, what does?

Well, that certainly doesn't. A better indicium of ownership would be the right of parents to buy or sell their children like any other commodity.
0 Replies